shape
carat
color
clarity

BABY EARRINGS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Heishman

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

My little girl (8 months) had her ears pierced yesterday. She looks so adorable.
I want to buy her some diamond studs around .25ctw any suggestions on were I should look?
I tried james allen, whiteflash, and good old gold, but I did not find anything.
Any help is appreciated.

Lucy

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: Gypsy
These ones from Tiffany are just wonderful IMO... you can get .10 total carat, .16 total carat or .29 total carat.
How darling!

What do you think is a good size for ''starter studs''? (Thinking ahead to when my DIL finally allows my granddaughter to pierce her ears. She''ll probably be 10 to 12.)

Nothing like starting out with a Blue Box!! LOL

widget

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did my daughter''s ears at 4mos and IMO .25 tw is WAY too big for a baby. What you need to do, seriously, is just go find some baby earrings.... they''ll be cheap, small, and the posts will be SHORT. I would NOT spend the time or money for little idealcut diamonds for an infant. They need to stand as flush to the ear as possible and not be irritating or guess who''s gonna be pulling on them? Go for tiny tiny chips.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have kids, just nieces.

I think it depends on the child. When I was that age my grandmother bought me a Cartier puzzle ring. Loved that ring. Lost that ring. Never should have had the ring at that age, IMO.

Oh the other hand, another person I grew up with still has EVERY LITTLE TINY BIT OF BLING she's EVER been given. In mint condition.

My nieces are all different. I've given them jewelry most of them managed to keep it, but one of them lost the ring I gave her.

If the child is responsible... I'd go with either the .16 or .29 ... depending on her school, and what the other girls have and what you feel comfortable spending.

I agree about the Blue Box to set things off right. I still remember the awe I felt looking at that cartier box.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 2:06:00 PM
Author: widget

These ones from Tiffany are just wonderful IMO... you can get .10 total carat, .16 total carat or .29 total carat.
How darling!

What do you think is a good size for ''starter studs''? (Thinking ahead to when my DIL finally allows my granddaughter to pierce her ears. She''ll probably be 10 to 12.)

Nothing like starting out with a Blue Box!! LOL

widget
my daughter is now 12 and .25 ctw would be perfect for her now. She''s worn my 1/2ctw earrings and they''re too big for a little girl. The .10 ctw or even .05ctw would be totally fine. I would spend the $$ for hypoalergenic meal (gold or surgical steel) and gen-u-ine diamond chips can come cheap but you don''t want to spend a lot when the chance of loss is great.... also.... really I cannot stress enough to make sure you get baby-short posts! Adult posts no matter the carat weight will be way too deep on an infant''s ears!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 2:12:26 PM
I don''t have kids, just nieces.

I think it depends on the child. When I was that age my grandmother bought me a Cartier puzzle ring. Loved that ring. Lost that ring. Never should have had the ring at that age, IMO.

Oh the other hand, another person I grew up with still has EVERY LITTLE TINY BIT OF BLING she''s EVER been given. In mint condition.

My nieces are all different. I''ve given them jewelry most of them managed to keep it, but one of them lost the ring I gave her.

If the child is responsible... I''d go with either the .29 or the .6... depending on her school, and what the other girls have and what you feel comfortable spending.

I agree about the Blue Box to set things off right. I still remember the awe I felt looking at that cartier box.
it''s not all a money thing - sure it sucks to throw money away, but its a SIZE thing. They just don''t look right.

Heishman

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the info.
The starter studs that she has in now seem to have long posts. Is this normal?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I wasn''t talking about ... spend as much you can afford. Sometimes it''s just not appropriate to spend a certain amount of $$ at a certain age for certain things. My ten year old cousin wants a LV purse... her parents are NOT getting it for it, because its not in their opinion age appropriate to spend $X, 000 on a 10 year old''s purse. What I meant was... its not just the size that has to be age appropriate, IMO, the cost should be too. And that of course is an individual value assesment.

I personally had no understanding of the real value of that cartier ring... and would have been happy with another, non designer ring or something less expensive from Cartier, or Tiffany, if the name is important (which it was to my grandmother). But my grandmother wanted me to have that Cartier ring... and I lost it, mostly because I didn''t appreciate it. It came too easy.

That''s why my cousin''s parent''s aren''t getting the purse for her. She just has no concept of what the expense is, and they want to teach her to value things... really value and appreciate them. It''s not a matter of whether or not they can afford it. It''s not appropriate for her.

