shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby's first post... and first Diamond!

boobear1986

Rough_Rock
Hello! So, I got married this year and long story long, my original engagement ring is lovely and sentimental but since then I've done a ton of research and I would like to trade up. My husband is fine with it, since I'm paying for it, he shouldn't have to shell out more because I want to be fancy. He has watched me with bemusement spending god knows what on all these diamond simulants, but I never thought I'd be able to afford a nice diamond ring.

I was browsing a different diamond pricing site, and found what I think is quite a steal. What do you guys think? It's not too late to back out, but I think the specs are pretty okay? For a first time buyer?

It is a radiant cut diamond, 1.2 carats (7.25 x 5.25) ideal cut, H color, SI1. The stone and setting, all in, was just over 1,000 dollars. From what I can see, the inclusions are pretty well hidden in the facets, and I love that there is a little warmth to it. I'm so excited but open to criticism. How did I do?

Last edited:
Congratulations on your purchase! If you have clear pics and vids feel free to share them, as with fancy shape diamonds what really matters is what you can see with your eyes. Honestly if you love it, that’s what matters! Doesn’t matter what any of us think since you’re the one who gets to enjoy it everyday :)

In my personal opinion, H is plenty “white” (I have no experience with LGDs though, so can’t comment if it’s different for LGDs as compared to EGD) and to the average, not colour sensitive or casual viewer, it will appear as white. SI1 is not automatically problematic if the inclusions are favourable. Just make sure the following comment is not on the report: “clarity grade based on clouds not shown” and there isn’t anything near/breaching the corners since those are the most delicate part of a radiant. Also that the girdle isn’t too thin. What is the lab that has certified the stone? I believe for lab growns the best labs are IGI, GIA, GCAL? Not sure if HRD or AGS certify LGDs but if they do I would be okay with those two as well. I would not want any other lab other than these 5. Definitely stay away from EGL and the ilk.

boobear1986

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your purchase! If you have clear pics and vids feel free to share them, as with fancy shape diamonds what really matters is what you can see with your eyes. Honestly if you love it, that’s what matters! Doesn’t matter what any of us think since you’re the one who gets to enjoy it everyday :)

In my personal opinion, H is plenty “white” (I have no experience with LGDs though, so can’t comment if it’s different for LGDs as compared to EGD) and to the average, not colour sensitive or casual viewer, it will appear as white. SI1 is not automatically problematic if the inclusions are favourable. Just make sure the following comment is not on the report: “clarity grade based on clouds not shown” and there isn’t anything near/breaching the corners since those are the most delicate part of a radiant. Also that the girdle isn’t too thin. What is the lab that has certified the stone? I believe for lab growns the best labs are IGI, GIA, GCAL? Not sure if HRD or AGS certify LGDs but if they do I would be okay with those two as well. I would not want any other lab other than these 5. Definitely stay away from EGL and the ilk.

Hi, thanks! It is IGI certified. The paperwork says "slightly thick". No, that comment isn't on there - and on the "clarity characteristic" diagram thing, where it shows internal and external flaws, it only shows two tiny red marks towards the middle. I took that to mean that it's not heavily included.

What does "clouds not shown" mean?

boobear1986

Rough_Rock
I can't seem to find the picture now that they've pulled the listing from the website since bought it. But it looked beautiful to me and I couldn't see anything wrong with it. But isn't <700 USD for a 1.2 carat stone kind of crazy low? Or am I just really out of touch with diamond prices?

Hi, thanks! It is IGI certified. The paperwork says "slightly thick". No, that comment isn't on there - and on the "clarity characteristic" diagram thing, where it shows internal and external flaws, it only shows two tiny red marks towards the middle. I took that to mean that it's not heavily included.

What does "clouds not shown" mean?

Clouds not shown means that the stone has so many small clouds that it is not feasible to plot them, but there are enough of them that the impact on the stone is reduced clarity. If the grade has been set by clouds not shown then the chances are it can impact transparency (cloudy or milky looking stone).

If you’d like more feedback then feel free to post your own pictures and videos + the details from the cert!

As for prices, I have no idea honestly. I am not well versed with LGDs! It does sound low but I am not sure if it is suspiciously low. Is the vendor a trusted one?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
For a fancy cut having a return policy is really the most important thing since it’s hard to tell much without seeing it in person. There is no such thing as an ideal cut in fancy shapes. At least not that can be determined by the numbers alone. So you will have to see what it looks like in person to determine if it looks white enough and sparkles enough for your liking.

