shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Shower Help Please....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Hello I am hoping to get some ideas/input for hosting a baby shower. My friend is having a baby and I offered to give her a baby shower...problem is that I have no idea what to do. I have never been to one so I am asking for your help please.

It is on Saturday April 25th at the club house in her condo so the location is picked already.
Food has been taken care of too.
Evites have been sent out and we are expecting about 50guests.
Decorations are taken care of already too.

I am thinking of doing about 5 games....looking for something fun was thinking of
1) Measure around the mommy
2) See who knows the most things about the mommy
3) Any ideas are welcome
4) Any ideas are welcome
5) Any ideas are welcome

For prizes am going to get gift cards to itunes, blockbuster, etc.

What else do I need to take care of''? Is there anything special that I need to do for the mommy that day? Please help I want to make sure I don''t miss anything.

Thanks in advance

Any ideas of favors?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Guess What Kind of Poo? Melt different sorts of chocolate bars into diapers and have people guess what types of candy bars you used. Definitely not for everyone, but a funny game with the right crowd.

Name Game. Have people come up with as many first name suggestions using the first and last names of the parents. For example, if the parents names are Darren and Lisa Smith someone would write Mara, Sam, Lidea, Nel, etc.

Scrapbook Page. This can be sort of complicated (needs more prep than most games) but can be really neat. Bring scrapbook supplies and have each guest create a baby page, which can then be put into a book and presented to the new mom. I did this for my sister at her shower and she loved it.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Something that my best friend did at my shower which was AMAZING was she passed out a blank envelope to everyone and had them address it. Then she gave me these envelopes along with some adorable thank you cards she had picked out for me so that all the addresses were prewritten for me! Made it much easier to send out my notes.

Also make sure that you or someone else is taking detailed notes of who brought what for presents so the mom can be sure to thank people for the right gifts.

And honestly I am not a big fan of many games at showers (like measuring around mom-embarrassing for someone already concerned about a growing figure! And the poop ones are pretty gross IMO). So make sure the mom to be wants those types of games before you worry about organizing a ton of them.

One fun game that isn't embarrassing is baby present bingo. Have blank bingo cards and pens. Everyone fills out their own bingo cards with typical baby shower gifts. Then as mom is opening presents you get to mark your card when she receives that item. Makes opening gifts more entertaining for everyone IMO.

lili

Ideal_Rock
I was at a baby shower recently and among the games they played were:

1. guessing the width of the belly
2. word scramble (baby essentials like playpen,cradle, pacifier,etc)
3. drawing picture of baby on the back of a paper plate on your head w/o looking
4. celebrity baby name matchup

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 9:23:39 PM
Author: neatfreak

And honestly I am not a big fan of many games at showers (like measuring around mom-embarrassing for someone already concerned about a growing figure! And the poop ones are pretty gross IMO). So make sure the mom to be wants those types of games before you worry about organizing a ton of them.
I have to ditto this. I know its a popular shower game but if that was done to me at my shower I would be beyond mortified.

I''m not a fan of a lot of games either. I went to a friends shower that had about 6 games and by the 4th one I was over it and so were a lot of guests.

Another idea though is to scramble a bunch of standard baby words and the first one to finish and guess all correctly gets a prize. Pretty simple game.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all those are some really neat game ideas. Thanks :)

Am I missing anything else that should be done at the shower? ANything I should make sure I do for the mom that day?

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
We only played one game at the shower my side of the family threw for me and it was actually kind of cool. It was a bingo game that was played while I opened gifts. Everyone was given a bingo card with baby items on it. If their card had what I opened they marked it off. Five in a row won a prize. My mom got it from some website. We didn''t play any games at the shower DH''s side had for me - at my request. Both showers were a lot of fun and involved lots of food and laughs.

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
I have been to tons of baby showers, and we have never played games! I think one or two games at the most would be appropriate. After that, it would get annoying. I think the "Baby Gift Bingo" sounds like fun. Keep in mind the logistics of any game you play, with 50 guests, it could get a little complicated and drawn out.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
The best showers I''ve been to had zero games involved. They did have delicious food, great conversation, and a beaming mom-to-be.

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for the input....I would go with no games too, but the mom stated she wanted to do some. I am thinking that baby bingo would work and that would keep people involved while she opens gifts. We can play that and x out all the other game ideas. Any idea where I can find info on how to play that game?

Any inexpensive cute favor ideas?

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
babyshower101.com is a pretty helpful site. They have just about every game listed, planning & favor ideas etc..
9.gif

lisamarie84

Shiny_Rock
I recently hosted a shower for one of my friends and I was in the same exact boat. I had only been to 1 shower prior to that where there were no games at all. I think I stressed myself out more than I needed to, but in the end everything worked out just fine and my friend really enjoyed the shower. Just remember mom-to-be will just be so thankful and happy that her friends/family are there to share in her(and little one''s) special day.
1.gif

As for games, one game we played that everyone seemed to like was "What''s in the bag?" I labeled 10 paper bags (1-10) and handed each player a card numbered 1-10. Each bag had a baby item of some sort and the players were allowed to touch/squeeze/shake/smell each bag and then had to list what they thought was inside. After all 10 bags are passed around, have mommy open each bag to reveal what''s inside(she can take home all the goodies). I placed one of those baby finger toothbrushes in a bag and the things the guests came up with were...quite interesting lol.

I also intended for the guests to play "Don''t say baby" and "Measure the belly" but everyone forgot to take away eachother''s pacifier necklaces for the first game and we never got to the belly game, which I was not sure about anyway (just in case someone was way off in guessing the belly size..didn''t want anyone to accidentally offend the guest of honor).

For favors, I did a sugar cookie mix (similar to these) I found tin-tie bags, a cookie recipe, made labels and put them together myself. I also included cute little whisks and cookie cutters. They came out really nice and I saved quite a bit by doing it on my own.

Hope that helps a little bit! I''m sure the shower will be fabulous!
1.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Making your own bath salts is a fun idea.

lisamarie84

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 11:11:17 PM
Author: pichuchy21
Thanks all for the input....I would go with no games too, but the mom stated she wanted to do some. I am thinking that baby bingo would work and that would keep people involved while she opens gifts. We can play that and x out all the other game ideas. Any idea where I can find info on how to play that game?

We played gift bingo too.

Here''s some instructions:

1. All guests are given a bingo board and enough small pieces of paper, pennies, small stickers(so you can read the words if there is question.), or any other game piece to cover up the squares.

2. Guests are asked to write in each square what they think the new mom will get. They are to write their gift or a part of their gift in just one square, preferably the middle square. They can not use more then one square for their own.

3. They can guess as specific or general as they chose. Baby clothes, baby gowns, pacifiers, bottles, baby Swing, crib, baby wash-towels. etc.

4. As mom opens her gifts and shows everyone each thing she received, guests cover up their guesses.

5. The first guest with BINGO, wins.

I''m very DIY, so I printed my own bingo cards and provided players with a list of general baby items on the back of the card (in case they got stuck and couldn''t think of anything to fill their spaces with).

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
i am totally in love with hwtm.com and their blog for any and all types of entertaining ideas. they have lots of cool DIY ideas for favors, centerpieces, games, recipes, and so on, and their ideas are almost always budget-friendly, too. hope their site gets your creative juices flowing!

pichuchy21

Shiny_Rock
Vegasangel, Lisamarie, pennquaker09, doodle....thanks for your reply and thanks for that website it has really cute ideas. Thanks for the directions to baby bingo that is def. a game we will play and it will keep people entertained while we open gifts.

Thanks to all for your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results