shape
carat
color
clarity

Bad bad cushion bezel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kel

Rough_Rock
Ok so I need some help! I have a 0.90 cushion which was initially set in a 4 claw setting (apologies - am trying to post pics but trying to take close ups is hard and are coming out very blurry - please advise on how to take a good close up!)......anyways....I felt the stone becoming lose in the setting so the jeweller reset it - he also resized it leaving a big black line on the back (which another jeweller advised could break).....again the stone became lose so I gave in and decided to cut my losses and get a bezel setting - as the stone had become loose the jeweller reset this for free (luckily!)

Now some months down the line, I keep looking at the bezel and notice that the bezel itself is not smooth (hence why trying to take photos to show you) - I appreciate that perhaps only I can see this and not everyone else but it does bother me, especially seeing some of the fantastic work on some of the rings and bezel settings on here. Also, I feel (sorry this is a bit sad!) that the bezel actually takes away a lot of the sparkle and feature of the stone however I am reluctant to have it set back in claws because of what happened before?

I cannot really afford to have my ring totally reset (although perhaps in the near future) so what suggestions can you make? Should I say to my jeweller that another jeweller has looked at it and the bezel is not really right? Also the bezel doesn''t look entirely straight around the stone (I think this is more noticeable now that the platinum has dulled slightly).

Really really really appreciate any help that can be given or advice!

Thanks in advance.
London Chick

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately it sounds like you''ve been the victim of a bad jeweler. I have a bezel set, extremely well cut cushion, and the bezel actually made it look livelier than before, which is what should happen if it''s a nice cut.

Second, a cushion is completely fine in a 4 prong setting if it''s done right. If I were you, I would nicely explain to the jeweler that there are STILL problems with your setting job, that you are not satisfied, and you''d like your money back. Then take it elsewhere.

Here''s a picture of my bezel, which is how a well done bezel should look. As you can see the stone is anything but dull in the setting:

IMG_2134584.jpg

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Not to completely thread jack here...but don''t bezels take away some of the fire because the light allowed to pass thru the diamond is limited?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 9:39:02 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Not to completely thread jack here...but don''t bezels take away some of the fire because the light allowed to pass thru the diamond is limited?

No. Not in a well cut stone. In a poorly cut stone, yes.

H

hlpkaixin3344

My stone is F in colour and I think it''s VS1 so I would say it was a good stone (or at least I hope so!)

Here''s some photos - perhaps I am overreacting - am a bit embarassed to go back to the jeweller now as I''ve asked him so many questions over the past 18 months and sent my ring back 3 times (to be fair once for resizing as he made the wrong size, second for the loose stone and third for the reset because of the loose stone!)

If I went back to a claw setting (which I am not sure about) what sort of setting would be suitable? Or perhaps I could make the bezel miligrained? Help!

Sorry am trying to upload pics and they''re too big!

H

hlpkaixin3344

pic

Dc1394.jpg

H

hlpkaixin3344

Stone needs a good clean - hence dullness!

Dc1387.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately what makes a diamond sparkle isn't the color or clarity, but the cut. But that's not here nor there just a general comment.

Personally, that bezel appears pretty poorly done IMO. I wouldn't accept that quality of work, but that's just me. A jeweler who knows what they are doing should be able to set your cushion in any 4 prong setting made for a cushion shape and have it be secure and safe. If you decide to go that way I would choose another jeweler.

Milgrain would be lovely but wouldn't really fix much except to take away the look of the patina which can be polished out anyway...

H

hlpkaixin3344

Bit cleaner!

banana 226.jpg

H

hlpkaixin3344

Side view - (too thick Bezel or just angle?)

banana 227.jpg

H

hlpkaixin3344

Last one promise!

banana 228.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Look at Neatfreak''s bezel then look at your''s, even if you didn''t have all of the dent''s in the metal the bezel is completely uneven! that''s something that should have been noticed right away! your jeweler probably was trying to do some damage control with offering you the free reset because they probably realized they did a poor job in the beginning (and with work like that this probably isn''t the first time). I think you should get your money back I really do!

good luck!

H

hlpkaixin3344

Should I risk letting him re-do it?> And other than saying "not happy with it" (as I''ve had it back for nearly a year now), what other grounds could I use without being nasty or anything? I think long term I am happier with a bezel as it feels much safer although, sadly would like something that makes it appear more sparkly if that''s possible without going to a claw setting (don''t really like half bezels)

Thanks again!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 10:21:07 AM
Anonymous Wrote:
Should I risk letting him re-do it?> And other than saying 'not happy with it' (as I've had it back for nearly a year now), what other grounds could I use without being nasty or anything? I think long term I am happier with a bezel as it feels much safer although, sadly would like something that makes it appear more sparkly if that's possible without going to a claw setting (don't really like half bezels)

Thanks again!

