shape
carat
color
clarity

B2C GIA certified diamond tested as moissanite. Pls advise!

tracylt

Shiny_Rock
I ordered a GIA certified (1 ct. J SI2) diamond from B2C Jewels about 3 weeks ago. GIA report # 2175656287.

Under INSCRIPTION(S), it reads "GIA 2175656287, SPECTRA 81, 173040114".
Shape and cutting style........ Round Modified Brilliant.
The rep at B2C told me it had 81 facets, which means it sparkles a lot (??).

I brought the stone with another AGS000 diamond to my jeweler to have them set in earrings. He texted me last Friday and said it was tested as Moissanite! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: , but the other AGS certified stone was still tested as diamond. I didn't want to believe him so I actually went to the store yesterday and he did it in front of me. He was testing it for at least 3 times, and all those time the tester shows it was moissanite. NONE of those time it came back as diamond. See pic below.

img_8772_0.jpg

On the other hand, when he tried it on the AGS stone, it came back as diamond all of the times. So I would think the tester is pretty consistent.

HOWEVER, I brought it to another jeweler who didn't use the diamond tester at all, he then brought both 2 stones inside his office, was louping them and doing whatever he was doing (I could see him through the window, but not sure exactly what he was doing with the stones). He came back out and said they were both diamonds. Now I'm confused. I still have until July 15th to send the stone back, but I'm so torn and don't know who to believe. So please give me some advise.

tracylt

Shiny_Rock
Re: B2C GIA certified diamond tested as moissanite. Pls advi

Below are pictures of comparing the two stones.

The one on top is from B2C and tested as Moissanite. The bottom one is a AGS cert. J SI2 diamond.
ags_vs_gia_1.jpg

The one on the left is from B2C and tested as Moissanite. The right one is AGS cert.
fullsizerender_154.jpg

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I would not freak out right away. It is actually quite common that diamond testers malfunction. I have had stones come back as Moiss when they were diamonds. Yes I am sure that they were diamonds. Depends on the tester but any tester is, well, just an instrument.

Second possibility is that someone somehow switched your diamond, not very likely though.

What I would do is send in the stone in question or if you want both as a set for appraisal to a recommended appraiser and even mention your concerns. This would give you peace of mind.

I am almost positive that the tester was wrong since you bought your stone from a reputable vendor and it had a report. Have you or any of the jewelers used a gauge to actually measure the exact size of the stone whether it matches the report as well as check the inclusions against the report? Measurements are easier to verify in case of fancy shapes because discrepancies would be more obvious but still a good idea to do in case of round diamonds.

What I cannot understand is if jeweler one did not to the above checks on your stone in question. I just hope he did not swap stones on you. Again not to worry yet but since your stone is set now, measurements will possibly be more difficult and in any case an appraisal is your best option. Perhaps there is a recommended one in your area.

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade

You say the stone is inscribed with the GIA certificate number. That's easy to verify by having the jeweler find the inscription on the girdle of the stone.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

These testers are not especially reliable, and they're not especially easy to use properly. Moissanite, in particular, is easy to spot using other methods (like with a loupe).

The 81 facet thing is a completely different topic although it probably makes the stone pretty distinctive, as will the girdle inscription. Stone switching seems unlikely given these two items along with the weight, various measurements and other data on the GIA document. Matching it to the lab report shouldn't be all that difficult.

You weren't clear about exactly what happened in this appraisal session. Did your jeweler/appraiser say it's Moissanite or just say that's what the tool said? Those aren't the same thing. Did he sign a statement that says this? If not, ask him to. If he refuses, why not? Did you pay him/her? If he does, call B2C and talk to them about it. If he won't step up to the plate and put his name and reputation on it, find an appraiser who will. Do it before your return policy expires.

tracylt

Shiny_Rock

Sunstorm|1467915961|4052673 said:
I would not freak out right away. It is actually quite common that diamond testers malfunction. I have had stones come back as Moiss when they were diamonds. Yes I am sure that they were diamonds. Depends on the tester but any tester is, well, just an instrument.

