shape
carat
color
clarity

Bad HCA score - (Garry)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
It is a 5.2
8.gif
! I am just curious that since it is based on a med. girdle and the stone I am checking on is slightly thick. Would the Slth girdle give it a better score, or a worse score.
It is a 2 carat round
SI1
I
Table - 57
Depth- 62.4
ex/vg
Gia cert. Strong blue flo.
Crown angle 32.5
Pavillion angle 41.8
Girdle - slightly thick fac.
16,475.00 I am trying to do a trade up with my 1.50 diamond.
any help is appreciated.
I REALLY want a slth girdle and blue flo.!!!!!!!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I should have said the girdle is slth to thick. Sorry!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not Garry, but this diamond is getting a bad HCA score because of the crown/pavillion angles.

Why do you want a slightly thick girdle so badly? Girdles impact performance only in a minor way and personally I think that a thin-med girdle is best because it gives the diamond better spread than a thicker girdle.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2008 2:55:44 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I''m not Garry, but this diamond is getting a bad HCA score because of the crown/pavillion angles.

Why do you want a slightly thick girdle so badly? Girdles impact performance only in a minor way and personally I think that a thin-med girdle is best because it gives the diamond better spread than a thicker girdle.

Ditto...

Unless you were talking about a princess where a thicker girdle can help make sure the corners don''t chip I don''t think it matters one lick unless it is super super thin or thick.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Low crown angles need thicker girdles.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Because Garry said to have a 4 prong engagement ring, I should have a slth- thick girdle is why. In hope that the diamond won''t chip.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2008 3:01:55 PM
Author: peppermintpatty
Because Garry said to have a 4 prong engagement ring, I should have a slth- thick girdle is why. In hope that the diamond won''t chip.
Medium should also be fine (feel free to disagree with me Garry), but get good insurance no matter what you decide just in case something happens.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry, I don''t know what low crowns need thicker girdles means? Does it make it better, or not? Thanks!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Garry is in Vegas and may or may not check in later today.

The diamond got the 5.2 because of the 41.8 pavilion being to deep.
Its not a very good combination.
It comes out as a potential ags3 with a slight ring of death.

A 32.5 crown would offset a lot of the added strenth of a sl-thick girdle so your not gaining anything over one in the 34-35 range with a med girdle.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now to address the girdle issue.
Garry said that in reference to people that are hard on their rings.
There are millions of people with thin to med girdled diamonds in 4 prong settings without issue.
If you do have a problem that is what insurance if for.

But people that are hard on rings might want to consider a thicker one to cut down the possibility of problems slightly.

I am not a diamond breakage expert but it seems to me that most of the time a hit hard enough or in the right spot to break a med. girdled diamond is going to break a thicker one.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks STRMRDR!!!!!! I appreciate everyone helping me. I''m trying to learn and all of you are a big help!!!! Sorry for another question, but what is the ring of death? Sounds scary and I''ll bet it is!!!!!!

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
I would not worry too much about the girdle thickness at this point.
First priority is to look for more complimentary crown/pavilion angles and if the slighly thick girdle comes your way... great bonus !

I have read that slighly thick girdle could affect spread because you are paying for weight you cannot see.
However, I own one of these "fatty" stones (Medium - Slighly thick) and I could not be happier with it. It gives me peace of mind because I am very clumsy and I drop things all the time. Less risk of chipping - you know I cannot be putting an insurance claim every time I drop this thing!
Plus, I am not really sure how much of a spread loss we are talking about.

slight treadjack... Is this what you would call a steep/deep combo?

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
You are very correct!
Garry did say that about the thicker girldes for those of us that are harder on their rings. I am one of those people! Thank you for making that clear. I would not want to misquote. Thanks again!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2008 3:26:34 PM
Author: lesco
I would not worry too much about the girdle thickness at this point.

First priority is to look for more complimentary crown/pavilion angles and if the slighly thick girdle comes your way... great bonus !

I have read that slighly thick girdle could affect spread because you are paying for weight you cannot see.

However, I own one of these ''fatty'' stones (Medium - Slighly thick) and I could not be happier with it. It gives me peace of mind because I am very clumsy and I drop things all the time. Less risk of chipping - you know I cannot be putting an insurance claim every time I drop this thing!

Plus, I am not really sure how much of a spread loss we are talking about.

slight treadjack... Is this what you would call a steep/deep combo?
shallow/too deep

shallow/deep can be excellent stones but that one is over the line.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to say that I am a responsible jewelry wearer and do have all of my jewelry insured and would insure all future purchases.
1.gif
I chipped one of my diamonds last year in my 2 carat 3 stone ring. I suppose this has made me a little neurotic!!!!
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2008 3:24:14 PM
Author: peppermintpatty
Thanks STRMRDR!!!!!! I appreciate everyone helping me. I''m trying to learn and all of you are a big help!!!! Sorry for another question, but what is the ring of death? Sounds scary and I''ll bet it is!!!!!!

Ring of leakage around the table visible in some lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results