shape
carat
color
clarity

[AVR/OEC] Small stone in halo or big stone in solitaire?

Small stone in halo or big stone in solitaire?

• Small stone in halo

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Big stone in solitaire

Votes: 45 91.8%

• Total voters

elizabethtwrs

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm facing a stone and setting dilemma. I can't decide between getting a smaller stone (around 0.75ct) and putting it in a halo, or a larger stone (around 1.25-1.5ct) and setting it in a solitaire. The solitaire will have diamonds down the shank though. If it makes a difference, I'm eyeing an AVR or OEC, the smaller stone will be a G, while the bigger one will be a J. Of course the price for the bigger stone in a solitaire will be more, about $4000 more than the smaller stone in a halo but not something that we couldn't swing.

My finger size is 3, so either way the finger coverage will be generous. I created a poll, thanks for the opinions!

hidingpearl

Rough_Rock
My personal stance is smaller diamond in a halo, but it really depends on what you like and what suits you. I don't think you're going to find your answer in this post, you're going to have to figure out yourself what style suits your hand and personal flair. That's the advice I was given by PSers and I tried on so many settings until I was 100% sure I wanted a halo. Have you had a chance to try on any settings since your last post? You're very lucky you have a size 3 finger, you could even get away with a .75ct in a solitaire! For me, a pros and cons list helped me a lot, why don't you give that a go? Are you leaning more towards one thing than another?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No question about it. Big stone in solitaire. Elegant and classic and timeless. Of course it comes down to personal aesthetics but this is my opinion.

In the future you can always change the setting but the diamond itself, the main attraction so to speak might be more difficult to change so I would go for the biggest and best diamond you can afford. With a size 3 finger a 1.25 carat will look large and beautiful!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own one of each and I wear the large solitaire all the time ie the most it's the most practical and comfortable of the two rings. The halo is more blingy, so it depends what look you want as well....

elizabethtwrs

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1426155545|3845960 said:
I own one of each and I wear the large solitaire all the time ie the most it's the most practical and comfortable of the two rings. The halo is more blingy, so it depends what look you want as well....

Arkieb, are the centre stones in your halo and solitaire the same size? I prefer blingy styles... The blingier the better, hence the solitaire would minimally need a blinged out shank too. However I'm also quite a magpie and have realised that I'm quite fascinated whenever I see big stone solitaires on other people...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not a larger stone and a halo, especially as you're willing to spend the money? Split the difference and get a 1+ carat in a halo.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Rhea said:
Why not a larger stone and a halo, especially as you're willing to spend the money? Split the difference and get a 1+ carat in a halo.

I think Rhea is on to something here.... :)) I also like blingy and detail, but not too over the top, more like subtle bling. I tried on settings for a very long time and kept trying to like a solitaire on myself, because like you, I love seeing them on others, but I couldn't like it enough. Perhaps if I was able to afford a larger stone, yes, but my upgrade got me a 1.03 carat that I did put in a halo setting for more finger coverage and to avoid DSS. I think you should try out this size option, too, as Rhea suggested.

I do agree with Missy though that perhaps you should get the largest size possible and reset down the road. But how does a reset sit with you? Some don't like that idea for sentimental reasons. For me it was fine since my original e-ring (white gold) was an estate piece and we had talked about a reset early on to match metal with my platinum wedding band.

Good luck with your search and feel free to post hand shots of try-one or screen shots of setting examples for more opinions. :sun:

Edit: I voted for halo, but mainly because it seemed you like that better, and also because I do love halos. I don't necessarily think you have to go smaller though.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I second Rhea's idea of a 1ct with halo. That will get you size and halo.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case get the largest stone you can afford and put it into a simple solitaire for now and save and for a special anniversary get a stunning halo put around it. I have 3 stones that I wear, a 5.34 which is a solitaire, a 2.38 transitional and a .90 transitional in an original deco setting I wear a bit as well, it is a solitaire but with ornate metal sides.... Out of the three rings I wear the 5.34 the most the .90 the second most and the 2.38 transitional in a halo the least. The 2.38 is by far the most flashy/blingy ring that gets the most attention. The solitaires are the most practical for every day wear and the bling ring is great for going out somewhere....

