shape
carat
color
clarity

"Babies": The movie

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
If there is a thread on this topic already, please feel free to link it.

Have you seen the movie?
Are you going to see it?
What did you think about it?
How did it make you feel?

My daughter took me to see it on Mother''s Day. I thought it was fascinating. I thought the concept was genius. I''ve been reading a lot about the babies that were chosen, the circumstances of their families and other thoughts of the director after observing the babies growth. So very interesting that he found the baby in Namibia to have been the most content.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t seen it yet but I really want to. My parents saw it today and they really liked it. My mom said it''s short though -- about 1.5 hours or less.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
It is short. I wish it would have been longer, but I think it was smart to have it be shorter. I am sure that it was edited to that length due to the nature of the film. It has no narration and no subtitles. That''s really the point though. It is intended to be an exercise in observation. My daughter was rolling her eyes at a man who was walking out with his wife complaining that he just didn''t understand the concept and wondered what was the movie''s point. My daughter wanted to turn to him and say, "Dude, who cares if you don''t get it, she wanted to see it on Mother''s Day so just shut up"

I can''t wait for you to see it, so I can discuss it with someone other than my daughter.

I was more surprised at the diversity and demographics of the audience. The movie was sold out in midday, there were young and old, male and female. Applause erupted in the theater when it was over. That''s rare.
36.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I''m actually surprised they didn''t do more promotion for this...I heard something about it in passing, but only saw the trailer on tv for the first time the other day, and I watch a LOT of tv.

I would like to see it, but with my 9 month old and no family near by and no babysitter, it''s not going to happen till it comes out on video.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL sabine i am thinking of going to the first showing on a weekday just so i can take J with me. i figure if he can''t go to a movie about babies something is wrong!
3.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I just convinced DH to see it with me, so we''re oging to try to go this week/....

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
There were quite a few infants in the audience. One couple left the stroller at the bottom and sat near the top. I don''t know how she kept her child quiet, but I''m guessing it was the BF''ing. There is a lot of boobage with the Namibia Moms. There were some other kids in the audience that were 6 or 8 years old. I think some of the toddlers just liked watching other babies on the screen. It was like a Baby Einstein effect or something. In any case, it was most interesting.

I can''t wait so we can talk about it.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
That clip was so wonderful! I''ve not even heard of this film here but I wanted to say that the baby from mongolia - I see a lot of children around here raised like that from what little I could see. Where I live the classes intermingle so much and from what I could tell about the film in that small clip you have people here like the family in japan and in mongolia living around here.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
My FI just told me about it this weekend. I want to go see it!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
miraclesrule!!!! Ohhhhhh, how are you? YAY! Now I have to go see this movie!!! Thanks for the recommendation!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
DH and I saw it about a week ago, and I think he liked it more than I did! He keeps talking about it. I thought it jumped around a little too much, but overall it was very well done. I thought it was fascinating how different the births were, as well as other aspects of each culture. At some points, DH was definitely wincing at the antics of the naked little boys -- yee-ouch in delicate areas!! Some parts seemed a little too stereotypical (did the American mom even try to breastfeed? I only remember seeing bottles) but of course they couldn''t show the wide range of practices in each place with only one baby/family.

I can''t say that the film was completely satisfying for me, but maybe it was just different than what I was expecting. I''m still glad I saw it though!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
BLISS!!!! How are you??? I miss you. I need to catch up on your life, woman!

Octavia,
I was totally cringing when the boy was getting off and on the upside down tin bin or whatever that was. Insane.

I read the story of the American mother''s birth. She actually had Hattie at home, but there were some questions and they went to the hospital where she was hooked up on machines and admitted for days. Apparently she was fine and they believe that the hospitalization was not necessary, but I found that I was obsessed in finding out more details about the families and the kids than we were able to discover in the movie.

The Mongolian baby and the cat was probably the most amazing thing to me. If me or my kid ever pulled and tugged on a cat like that, our cat would have drawn blood. And did.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
We are going for sure this weekend! Can''t wait!!!

and I think we''re going out for Korean too, YUMMY Bi Bim Bap and cucumber kimchi!!!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results