I was very spoiled when I was young. VERY SPOILED. I had my own petting zoo. I kid you not. It was a really REALLY tough thing for me to get my feet placed on the ground, and it came at a high price. I was just saying that... you have to be careful when it come to expensive gifts to kids.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 2:29:11 PM
Author: Lucyh
Thanks for all the info.
The starter studs that she has in now seem to have long posts. Is this normal?
the starter ones are a bit longer and have very pointy ends.... but there is also swelling associated with the first few months while they heal.... once she can change them they typically file down the point but the earrings still tend to be long which can result in them being loose, snagging on things, poking her neck, making her grab at them because they irritate her etc.

Anyway, it''s not an easy search (you can find them all over but not an easy internetsearch lol) but here''s some.... the only thing is these are screwbacks and while the screwbacks will protect the earring from being lost, frankly I''d rather have earrings that pulled out of the ear easily than that could possibly rip the earlobe.

http://www.loveivy.com/scpt/main/item_page.php?code=cermar-GEW293

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 2:33:01 PM
No, I wasn''t talking about ... spend as much you can afford. Sometimes it''s just not appropriate to spend a certain amount of $$ at a certain age for certain things. My ten year old cousin wants a LV purse... her parents are NOT getting it for it, because its not in their opinion age appropriate to spend $X, 000 on a 10 year old''s purse. What I meant was... its not just the size that has to be age appropriate, IMO, the cost should be too. And that of course is an individual value assesment.

I personally had no understanding of the real value of that cartier ring... and would have been happy with another, non designer ring or something less expensive from Cartier, or Tiffany, if the name is important (which it was to my grandmother). But my grandmother wanted me to have that Cartier ring... and I lost it, mostly because I didn''t appreciate it. It came too easy.

That''s why my cousin''s parent''s aren''t getting the purse for her. She just has no concept of what the expense is, and they want to teach her to value things... really value and appreciate them. It''s not a matter of whether or not they can afford it. It''s not appropriate for her.

I was very spoiled when I was young. VERY SPOILED. I had my own petting zoo. I kid you not. It was a really REALLY tough thing for me to get my feet placed on the ground, and it came at a high price. I was just saying that... you have to be careful when it come to expensive gifts to kids.
that''s true LOL Kids don''t appreciate expensive things like they should sometimes - but an infant isn''t going to appreciate it at all LOL Even still, their ears are so small, and they fall a lot and tug at things, just best to go with something low profile.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
my girls are 4 and 3 and both have their ears piered. we just bought my 4 year old a pair of children''s studs at a local jeweler. they were around $40. Both of my girls kept losing earrings randomly, the backs would fall off or whatever so I won''t be buying diamonds until they are a lot older. my daughter has studs in several colors and they are maybe 10 points each, they measure 3mm set and that is plenty big on her for her age. I did buy a tiny pair to start and they almost pushed through my daughters hole so think 3mm is a perfect size.

Heishman

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Cehrabehra.

I am so glad that i have this sight to turn to for all my jewelry needs.
I would not have even thought about the posts being to long.
Thanks for all your help!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 2:44:43 PM
Author: mrssalvo
my girls are 4 and 3 and both have their ears piered. we just bought my 4 year old a pair of children''s studs at a local jeweler. they were around $40. Both of my girls kept losing earrings randomly, the backs would fall off or whatever so I won''t be buying diamonds until they are a lot older. my daughter has studs in several colors and they are maybe 10 points each, they measure 3mm set and that is plenty big on her for her age. I did buy a tiny pair to start and they almost pushed through my daughters hole so think 3mm is a perfect size.
my mil got my dd some diamond studs (tiny ones) and of course she lost one.... my inlaws are mexican and I pretty much used that as an excuse to pierce my daughter''s ears even though my dh wasn''t into it haha... I was thinking, if you do a search in spanish for diamond baby earrings you might have better luck LOL

I think .20tw for a 4 year old is probably fine.... I could just see a blinged out baby with caratsin each ear.... you know somewhere someone has done this LOL

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
www.thediamond.com has the Elsa Peretti style bezels.

