shape
carat
color
clarity

B&M want''s me to upgrade 1ct -->1.15

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

powered BY espresso

Rough_Rock
I went to a local B&M and said I wanted the magical carat stone in a G, SI1. He said, if you are going to go with a 1.00 - 1.03 ct then you might as well go to a 1.15 ct +/-. His rational was the following:

1. Price jump from .95 to 1.00 is big, but price jump for a few points more once ABOVE the magical carat is not as great.

2. If the stone chips, one can have the stone re-cut and it will still be over the carat mark afterwards.

Dealer had a sarin (type)machine, colorometer (to measure how close the color is to the next color up or down) and all the CAD programs to customize jewelry. He even had an inFocus type projector to show images on the wall (makes for a good show). Through his machines, he can look at all the angles and facets of the diamond then determine (through parameters used by the labs (GIA, AGL,....) which stone to send out to what lab for certification. But, he also works with a supplier based out of New York that does all the measurements for him which adds about 3% to the cost of the stone.

Is this a common upsell technique to get me to purchase a larger stone? How often does a diamond chip?

Rand_alThor

Rough_Rock
I dont have a rapsheet in front of me, but I think as far a point #1 is concerned, the retailer may have a point.

If you want to do a comparison of the increase in price by 15 points do the following. calculate the % jump from 0.85 (this is 0.85 not 0.95) carat to 1.00 carat. and the % jump from 1.00 to 1.15%. You should get a farily good idea from those numbers if what the retailer is saying is true.

Assume that the % difference between 0.85-.1.0% is 15%(hypothetcial)

Assume that the % difference between 1.0-.1.15% is 10%(hypothetcial)

Assume that the retailer will discount both brackets by around 30% when quoting u the final price.

In my hypothetical case, the range difference is smaller in the 1.0-1.15 range so financially speaking this range would be a bigger bang for the buck.

The diiference in price from 1.00-1.15 is 10%, so you are paying an extra 10 dollars per every 100 dollars you spend for a 15 point increase. When you bump up from 0.85-1.0 you are paying 15 dollars for every 100 dollars you spend. The savings are based on relative scale and not an absolute one.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
#1 is correct. There is a premium assessed when a diamond hits the magic 1 carat mark.

#2 IMHO, seems like a sales tactic. "If the diamond gets chipped." Sounds like the jewler is using IF to try to push you to buy a diamond he has in stock rather than work to get you what you want. I don't mean that what the jeweler said is not true, but how often is any diamond chipped??? Daily, routine wearing presents hazards to a diamond, but diamonds are typically most vulnerable during the setting process than just about any other time.
1.gif

powered BY espresso

Rough_Rock
I asked him where he prices based on rappaport. He said "17 back". Should I be looking for 30 back?

Rand_alThor

Rough_Rock
When I first started shopping for diamonds, my gf wanted a princess. When shopping for princess cuts most agressive B&M's here in NY were willing to give me 30% below rap on a princess.

Use the standard lowball bargaining technique: they lowball you at 17%, you lowball them back and offer 40%, he'll probably scorn and say he can't even touch that, start bargaining and hopefully you guys will fall somewhere in between which is acceptable to both of you. But do this only and only if you are absolutely sure you want that stone.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I am scared that this guy is even mentioning CHIPPING?! *GASP* You can't just "recut" a stone, unless you are damned good. Y

ou could literally lose a lot on a stone if the chip is bad enough and you want to retain good proportions. You could ruin angles and percentages on the stone by recutting improperly!

This guy just scares me with his blase attitude of chipping and patching it up. RUN!
eek.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Any time a jeweler pulls out the Rap Sheet and starts haggling with you using it, you are likely to fall into the Rap Trap. The Rapaport Report is and insiders guide to diamond pricing filled with many intracacies that regular folk cannot even begin to understand. Check out this Price Scope thread that discusses the Rap Trap. When a dealer pulls at the Rappaport Report, run in the other direction.
2.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
To give you an idea, here are some super ideal stones in G SI1 1-1.15 ct:

1.01 for $4975

1.01 for $5266

1.024 for $5800

1.07 for $6060

1.08 for $6465

1.10 for $6340

1.11 for $6645

I don't know what your budget is, but instead of increasing a couple of points, I would consider making sure your cut quality is phenomenal. Then, if you have $ to spare, consider a bigger size. You can get a 1 carat G SI1 for a lot less, but only by sacrificing cut:

1.02 G SI1 for $4645 -- scores a 6.0 on the HCA -- ick!