shape
carat
color
clarity

back from nat hist museum...

gongli

Rough_Rock
so i went to the natural history museum in nyc today with my toddler.. we looked at the stuffed animals, butterflies (awesome), then i managed to get us down to the gem collection. i'd say i had anywhere from 86 to 94 soothing and leisurely seconds of concentrated viewing... but it was amazing! ive only starting reading about gems, but the first thing i saw as i walked in was a 5ct rich deep red, gorgeous... diamond! i was really glad that i can now appreciate how rare that is and how lucky i am to have seen it.

next i saw the sapphire case... amazing... before i only really "got" ruby and blue sapphire, now i "get" all the colors. they have a look that is unlike anything else. then the emerald roughs, i really thought the emeralds weren't as heavily represented as they should be. on to the... star of india!! another one, i didn't understand what it meant to be transparent and be a star sapphire... amazing.. sought out some orthoclase feldspars with shiller (moonstone), but that again seemed like it was a little underrepresented.. they didn't seem "gem" quality, or i have no idea what that means.. they weren't transparent, and i actually think that some of the people here have ones atleast as good (there was someone who had an amazing collection they posted recently but i can't find).

but the one that i remember the most is the 100.18ct pad in the sapphire case... out of this world. now i want a pad, but i don't want a pad, because i don't think anything will look that that one. it had more tone than i thought, fully saturated, and the color was amazingly delicate and on fire at the same time.... unforgettable, even though i probably spent about 20 seconds looking at it total today...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You must have had a wonderful day! I envy you!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the report! I love that place. My late aunt used to take me there when I was a kid.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1318696147|3040978 said:
Thanks for the report! I love that place. My late aunt used to take me there when I was a kid.

Danny, that is so cool that your Aunt took you there - she must have been a great Aunt!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, minousbijoux. She used to take me on the Metro North train to the City and we did all the tourist things. My whole childhood. I hadn't even thought about that in my grief. She was phenomenal!

gongli

Rough_Rock

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're welcome! Did you see the big block of imperial topaz? That's quite some colour.

SneakyBF

Rough_Rock
Its on the other coast but San Diego Natural History Museum has a cross pendant made with 11 natural red diamonds thats absolutely awesome. There are actually blue diamonds at the chain loop as well. There are a bunch of other great stones as well although I found a few with pretty bad windows so you can play critic as well. The state stone case if I recall had a prety badly windowed stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a brilliant trip! I love walking around museums. Were you allowed to take photos?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SneakyBF|1318877086|3042122 said:
Its on the other coast but San Diego Natural History Museum has a cross pendant made with 11 natural red diamonds thats absolutely awesome. There are actually blue diamonds at the chain loop as well. There are a bunch of other great stones as well although I found a few with pretty bad windows so you can play critic as well. The state stone case if I recall had a prety badly windowed stone.

Thank you for telling us! I am planning a trip to San Diego and I never heard about their museum...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results