shape
carat
color
clarity

Bad Parenting or harmless fun?

Is this blog bad parenting or harmless fun?

• Funny and harmless

Votes: 37 80.4%
  • Not funny and harmful

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1365888762|3426376 said:
I voted that for not funny and harmful, but I don't necessarily think that it's harmful. I do, however, think that it's not funny, in poor taste, and insensitive. To a degree, crying is a normal part of development. It's not really something that I would make a joke out of. Maybe as the kid gets older, he should start documenting (and sharing) his parents shortcomings and see how they like it...

Yes :bigsmile:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1365862819|3426170 said:
I totally agree with Kenny.

I believe this is a type of bullying by a parent who needs some kind of attention. This person is seeking this attention at the expense of their child's long term mental security. This is so sad.

Yes, all little ones cry. Yes, it is good to keep a healthy perspective about that crying, but to COMPLETELY invalidate your child's feelings in this way is horrid. My seven year old completely flipped out yesterday morning because I set out shorts for him to wear. You see, he didn't want everyone to see his legs. I am talking HUGE crocodile tears, completely shaken, 15 minutes of heart wrenching out and out drama. This boy was distressed. Did I think the other seven year olds children seeing his legs was an issue? NO. But this issue was very real to HIM. He needed love and reassurance. He needed me to sit down with him and hold him and genuinely give him my time. ETA: It is all about perspective for children. As adults, their "dramas" seem small, but their feelings need validation. Their feelings are very real and shouldn't be ridiculed or made fun of, especially on the internet!

You can NOT genuinely provide any kind of real reassurance to your child if you are then turning around and snapping a photo of him, posting it on the internet, and making fun of him. Oh, and all in the name of getting attention or making a buck. :roll: Let's get real here. This isn't effective, kind, loving parenting, no matter what kind of "funny" spin we want to put on it because it entertains us for a moment of our day. This is truly insensitive parenting and these actions will probably have serious ramifications in this poor boy's life.

I agree with this too...

And I feel that making fun of a kid for crying - especially a boy - encourages for him to keep his feelings inside. The boy will be a man one day...and we have enough men who can't express their feelings or feel it's not "macho" to cry or express themselves. I think that's a shame - for themselves as people and for us women (or men) who have to deal with their inability to express emotion later on in life.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results