I can say I just purchased the following from Friendly Diamonds for a total price of
$1041. A 1.3 E VS1 Radiant in a 10K white gold half eternity diamond band setting.
The diamond itself was $676 and the setting was $365 if you want a comparison in terms of price you paid.

boobear1986

Rough_Rock
For a fancy cut having a return policy is really the most important thing since it’s hard to tell much without seeing it in person. There is no such thing as an ideal cut in fancy shapes. At least not that can be determined by the numbers alone. So you will have to see what it looks like in person to determine if it looks white enough and sparkles enough for your liking.

I can say I just purchased the following from Friendly Diamonds for a total price of
$1041. A 1.3 E VS1 Radiant in a 10K white gold half eternity diamond band setting.
The diamond itself was $676 and the setting was $365 if you want a comparison in terms of price you paid.

Yes, there’s a 30 day return policy which is the only reason I felt okay with going ahead sight unseen. And those are very close to the price I paid for each yes. Thank you, that does help!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope it is even more beautiful in person. Do you care to share where you purchased it from? Let your eyes be your guide, loupe it, look at it in all different lighting. For me, a big test is what it will look like after it is set and gets a little dirty in its new environment. Alot of the inclusions start to appear and the sparkle factor is less. I have experienced that with a few diamonds after they were set. Also, I was told by one of the "diamond experts" at clean origin, to stay away from SI1 or less in LGD as they tend to show inclusions more. Was it a "sales tactic"? I don't think so because after looking at oodles of SI1's online (video magnification), they didn't appeal to me at all. I ended up going a color grade lower (I) and bumping the clarity up to VS1 to stay within a great budget. I paid 1,507 USD for a 2.07 carat round, Ex,Ex, Ideal cut IGI. I love the slight color too! In my opinion, the whiter the diamond is, sometimes they look a little fake to me. Ok, Colorless diamond lovers... don't shoot me! LOL! I do have some colorless diamonds too! LOL!

boobear1986

Rough_Rock
I hope it is even more beautiful in person. Do you care to share where you purchased it from? Let your eyes be your guide, loupe it, look at it in all different lighting. For me, a big test is what it will look like after it is set and gets a little dirty in its new environment. Alot of the inclusions start to appear and the sparkle factor is less. I have experienced that with a few diamonds after they were set. Also, I was told by one of the "diamond experts" at clean origin, to stay away from SI1 or less in LGD as they tend to show inclusions more. Was it a "sales tactic"? I don't think so because after looking at oodles of SI1's online (video magnification), they didn't appeal to me at all. I ended up going a color grade lower (I) and bumping the clarity up to VS1 to stay within a great budget. I paid 1,507 USD for a 2.07 carat round, Ex,Ex, Ideal cut IGI. I love the slight color too! In my opinion, the whiter the diamond is, sometimes they look a little fake to me. Ok, Colorless diamond lovers... don't shoot me! LOL! I do have some colorless diamonds too! LOL!

I got it from rarecarat!

boobear1986

Rough_Rock
Hope these 5F0DE4C3-5FEC-490F-BED8-EDA9CCDE7F49.png work,

Attachments

• BAD237D7-D71C-4F82-96F4-179DF5B585DE.png
    BAD237D7-D71C-4F82-96F4-179DF5B585DE.png
    315.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 96045C27-A2A3-4020-8786-F200966B31F8.png
    96045C27-A2A3-4020-8786-F200966B31F8.png
    187.1 KB · Views: 21

boobear1986

Rough_Rock
Clouds not shown means that the stone has so many small clouds that it is not feasible to plot them, but there are enough of them that the impact on the stone is reduced clarity. If the grade has been set by clouds not shown then the chances are it can impact transparency (cloudy or milky looking stone).

If you’d like more feedback then feel free to post your own pictures and videos + the details from the cert!

As for prices, I have no idea honestly. I am not well versed with LGDs! It does sound low but I am not sure if it is suspiciously low. Is the vendor a trusted one?

Thank you, I just posted some pics. Not sure if they will help. And yes, it's from rarecarat, it was in their "rarecarat deal vault" which I think just means stock they have in house vs ordering it from a wholesaler

Thank you, I just posted some pics. Not sure if they will help. And yes, it's from rarecarat, it was in their "rarecarat deal vault" which I think just means stock they have in house vs ordering it from a wholesaler

I see that the stone is a Faint Blue, perhaps that is what is impacting the price! That being said, faint blue isn't bad; especially if you like the look! I don't know enough about radiants to comment on the cut.

Rarecarat does allow returns I believe, so let it come, live with it for a couple days, and if you're happy with the look; enjoy your beautiful ring!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
The price is lower due to the H color being blue tinted - many people do not prefer the blue hue in their diamonds, but if you do, you can get a steal of a price on those diamonds that exhibit it, as they are generally considered less desirable.