On the other hand, I'm thinking of piercing my nose. 5 pter or 10 pter?
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 4:33:48 PM
Author: JulieN

On the other hand, I''m thinking of piercing my nose. 5 pter or 10 pter?
9.gif
I''d go with 5 LOL I like nose rings when they''re tiny - and that isn''t because it''s the closest to nothing, I just like it when they''re a tiny accent rather than it looking like a growth LOL I have a neighbor with a huge butterfly and I always think there''s something that needs to be picked off LOL

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 4:33:48 PM
Author: JulieN

On the other hand, I''m thinking of piercing my nose. 5 pter or 10 pter?
9.gif
5...10 will look like a stray booger.
28.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I''ve kept this in the back of my mind. My 4 year old daughter just had her ears pierced and I thought diamonds 10 pts. per ear would be so cute. BUT, she adores the flower crystal ones I got her. More bling is better in her book. I don''t think she''ll be happy with 20 pts. (she''s like her mother) so I''ll wait to get her some until she can understand what diamonds really are. With an infant you won''t have that problem. I think it would be adoreable! Good luck finding some kid sized studs and keep us posted.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 1:43:57 PM
Author:Lucyh
Hello,

My little girl (8 months) had her ears pierced yesterday. She looks so adorable.
I want to buy her some diamond studs around .25ctw any suggestions on were I should look?
I tried james allen, whiteflash, and good old gold, but I did not find anything.
Any help is appreciated.

Lucy
Actually, you can get them at WF, but you have to ask for them. they aren't listed as "stock" pieces on their website.

Here is a picture of the .16 earrings I wear in my second holes that I bought through WF in December....

I personally think these would be a bit big for little ears.....but you can get them smaller than this, I believe. I am fairly certain they have 8- and 10-pointer options.

1655ontheear11.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 7:08:38 PM
Author: Miranda
BUT, she adores the flower crystal ones I got her.

Miranda, both my girls picked the flower crystal ones too. i''ll admit they are very, very cute, especially for starter earrings..

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 8:26:01 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 2/28/2007 7:08:38 PM
Author: Miranda
BUT, she adores the flower crystal ones I got her.

Miranda, both my girls picked the flower crystal ones too. i''ll admit they are very, very cute, especially for starter earrings..
They are totally cute. She doesn''t even want to put in her starter studs because as she puts it, "There''s only one sparkle. I wanna wear the ones with 7 sparkles." How can I argue with that. I do think she''d be happy with my studs (1.25 ctw), though. She''s always asking to wear them. Uhhhhhh, NO!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter is 2 years old, and got her ears pierced for her first birthday. She was fine for the first year, but now that she is 2 she takes the earrings out and loses them. I only get her locking backs or the screw on ones, and she manages to take them out. I am finally having some luck with a small pair of hoops since she has no idea how to take them off...yet. As cute as it would be, I will not be spending money on diamond earrings for her for a long time. The Tiffany earrings are pretty, but I don''t even have a $650 pair of earrings and I am 34!

Heishman

Shiny_Rock
Thanks aljdewey, i will contact whiteflash today.

I am also looking at TheDiamond.

I will let you know what my husband and I decide.

Oh, also, I am going to jewelers row in the city tommorw. I will also ask to see if they have any available. Can''t wait till tommorw because i can try on the Danhov ring I have been looking at
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, sorry but isn''t it there a risk that the earring may come off and become a choking hazard for a little baby? I was thinking that it will be safer to wait till they are a little older when they stop putting everything in their mouths before they should put on earrings?

Heishman

Shiny_Rock
If a piercing is done correctly the baby should not feel the earrings in her ears. if she can''t feel them then I don''t believe she will play with them. My daughters have been pierced since Tuesday and she has not touched them even once. After the 6 weeks I plan on switching the earrings to screwback studs. I would think this should eliminate any possibility of choking.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2007 2:34:29 PM
Author: Lucyh
If a piercing is done correctly the baby should not feel the earrings in her ears. if she can''t feel them then I don''t believe she will play with them. My daughters have been pierced since Tuesday and she has not touched them even once. After the 6 weeks I plan on switching the earrings to screwback studs. I would think this should eliminate any possibility of choking.
I am not arguing with you, just telling my experience...
My daughter did not touch her earrings for the first year she had them...now that she is 2, she takes them out every chance she gets. And of course (her being a toddler) she does not bring them to me, she tosses them on the floor, never to be seen again.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I think losing the earrings is a small matter. What''s more serious is the potential risk of choking and the potential infection that a little baby could get from piercing her ears whilst their defence against infection is still low (at the end of the day, it is an open wound when it is newly pierced) .

I think even if the baby don''t touch the earrings now does not mean she may not pull at their ears at some stage (a lot of babies/toddlers do that when they are soothing themselves to sleep or when they have an ear infection) and the earrings may come off -- and a lot of babies/toddlers do put small items in their mouths especially when they have just learnt to use the pincer grasp.

I might sound paranoid to you, but I would not want to take any chances on a baby no matter how small. Since the earrings are already there, if you decide to keep them there, I guess then all you can do is be very vigilant and check everyday that it is secure and still on her ears.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to hear about what you find!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results