shape
carat
color
clarity

Bad pictures...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
...of my ring. I'll try to get better pictures in the sunlight tomorrow!

It's over a carat, platinum, colorless, very slight inclusion.

(Edited to add: Waaaaaaaaah! Can't delete the big picture?!)

134_3436a.jpg

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
I hope this is a smaller picture...

134_3469e.jpg

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
and another...

134_3452e.jpg

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
same as the first but smaller...

134_3436e.jpg

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
terrible lighting, but I can't wait to share!
3.gif

134_3442e.jpg

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations FN!
I think you should change the subject line tho - that ring is gorgeous! So classy & classic
love.gif
Wear it in happiness!

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
FN, BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
10.gif
Very pretty rock looks very lively!

I think your pics are very good, what kind of lighting and setting did you use?

Congrats and best wishes!
appl.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya FoundNemo!!

Love the ring and the pics aren't bad either!!

Much luck, love and Congrats!

win

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, is that the Cartier style setting? Niiice. Congrats!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
FN, very pretty ring. I really like the classy setting. Congrats on a beautiful purchase.

Shay

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for your kind words! I do like the ring and the diamond is really sparkly! But...(*long venting coming up*) *sigh*.
sad.gif

VerticalHorizon, you've got a keen eye!
2.gif
I've been lurking on this and the *other* forum for about a year. I thought about building and customizing my own ring but I fell in love with the Cartier setting and after much deliberation would much rather have the real thing than a H&A diamond. Good thing my FI - then boyfriend - agreed as well.
appl.gif
He had surprised my with the ring, it was more than I had dreamed of!

I had to part with the ring for a month, however, to resize three sizes (why did they make the ring so small to begin with?!) and to engrave it. Our sales guy was very nice and agree to not charge us (it would've been a few hundred).

Finally I got my ring back, and was so excited (that's why I couldn't wait to take pictures!). When I had inspected it in the store, I had thought that the connecting part at the crown was somehow a tiny tiny bit off-colored. Our guy said he couldn't see it, and my FI didn't have the best eyesight couldn't see it. Fine, I thought I'd accept it and that tiny flaw is what makes my ring unique and mine.

After I got home, I kept looking at the ring. And the more I do, the more I became unhappy. On the one hand, I kept finding flaws: one side is slightly thicker than the other side, the ring is slightly bent/curved up, the diamond is slightly tilted at the crown. On the other hand, my FI thought I'm paranoid and I don't know if I want to part with my ring for another month again! Not sure if I'll be charged this time too.

I'm confused! Should I accept these imperfections as the *uniqueness* of my ring! Oh alright, that was not really a question. I wanted the ring and FI got it for me for the setting, and now the setting is the biggest letdown...

Oh well, I guess another trip to the store and say goodbye to my ring again.
15.gif
I think we're gonna give our sales guy a big headache - we've already been back several times to get the *right* specification of the ring (size, engraving styles, etc.). I hope he's not going to tell me he doesn't see anything wrong with the ring and that whatever flaw I saw was a result of *handmade* craftsmanship.

Am I making a mountain out of a mole?

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/22/2004 10:15:28 AM icelady wrote:

FN, BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
10.gif
Very pretty rock looks very lively!

I think your pics are very good, what kind of lighting and setting did you use?

Congrats and best wishes!
appl.gif
----------------

I just turned on all the lights in the house and used the *tulip* on my G3. Canon is not known for their night shots...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------

Am I making a mountain out of a mole?----------------

Congratulations on your ring!

Your ring IS gorgeous, but if these little things are bugging you, I'd take the ring back and have these issues dealt with. With many jewelry pieces, I think it's weird to nit pick, but not with Eng./Wedding sets. Too much sentimentality with this ring and it SHOULD BE perfect so you'll always look at your ring(s) with utter fondness and plus, since you'll be wearing the ring for the rest of your life, this is even more of a reason to have it be EXACTLY like you want it in every aspect.

Good luck with this process and once again, congrats. I love this setting! It's one of my favorites
9.gif

Michelle

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring. I love the Cartier setting. I hope you get your problems straightened out so you can enjoy this happy time in your life and get to show off your lovely ring very soon.