Personally, I like the blue hue, which is one of the few times in my life where my preferences lower the price point of what I like instead of the opposite.

The cut doesn't look mushy (a common issue with pear and radiant cuts), so hopefully it sparkles nicely for you! Let us know what you think when you see it in person.

boobear1986

Rough_Rock
The 25th at latest, and I am already pressing my nose to the window waiting

The price is lower due to the H color being blue tinted - many people do not prefer the blue hue in their diamonds, but if you do, you can get a steal of a price on those diamonds that exhibit it, as they are generally considered less desirable.

Personally, I like the blue hue, which is one of the few times in my life where my preferences lower the price point of what I like instead of the opposite.

The cut doesn't look mushy (a common issue with pear and radiant cuts), so hopefully it sparkles nicely for you! Let us know what you think when you see it in person.

I just googled that, I didn't know lab diamonds could skew blue. Can you see it in the photos I posted or is it in the verbiage on the certificate? If you can see it, I certainly can't LOL - but if this is blue, then I like it too!

boobear1986

Rough_Rock
I see that the stone is a Faint Blue, perhaps that is what is impacting the price! That being said, faint blue isn't bad; especially if you like the look! I don't know enough about radiants to comment on the cut.

Rarecarat does allow returns I believe, so let it come, live with it for a couple days, and if you're happy with the look; enjoy your beautiful ring!

Yes they said 30 days return policy, for any reason, so I feel calm about it. I can't see the blue at all, so maybe I'm just not as color sensitive. My eyesight is not 20/20. At least since I'm looking at it with layman's "ooh sparkly!" Eyes, that won't bother me!

boobear1986

Rough_Rock

So, here's a probably stupid question. Would the faint yellow from a lower color grade cancel out a blue tint? Not necessarily in my stone, but just in theory?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
So, here's a probably stupid question. Would the faint yellow from a lower color grade cancel out a blue tint? Not necessarily in my stone, but just in theory?

A lot of people misunderstand that a color grade is based on depth or amount of hue present (compared to a colorless stone) not the color tint it skews toward. So you can have an H diamond that has a yellow undertone, or brown, or often in lab diamonds blue. Not all diamonds have a yellow tint (though that is probably the most common). I have a K faint blue round lab diamond. It's not at all yellow. It has a steely gray blue color tone to it.

boobear1986

Rough_Rock
A lot of people misunderstand that a color grade is based on depth or amount of hue present (compared to a colorless stone) not the color tint it skews toward. So you can have an H diamond that has a yellow undertone, or brown, or often in lab diamonds blue. Not all diamonds have a yellow tint (though that is probably the most common). I have a K faint blue round lab diamond. It's not at all yellow. It has a steely gray blue color tone to it.

Ooooh, okay I see. I can't wait to see it in person, i quite like the idea. Do you have any pictures of yours?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh, okay I see. I can't wait to see it in person, i quite like the idea. Do you have any pictures of yours?

There are pictures of it floating around somewhere on here.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock

What Jax172 said is correct - the amount of hue (saturation), not the color of it, is what determines the color grade. The hue color (yellow, brown, blue, pink, etc.) will vary. In earth grown diamonds, yellow is the most common color found. For lab diamonds, blue hue is found in HPHT grown diamonds, and yellow/brown is commonly found in CVD grown diamonds.

So, to answer your questions as to whether or not a faint yellow color would cancel out the blue, that is a no, because the diamond will only have one or the other.

I absolutely see the blue in your diamond, but I am very color sensitive. Again though, I like the blue hue. It is pleasing to my eyes. Only you can judge, once you see it in person, if you like your new diamond or not. If the tint doesn't register to you, great! That means you just have to decide if you like the sparkle of the stone and style of the ring.

boobear1986

Rough_Rock
What Jax172 said is correct - the amount of hue (saturation), not the color of it, is what determines the color grade. The hue color (yellow, brown, blue, pink, etc.) will vary. In earth grown diamonds, yellow is the most common color found. For lab diamonds, blue hue is found in HPHT grown diamonds, and yellow/brown is commonly found in CVD grown diamonds.

So, to answer your questions as to whether or not a faint yellow color would cancel out the blue, that is a no, because the diamond will only have one or the other.

I absolutely see the blue in your diamond, but I am very color sensitive. Again though, I like the blue hue. It is pleasing to my eyes. Only you can judge, once you see it in person, if you like your new diamond or not. If the tint doesn't register to you, great! That means you just have to decide if you like the sparkle of the stone and style of the ring.

Thank you, that explanation really helped me. I'll update with real pictures when it comes :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results