Hmmm....I think unfortunately if you have had it a year now with the bezel it's pretty hard to now go back and say you aren't happy, but I would try (I missed that you had it for a year earlier). I wouldn't want him to redo it, but the bezel is pretty uneven, so if you trust him enough to try and even that out it would be fair to ask...but not fair to ask him to redo the whole thing at his cost IMO.

The biggest thing you can do to keep it sparkly is keep it really squeaky clean. Honestly, no setting is going to make it shine if it isn't clean! A little dishsoap and a small toothbrush and you'd be in business...

H

hlpkaixin3344

When you say it''s uneven - on which particular corners or sides? I thought this initally when I got it but I''ve had so many problems with engagement rings since 2005 when I got engaged (don''t even get me started on the amount of problems I''ve had with jewellers!) - I feel very embarassed but I know I should just send it back. Last time there was problem with the claw setting and the stone came loose he tried to say it wasn''t. I don''t want to start going to another jeweller in case I have more problems but at the same time, going back to this guy - what if he still can''t get it right?!!! His website designs all look really bloody good so I can''t understand!

Argh, I can never get my engagement ring right - good job my wedding band is plain eh?!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 10:25:14 AM
Anonymous Wrote:
When you say it''s uneven - on which particular corners or sides? I thought this initally when I got it but I''ve had so many problems with engagement rings since 2005 when I got engaged (don''t even get me started on the amount of problems I''ve had with jewellers!) - I feel very embarassed but I know I should just send it back. Last time there was problem with the claw setting and the stone came loose he tried to say it wasn''t. I don''t want to start going to another jeweller in case I have more problems but at the same time, going back to this guy - what if he still can''t get it right?!!! His website designs all look really bloody good so I can''t understand!

Argh, I can never get my engagement ring right - good job my wedding band is plain eh?!!

It''s just really roughly made and uneven. The left two corners are quite a different shape than the right two, unless it''s just the picture. If you put my picture and yours side by side, you can just see the craftsmanship difference even ignoring the patina yours has now.

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would definitely go to a different jeweler. I had a similar experience with a bad jeweler... I continued to bring it back, pointing out the flaws, and kept getting it back with more flaws. I think some jewelers just don''t have the skill or eye for quality. (my ring had messy soldering and crooked setting and he said it was fine...?)
Anyway, I don''t think your problem will be solved with this particular jeweler.
Good Luck!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 10:25:14 AM
Anonymous Wrote:
When you say it's uneven - on which particular corners or sides? I thought this initally when I got it but I've had so many problems with engagement rings since 2005 when I got engaged (don't even get me started on the amount of problems I've had with jewellers!) - I feel very embarassed but I know I should just send it back. Last time there was problem with the claw setting and the stone came loose he tried to say it wasn't. I don't want to start going to another jeweller in case I have more problems but at the same time, going back to this guy - what if he still can't get it right?!!! His website designs all look really bloody good so I can't understand!

Last time there was problem with the claw setting and the stone came loose he tried to say it wasn't.

That is very unprofessional IMO and a HUGE warning sign. If you knew there was a problem and your stone was loose and he said it wasn't I would have immediatly taken my business elsewhere. Sounds like he doesn't want to take ownership over something so small. Yeah that happens fix it and move on don't deny it, then offer to reset it for free and do a cheap job! I think he is trying to appease you to keep your business but I don't think that he deserves it.

Go around I'm sure there are jewelers that can do at least a DECENT job and not be so expensive. But if you keep going back to him I think it might get worse!

that's just my opinion tho.

H

hlpkaixin3344

do you think I could get away with saying that I recently had it valued etc by a jewellery/insurance expert or whatever and they commented on the poor setting? Failing that, I might just have to cut my losses and get it reset? this is doing my head in - earlier I decided to ignore it and that it was fine but having come on here rather a lot I''ve realised that perhaps his workmanship isn''t that great after all.....:(

If anyone can suggest an ace jeweller who isn''t over priced in London then cool!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 10:33:16 AM
Anonymous Wrote:
do you think I could get away with saying that I recently had it valued etc by a jewellery/insurance expert or whatever and they commented on the poor setting? Failing that, I might just have to cut my losses and get it reset? this is doing my head in - earlier I decided to ignore it and that it was fine but having come on here rather a lot I've realised that perhaps his workmanship isn't that great after all.....:(

If anyone can suggest an ace jeweller who isn't over priced in London then cool!