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
That's a very pretty ring! I love the proportions of the band to the stone. However, I do think you should take it back and have it serviced. Tell them every one of your concerns and make sure they're all addressed. The salesmen (and women) are in the store to help you with your purchase, before and after. I'm sure they will make their best efforts to fix it....and then maybe you can indulge us with more pictures.
lickout.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Wow I LOVE that setting and it is very similar to what I was going for. I got a setting at a local jeweler and the display model was sized for a 1.5 carat stone. When we put my 1-carat diamond in it, it sat real low profile just like yours and I LOVED it.
When I received the ring, it was properly proportioned for a 1 carat stone and it looks DIFFERENT in the scaled down version. It sits up higher and the band is narrower.

Like you, I waited a month for it and I did NOT want to let it go. Like you, within days I started noticing all the little imperfections and such.
From your descriptions, it sounds like the level of imperfection is about the same as what I encountered.
Not glaringly obvious, but of course, to our eagle eyes, the imperfections are obvious.

So, I'll put in a vote for another point of view.
This is only because I was highly influenced by my boyfriend's enthusiasm (he thought the ring turned out great, looked prettier than he expected, etc) and I didn't want to deflate his excitement. So... I decided to give give it two weeks and make NO DECISIONS, don't even bring it up.
I even stopped reading pricescope much becuase I wanted to stop obsessing for a while.
Within a couple weeks, I came to love it with its imperfections.
OH, and I am no saint, I hatched a secret plan B. Through these posts I saw info about a company called Quest Manufacturing in Northern VA (do a search and you'll see pics).
Those folks have incredible quality standards from what I can see.
So the secret plan B was to go see them and just get the right thing made and swap it out quietly.
Don't ask me why I have to be so sneaky. I watch too much Alias, I guess.
Anyway, I do love the ring now and I get off on how much my boyfriend (oh I just feel weird saying fiance)enjoys the ring, too.. And I get tons of compliments on it.
(I bet you do, too, cuz your ring is GORGEOUS)
ANYWAY, you do what you need to do.
If you let this go & move on to something else, I PROMISE there will be more things to obsess over.
Now it's the wedding dress.
I'm just obsessed....... are there dresses with satin AND lace AND shows not too much skin AND looks couture AND works for a simple civil ceremony AND, still somehow looks chic & tasteful. I am 47-freakin years old (not sure how the heck that happened) but I am IN Love and so happy to be getting married to the man of my dreams... gush gush gush.
Well, this should keep me busy for a while......
GOOD LUCK whatever you do.
Your ring is amazingly gorgeous!!
love.gif

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
I've tried to pass off what I saw as my "nit-pickings", but there were just way too many problems with the ring for me to ignore. Frankly, if that was the ring I saw the very first time I wouldn't have admired it. I'm a bit disappointed because I thought that the quality of the setting was sub-Cartier standard, and am a bit baffled that whoever checking the ring did not see what I saw.

So, today I returned the ring to have the setting redone. I even gave our sales guy a drawing and and list of problems that I saw! He joked that they should hire me as the quality assurance person.
rodent.gif
I have to say that their service was excellent, though, and that I was always given the impression of "they'll do whatever it takes to make me happy". Our sales guy was very helpful and said that he'll make sure that they do it right this time.

So, I'll wait anxiously for another month.
errrr.gif
Hopefully, I'll finally get to wear my e-ring after I've been engaged for three months!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, good, I am glad the salesperson was courteous.

The other thing I meant to say was that if you take it back, don't EVEN worry about whether they think you are being nit-picky. They owe it to you to make it right.

Also, I applaud your ability to go without your ring another month! That takes conviction...

As my BF & I chose our ring, I got kindof indecisive at one point and my boyfriend's response was, 'don't worry about it. be as picky as you need to be - this way we'll regret-proof the ring'.

So you are regret-proofing your ring by getting it fixed.

I guess I was just lucky that the imperfections I found were just inside the tolerable line for me.

And, after I looked at your photos again I have to agree that I would have returned the ring too.

It will be SO WORTH it when you get it back.

All the best!!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful and I love the basket setting! I hope that they can get it "tuned up" to your liking for you.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a beautiful ring..Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results