You have really really tiny fingers so a 1.00+ in a solitaire will look big on you and by the time you suffer from diamond shrinkage syndrome then you can save up and put a halo around it and that will take up even more finger real estate.

elizabethtwrs

Rough_Rock
Rhea|1426159644|3845970 said:

The problem with 1ct old cuts is that they almost seem like a unicorn... So hard to find! It's been really hard so far to find a 1ct stone with the cut and make that I like too.... It so happens that the 2 diamonds I like the most now are the 0.75 and the 1.5... I know it's a huge gulf but I haven't found anything in between yet that I like. I've been without a ring for some time since our engagement and my FI is getting a little antsy and wants me to buy something soon! Haha

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something around the 1.10 to 1.20 carat range would be a great compromise.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
elizabethtwrs|1426166832|3846022 said:
Rhea|1426159644|3845970 said:

The problem with 1ct old cuts is that they almost seem like a unicorn... So hard to find! It's been really hard so far to find a 1ct stone with the cut and make that I like too.... It so happens that the 2 diamonds I like the most now are the 0.75 and the 1.5... I know it's a huge gulf but I haven't found anything in between yet that I like. I've been without a ring for some time since our engagement and my FI is getting a little antsy and wants me to buy something soon! Haha

Since its between a 0.75 and 1.5, get the 1.5 ct and put it in a solitaire. Add a halo to it down the road when you get DSS.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Totally go big! Wear the solitaire for a bit & when you need a change, get a new setting. It will be cheaper & less stressful to do that than having to look for a new stone or setting down the road because the smaller stone isn't doing it for you. Plus, the smaller stone's diameter in a halo might end up being the same size as the larger stone in a simple setting. LOL

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are ring companies that offer reasonable pre made settings like Gabriel & Co, & I think Beverly K has some that are well priced. Also check out Stuller. They have a new 3C line that I've found have some simple halo's that are inexpensive. Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with a larger diamond now, but I'd go with H-I color and not J, personally. I ordered several AVR's to look at and could easily see the tint in the J stone and just thought the higher colors looked brighter. So I'd go with a 1.0-1.2, set it in an inexpensive solitaire for now, and then see how you feel about changing to a halo later. With your tiny fingers, a halo will be pretty huge, so you may want to see how you feel about the solitaire first. I think these stones are more enjoyable the larger the size due to being able to see the facets better, so that is why I'd go a larger than .75.

Example:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-03ct-i-si1-august-vintage-round-diamond.html

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a solitare fan in general, so I'd get the larger stone. You can get a blingy shank, enternity band, etc to help blingify your finger

eta - just read it will have a pave shank, so that sounds perfect. Plus, you can always halo the larger stone down the road if you really want more.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean but there do seem to be a few in-between. For example,
OEC, 1.10 J VVS2 http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-10ct-old-european-cut-gia-j-vvs2#.VQHBbOGPxTo
AVR 1.07 G VS2 http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-07ct-g-vs2-august-vintage-round-diamond.html
AVR 1.14 J VS1 http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-14ct-j-vs1-august-vintage-round-diamond.html

I guess you've been looking high and low and probably ruled those out already? I'm just hoping that something prefect between has popped up for you!

elizabethtwrs

Rough_Rock
Rhea|1426178919|3846108 said:
I know what you mean but there do seem to be a few in-between. For example,
OEC, 1.10 J VVS2 http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/1-ct-to-2-00/1-10ct-old-european-cut-gia-j-vvs2#.VQHBbOGPxTo
AVR 1.07 G VS2 http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-07ct-g-vs2-august-vintage-round-diamond.html
AVR 1.14 J VS1 http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-14ct-j-vs1-august-vintage-round-diamond.html

I guess you've been looking high and low and probably ruled those out already? I'm just hoping that something prefect between has popped up for you!

Thanks Rhea! Yeah I have been looking for some time and it's getting a little tiring, so I too just want to settle on a stone she get it done and over with! If I go for the 1-1.2ct range, I think we would like to go up higher in color to at least a I or even G/H, but max budget for the stone around $8k. I probably have seen those stones you've linked, but will go check them out again!

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1426170444|3846043 said:
I would go with a larger diamond now, but I'd go with H-I color and not J, personally. I ordered several AVR's to look at and could easily see the tint in the J stone and just thought the higher colors looked brighter. So I'd go with a 1.0-1.2, set it in an inexpensive solitaire for now, and then see how you feel about changing to a halo later. With your tiny fingers, a halo will be pretty huge, so you may want to see how you feel about the solitaire first. I think these stones are more enjoyable the larger the size due to being able to see the facets better, so that is why I'd go a larger than .75.

Example:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-03ct-i-si1-august-vintage-round-diamond.html

This is exactly how I feel!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
See, I am no help. I felt my 4ct OEC was too small... So I haloed her :dance:

I love halos. They are just so pretty!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
my smaller OEC in a halo gets ALL the compliments....

It's a higher color and those chunky flashes of brightness can't be beat.

If I were you, I would pick according to color actually, especially with your ring size.
That's my personal opinion though....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results