shape
carat
color
clarity

Balance on the HW Micropave

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lizzee

Rough_Rock
Hello, a question to any of you out there who have seen the Harry Winston micropave ring.
We are having this ring duplicated with a 1.5 ct. diamond (don''t have the diamond just yet, I am in the middle of choosing).

Is this a good carat size for this particular ring? (maybe this is too subjective of a question)

I am not looking for a 5 ct diamond, but I would like a good size that stands out (that I can afford too) and I''m not really sure what that would be because I''ve never even seen the ring in person, only pictures on the internet.

Thank you

Layla12

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I have a 1.6 carat that I am looking to find a setting for it also and have thought about going with a similar look. I have received nothing but compliments and huge eyes when anyone sees my diamond!
6.gif
I think it is a really nice size- it''s impressive and you can find something affordable if you take your time.

Good luck!
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I highly suggest trying the HW ring on in person. I think 1.5 carats in a cushion is about 6.5mm is it's square... 6 x 8 if realy rectangular, and anywhere in between (assuming it's not too deep). That halo is VERY delicate. The melee are less than 1 point each and the entire ring is as delicate as a anything I've ever tried on. It's also made with many different center stone sizes (I tried on one under a carat, one over a carat, and one over 2 carats) and you just have to be sure to get the point size right in proportion to your halo. I have 1 pointers in my halo and I can tell you they are TWICE as big as the melee in the HW halo on a similar sized stone. That's how delicate it is. It's also VERY VERY VERY hard to set melee like that into pave with the TINY amount of metal that style needs. Microscopic and EXPENSIVE work. If done badly it shows. So make sure you have a designer who knows pave inside and out.

Layla%20new%20halo%20closeup.JPG

by stone is about 6 x 6. I was going for a HW look with my pave style (but not my ring itself) and while I LOVE my ring and wouldn't change it... the point size is too big for the HW look. It's all about the proportion of the center to the halo.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy that is fascinating. Its the small details like that, that makes all the difference. Your ring looks gorgeous even with (or because of ) the bigger melee halo. Its obvious that your ring maker was very skilled as it all looks so precisely set.
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Sharon, Ocean did a great job. I love my ring. The gallery wires are actually my favorite part of my setting. They allow for a flush fit band, which was very important to me.
Layla%20Halo%20side%201.JPG

Lizzie I know you are interested in the HW halo... but I thought I''d through another amazing cushion in a pave halo in for your consideration.
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/prodshots/253CO18.jpg

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/closeout-jewelry/rings/253CO1/24/ Daniel K has some of the finest and exquisite pave work I''ve ever seen. Just stunning.

Lizzee

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, what a fantastic ring, I love it. I saw the other ones too, but I like the one you posted the pic on most.
The rock we''re looking at right now is a 1.3, but it looks exactly like a 1.5 because it''s flatter, but it''s length and width are the same as the 1.5 (plus it''s not as expensive as the 1.5). Layla12, do you have a pic of yours you feel like sharing?
4.gif

I just don''t want to make the ring then find out that the rock looks tiny because I feel that the whole purpose of the ring is to make the middle stone the focal point, and I do want some bling. So with that type of rock, I imagine that the diamonds around it should be 1 point, like you said?

I think I am going to take my time, my finacee is a "let''s get this thing done now" kind of a guy and I am definitely not that type of girl. We have found a jewler here in Houston, as a matter of fact, he''s in the building as the Whiteflash people. The whole building is dedicated to jewlers and diamond dealers, it seems. My fiancee has known a jewler there for a while, I just want to make sure that I choose the right sized sparkly diamond, because at the end of the day, I can''t say I know much else about it, and I don''t want to be disappointed.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lizzie, the ring I posted the pictures of is my own engagement ring. And the center stone is a square emerald cut (asscher). I hope you are as happy with your ring as I am with mine.

Your 1.3 cushion sounds lovely. I would ask your jeweler to see similar settings he has made, and other examples of his custom work. I would also ask him what sized melee he''d recommend. Examine his pave work carefully, under a loop and make sure it looks even and straight and secure.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 9:16:32 PM
Author:Lizzee
Hello, a question to any of you out there who have seen the Harry Winston micropave ring.

We are having this ring duplicated with a 1.5 ct. diamond (don't have the diamond just yet, I am in the middle of choosing).

Is this a good carat size for this particular ring? (maybe this is too subjective of a question)

I am not looking for a 5 ct diamond, but I would like a good size that stands out (that I can afford too) and I'm not really sure what that would be because I've never even seen the ring in person, only pictures on the internet.

Thank you
IMO, the size would be perfect. But I suggest you go look at the HW. You are not going to have it "duplicated." Even if you want to get close to the design, you should get a close look at it first.

If it's not easy to get to a HW boutique, there's some excellent close ups on the ring by a lady on this site who got married in Japan. I don't remember the details, but the search function might find it. You might try to find her pictures, if only look at the eye candy. It's a gorgeous ring, without question.

I think her diamond was about that size.

Good luck.
35.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lizzie, I just saw your question about point size with your 1.3 (that faces up like a 1.5 you saw). In my opinion, from the HW rings I've seen the point size should be less than 1 point in that halo in proportion to a stone of that size. 1 pointer means 1.3 mm. I would go for melee that are about .8 mm... seriously. That's how delicate that halo is. I will warn you though, the smaller the melee the finer the workmanship has to be to acheive the look you want, the longer it's going to take to make that setting. Smaller melee means more stones to set. So your jeweler may prefer to use larger melee to save him time... and you money. As you are going to be seeing things in person ask to see melee of different sizes next to your stone. And then ask how many mm the setting will add. That pave style exposes the girdle of the stones on the outside of the halo so your melee size should determine the size of your halo. So if you have 1.3mm melee, you should be looking at 1.5- mm halo, so the smaller the melee the thinner the halo.

Also, I've seen the beautiful pics of the HW halo owned by psers... and they do not reflect how that ring looks in real life. They are extremely magnified and misleading. That halo is TINY and super fine.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
HW_sideview2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know if we ever found out if this posters ring was actually HW, or just a freaking amazing copy... but the delicacy of the halo and the proportion of it to the center stone are the most accurate to real life I've seen in pictures.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-cushion-micropave.104301/page-3

See how in the distance shots the halo is TINY... but in the close up shots the halo looks larger in proportion? The close ups distort the proportions. The far away shots are the most accurate to the real HW halo, especially this first one.

haloring.jpg

IMG_0163_2.JPG

IMG_0191_2.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

Lizzee

Rough_Rock
OMG, gorgeous, Gypsy. Do you know how big this stone is (ct weight)? It looks really big, no?

Unfortunately, I cannot get to a Harry Winston store to check it out...so do you think if you have a larger melee (opposit the HW which has a very thin one), it would look bad, I guess it doesn''t have to be exactly like the HW. My fiancee actually prefers larger diamonds around so that it looks more bling, he doesn''t want to pay for diamonds that fade into the background. I just don''t want to start redesigning it and mess it up.

The dimensions of the rock I am considering for the 1.32 (that looks like the 1.5) are 6.73 x 5.98 (H, SI1, and sym is good). I wonder if it will look too rectangular...I prefer a more square stone, but the price is REALLY good.

Wow, those pictures that you attached if that ring are just beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results