Second possibility is that someone somehow switched your diamond, not very likely though.

What I would do is send in the stone in question or if you want both as a set for appraisal to a recommended appraiser and even mention your concerns. This would give you peace of mind.

I am almost positive that the tester was wrong since you bought your stone from a reputable vendor and it had a report. Have you or any of the jewelers used a gauge to actually measure the exact size of the stone whether it matches the report as well as check the inclusions against the report? Measurements are easier to verify in case of fancy shapes because discrepancies would be more obvious but still a good idea to do in case of round diamonds.

What I cannot understand is if jeweler one did not to the above checks on your stone in question. I just hope he did not swap stones on you. Again not to worry yet but since your stone is set now, measurements will possibly be more difficult and in any case an appraisal is your best option. Perhaps there is a recommended one in your area.

Thank you Sunstorm for your advice.
I don't think the jeweler switch the stone, my family has been dealing with them for over 30 years now, my uncle used to work for them but he retired, so we're "kinda" family. BUT, I DO think they don't know much about diamonds although they do sell diamonds. They kept telling me "Don't buy GIA certified diamonds, they're overpriced." or "Why do you need an GIA cert for such a small stone". They're just uneducated amateur retailers who sell watches and jewelry (some of them happens to be diamonds jewelry). Honestly, I don't think other than using the tester to tell it, any of them could be able to tell a moissanite from a diamond with their eyes/loups/or whatever.

That's why I took the stones to the other store, who told me they were both diamonds, just to get a second opinion. Appraisal in my area takes about 1 week at least, which I can't afford to wait because I need to return it ASAP if it's not diamond. The stones are not set yet because as soon as they told me that, I told them don't set them in so I could return it.

tracylt

Shiny_Rock

bcavitt|1467917047|4052683 said:
You say the stone is inscribed with the GIA certificate number. That's easy to verify by having the jeweler find the inscription on the girdle of the stone.
Thanks, bcavitt. The first jeweler who told me it was moissanite said he couldn't find any laser inscription on the stone. Again, I don't think he's very educated and knowledgeable in dealing with diamonds.

The second jeweler, however, when I told him about the first jeweler's opinion and was trying to show him the GIA certificate, he cut me off and said "I don't need the certificate" and went in his office and examined both stones with his loupe (without any kinds of diamond/moissanite tester), then came out and said "they are both diamond, just slightly different types of cut).

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Where are you?

B2C is a pretty well regarded outfit and I'm confident they will be highly annoyed by this story. They will be just as eager as you to get to the bottom of it. Given that, they may be willing to extend the return period because of special circumstances. Ask if you're interested.

Not to sound self-serving but there are plenty of fine appraisers who accept work by FedEx.

tracylt

Shiny_Rock

denverappraiser|1467918506|4052695 said:
These testers are not especially reliable, and they're not especially easy to use properly. Moissanite, in particular, is easy to spot using other methods (like with a loupe).

The 81 facet thing is a completely different topic although it probably makes the stone pretty distinctive, as will the girdle inscription. Stone switching seems unlikely given these two items along with the weight, various measurements and other data on the GIA document. Matching it to the lab report shouldn't be all that difficult.

You weren't clear about exactly what happened in this appraisal session. Did your jeweler/appraiser say it's Moissanite or just say that's what the tool said? Those aren't the same thing. Did he sign a statement that says this? If not, ask him to. If he refuses, why not? Did you pay him/her? If he does, call B2C and talk to them about it. If he won't step up to the plate and put his name and reputation on it, find an appraiser who will. Do it before your return policy expires.

Thank you very much, Denverappraiser! My jeweler, who I believed is not at all knowledgeable about diamonds (and moissanites) just told me that's what the tool said. Apparently, that's the only way he does the check for all diamonds that he sells at his stores. He's an amateur at best... I will try to find another reputable appraiser after getting off work today and ask them to speed up the process if possible. My regular appraiser always takes a week, which is not option for me right now. I looked up Recommended appraiser on PS for my area and there is only one who is apparently no longer in business. :(sad. I live in Louisiana btw.

tracylt

Shiny_Rock

denverappraiser|1467919154|4052703 said:
Where are you?