I never think it's a good idea to lie...honestly, it will be a hard case to make if you've had it for a year. And I probably wouldn't trust him again anyway after he's messed up so many times to do something big...

You could take it in for a polish and ask him if he can make the edges a bit more even while he's at it...but it still probably won't be perfect.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 9:30:27 AM
Author: neatfreak
Unfortunately it sounds like you''ve been the victim of a bad jeweler. I have a bezel set, extremely well cut cushion, and the bezel actually made it look livelier than before, which is what should happen if it''s a nice cut.

Second, a cushion is completely fine in a 4 prong setting if it''s done right. If I were you, I would nicely explain to the jeweler that there are STILL problems with your setting job, that you are not satisfied, and you''d like your money back. Then take it elsewhere.

Here''s a picture of my bezel, which is how a well done bezel should look. As you can see the stone is anything but dull in the setting:

Sorry for thje thread jack:
Neatfreak, I have never seen your rings up close before. What a beautiful stone! Really stunning!
30.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 10:43:46 AM
Author: iluvcarats

Sorry for thje thread jack:

Neatfreak, I have never seen your rings up close before. What a beautiful stone! Really stunning!
30.gif

Aww thanks ILC! I love it. Mark at Engagement Rings Direct found me the stone and after my mishap with my first ring also executed my design for this one. He's great.

Sorry Kel!

H

hlpkaixin3344

Hey dont you apologise! Your ring is gorgeous! I''m just glad someone had some luck with theirs! Thanks so much for the advice - I''m still debating whether to contact this jeweller direct and ask for him to make a new one free of charge or whether to pay out (again!) and get someone else to sort it in the same design (and risk even more problems!) Longont story - My first ring broke, had it made again and it broke AGAIN, remade and remade wrong - then told by advisor that stone wasn''t as sold! Sold that ring and got cushion stone from US and then all these problems with this UK jeweller - I only want a little bit of bling, is that too much to ask?!!!!

H

hlpkaixin3344

One more thing - on your ring the corners are angled - what''s preferable to people, angled or rounded? I dont want to lose the cushion shape! Goodness, I''m paranoid aren''t I?!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, but neatfreak is right about your bezel not being the best of craftsmanship. Since it's been a year, you've had plenty of time to determine the setting isn't as you'd have liked so it's innappropriate to expect your jeweler to fix it for free. Go to a new person who has a better reputation.

ETA - if you cannot afford a reset at this time, then just take time to save up for what you want!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 11:11:58 AM
Anonymous Wrote:
One more thing - on your ring the corners are angled - what''s preferable to people, angled or rounded? I dont want to lose the cushion shape! Goodness, I''m paranoid aren''t I?!

Obviously I like the angled corners and straighter edges on mine to emphasize the rectangular shape. But your cushion is more pillowy than mine, so I think you could go either way. Just a personal preference. I liked the angled corners because I really love the bezel around the Tiffany Lucida stone.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Neatfreak I also just wanted to comment on how gorgeous your ring is. WOW!!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really like the style of your e-ring! The way the head accommodates the cathedral band is cunning. That said, I can see where the join there is a little uneven, and I can definitely see where the bezel around your stone is a rough.

Don''t worry too much about what to tell your jeweler: there are days when a jeweler gets to be an artiste, and there are days when a jeweler just needs to make a client happy. A finish issue? Would be the latter, and not the former. Since it *has* been a year, I''d say this is something you can expect to pay for, but I don''t think it''ll be a huge sum: you want the rough edges smoother out, and to have the ring repolished. And, given that you are going to be paying ... perhaps this is a good time to find a new, more conscientious jeweler?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is time to cut your losses and find a really good jeweler, and this may mean using a PS recommended company if you are okay with that. Look around, find a place where they make gorgeos settings and then let them do the work. You will pay for better quality--I used to see a crappy jeweler who charged only $500 for his custom wg settings, and the craftsmanship was only okay. For a really great quality wg setting with any detailing or custom, you will pay about double that.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 1:20:27 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
I think it is time to cut your losses and find a really good jeweler, and this may mean using a PS recommended company if you are okay with that. Look around, find a place where they make gorgeos settings and then let them do the work. You will pay for better quality--I used to see a crappy jeweler who charged only $500 for his custom wg settings, and the craftsmanship was only okay. For a really great quality wg setting with any detailing or custom, you will pay about double that.
I agree, save up for something you really love! It will be worth it in the long run!

and off topic but OMG dreamer_dachsie your puppies are so cute (I have a piebald doxie myself)!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results