B2C is a pretty well regarded outfit and I'm confident they will be highly annoyed by this story. They will be just as eager as you to get to the bottom of it. Given that, they may be willing to extend the return period because of special circumstances. Ask if you're interested.

Not to sound self-serving but there are plenty of fine appraisers who accept work by FedEx.

I know B2C is a well-known dealer. I've actually bought a few diamonds from them previous to this, but I never had any jeweler checked them because I found them through this forum and people have given them very high credits, so I just decided to trust them. That's why I tend to lean toward the second jeweler's opinion, which means it is indeed a diamond. However, I still want a peace of mind as these are supposed to be gifts for my nanny, and I would hate for her to find out one day what I gifted her was a moissanite! Especially when I had to pay for the price of a diamond!

tracylt

Shiny_Rock

denverappraiser|1467920420|4052715 said:
Here's a highly capable fellow in Metairie, if that's nearby.

http://www.neworleansjewelryappraisers.com/

They're "only" 81 miles from my house ;( , but I'll make an appointment with them if I can't find another appraiser closer who is trustworthy and fast. Thank you so much for your help!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Tell him I sent you. That won't actually get you anything, but it'll get me a free cup of coffee at the next AGS convention if he remembers.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I agree Tracylt, I did not want to say that the jeweler perhaps lacked the expertise, i.e, comment negatively but that was what I thought and perhaps by telling you that GIA is overpriced, they want you to buy from them. Unfortunately jewelers can comment negatively on others thinking this way they will gain the business next time. They probably also buy stones that come from less reputable labs then and are overgraded. If they did this to get your business, that would not be ethical at all though. Can you also go back to them and question them how they arrived to their conclusion?

I skipped the part about the 81 facets sorry, yes that is a great way to check, for a jeweler at least. Like I mentioned too there are many ways to match the diamond to the certificate. My thinking was that the inscription is not something you would likely see and by now it may be covered by the setting. I am not sure whether you want to remove the stone from the setting.

Going back directly to the source is a great suggestion, it is even better than using an independent appraiser. Like I said before I am quite positive that there is nothing wrong with your stone, the tester is often wrong.

Switching is something I did not find likely, however, it can happen in rare cases that not the jeweler but someone else switches the stone thinking the owner will recognize it too late. In this case given the nature of the stone it is not likely to be the case but I had a case of someone I knew where it was a family member (husband during a divorce). Generally the diamond is replaced by CZ though and not Moiss. I would not worry about this possibility.

I will be very happy for you once this is resolved and I am sure that it will, hope you can see the seller of your stone soon. Do not panic. About one third of my own antique diamonds tested Moiss.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Hello tracylt,

Thank you for posting about this! Please have no fear, B2C we will make certain you have received exactly what you ordered. GIA is the most widely used lab in the world, and we are confident that any diamond they grade is, indeed, the genuine article. I have made our team aware of your issue and we will gladly extend your return period to accommodate you. You will be contacted shortly by our team to make certain all is well. Thank you!

tracylt

Shiny_Rock

denverappraiser|1467921252|4052725 said:
Tell him I sent you. That won't actually get you anything, but it'll get me a free cup of coffee at the next AGS convention if he remembers.
Haha you're too kind and funny! I will certainly do that!

tracylt

Shiny_Rock

Sunstorm|1467925868|4052753 said:
I agree Tracylt, I did not want to say that the jeweler perhaps lacked the expertise, i.e, comment negatively but that was what I thought and perhaps by telling you that GIA is overpriced, they want you to buy from them. Unfortunately jewelers can comment negatively on others thinking this way they will gain the business next time. They probably also buy stones that come from less reputable labs then and are overgraded. If they did this to get your business, that would not be ethical at all though. Can you also go back to them and question them how they arrived to their conclusion?

I skipped the part about the 81 facets sorry, yes that is a great way to check, for a jeweler at least. Like I mentioned too there are many ways to match the diamond to the certificate. My thinking was that the inscription is not something you would likely see and by now it may be covered by the setting. I am not sure whether you want to remove the stone from the setting.

Going back directly to the source is a great suggestion, it is even better than using an independent appraiser. Like I said before I am quite positive that there is nothing wrong with your stone, the tester is often wrong.

Switching is something I did not find likely, however, it can happen in rare cases that not the jeweler but someone else switches the stone thinking the owner will recognize it too late. In this case given the nature of the stone it is not likely to be the case but I had a case of someone I knew where it was a family member (husband during a divorce). Generally the diamond is replaced by CZ though and not Moiss. I would not worry about this possibility.

I will be very happy for you once this is resolved and I am sure that it will, hope you can see the seller of your stone soon. Do not panic. About one third of my own antique diamonds tested Moiss.

I really appreciate your advice Sunstorm. The stone was never set in the setting because of the issue. I asked him to check the laser inscription for me but he said he couldn't find ANY inscription... I've dropped it off at a bigger jewelry store in town yesterday and they said they would check and call me back today. Fingers crossed!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you sure you really like the look of the one with 81 facets? In that top picture, it clearly looks like the bottom stone has better light return.

tracylt

Shiny_Rock

Diamond_Hawk|1467941578|4052830 said:
Hello tracylt,

Thank you for posting about this! Please have no fear, B2C we will make certain you have received exactly what you ordered. GIA is the most widely used lab in the world, and we are confident that any diamond they grade is, indeed, the genuine article. I have made our team aware of your issue and we will gladly extend your return period to accommodate you. You will be contacted shortly by our team to make certain all is well. Thank you!

Hi Diamond_Hawk. Thank you so much for extending my return period. Again, there are two different opinions about the stone - one tested it as a moissanite, one examined and said it was a diamond, so I'm searching for the 3rd opinion right now. I've asked the biggest fine jewelry shop in town to check it and verify the inscription for me. I will definitely keep you posted.

tracylt

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1467986817|4053032 said:
Are you sure you really like the look of the one with 81 facets? In that top picture, it clearly looks like the bottom stone has better light return.
Hi & thank you diamond seeker. I actually do like the 81 facets! I like the fact that it's little "special" in a way, and also feel like it has a little more spreading than the other one. It also looks a little "whiter" than the other, although they're both graded J color.

tracylt

Shiny_Rock

I just got a call from the jeweler. They confirmed that it is indeed a diamond and they found the inscription # that matched the GIA certificate!!! Woo hoo!!! I'm so relieved. Now I can have them set in earrings and gift them to my nanny without any concern!

Thank you everyone here for your help!

Denverappraiser, I really appreciate your kind guidance. Diamond_Hawk, kudos to your wonderful customer service! I will definitely do more business and recommend my friends and family to B2C Jewels in the future!

Speaking of the diamond tester, it is crazy how unreliable these tools are... :rolleyes:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm glad you got to the bottom of it. For myself, I would want to get diamonds for earring that were very similar looking. It would bug me if 1 was 1 facet pattern, and the other was a different facet pattern, which is what you are doing.

tracylt

Shiny_Rock

part gypsy|1467994139|4053133 said:
I'm glad you got to the bottom of it. For myself, I would want to get diamonds for earring that were very similar looking. It would bug me if 1 was 1 facet pattern, and the other was a different facet pattern, which is what you are doing.

Haha I totally agree. I'm actually thinking about getting this diamond set in a pendant and just buy another diamond with traditional 57 facets to match the AGS stone. Honestly I bought it because it was a good price, and as a gift for my nanny who doesn't know much about diamonds (I know I know, shame on me!), but I think you're right!

rimjaja

Rough_Rock

I take it that you are in the Baton Rouge area -- Here is a local appraiser that I've used and my local jeweler uses: http://www.gijappraisals.com Your jewelry will never leave your sight there. They do everything in front of you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, good, I am very glad you aren't planning to put the 81 facet stone with the other as a pair! That would not look right at all.

I was sure it would be a diamond. I'd have a serious talk with the original jeweler because that is a very dangerous thing for them to be verifying stones when they obviously do not have the skill and training to do so!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results