shape
carat
color
clarity

Avoid Ring Settings that blocks the diamond?

Avoid ring settings that have a basket/settings that block light from coming into the diamond

• Total voters

mice730

Rough_Rock
I heard from a video that you should avoid ring settings that have a basket or settings that block light from coming into the diamond. I don't think it's entirely true because the diamond only reflects light from the crown and table so as long as the crown and table aren't obscured then it's fine.
1707074776342.png
If the above statement is true then we should always try to get 4 prongs instead of 6 prongs?
1707074472169.png 1707074487375.png
And should avoid any settings like the below with a basket?
1707074626278.png 1707074636852.png

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a newbie here, so I can only chime in generally about security.

Sometimes you want 6 prongs depending on the size of the stone. Also, some people like having the more circular look on a setting. That bar/basket is also a safety/security measure so which helps the prongs from getting too far bent out of shape. Prongs catch on things all the time.

However, your post is about light return, and sorry if I'm the thread off topic with other considerations. Experts will chime in soon, I'm sure, about setting obstruction.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you are looking at a diamond to admire it’s sparkle you are looking down on the table.
Diamonds are therefore faceted to reflect back to your eyes the light entering through the table.
If a diamonds sparkle was dependent on light entering in from the sides, a fully bezel set diamond would have no sparkle. That isn’t the case.
Coloured gemstones are a different kettle of fish. They don’t rely on light for dispersion like diamonds, they use light to illuminate the colour and hue of the gemstone so they can and do use any light that might be coming in from the sides.
From an aesthetic viewpoint a heavy thick basket setting might look clunky when viewed side on but it’s not affecting light return and it’s not the viewpoint where you can see the diamonds dispersion in any regard.

mice730

Rough_Rock
I'm a newbie here, so I can only chime in generally about security.

Sometimes you want 6 prongs depending on the size of the stone. Also, some people like having the more circular look on a setting. That bar/basket is also a safety/security measure so which helps the prongs from getting too far bent out of shape. Prongs catch on things all the time.

However, your post is about light return, and sorry if I'm the thread off topic with other considerations. Experts will chime in soon, I'm sure, about setting obstruction.

No your answer about security and aesthetics is correct. I have the same thought when choosing between 4 prongs and 6 prongs.

mice730

Rough_Rock
If a diamonds sparkle was dependent on light entering in from the sides, a fully bezel set diamond would have no sparkle. That isn’t the case.
This comment has already convinced me. Thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely not true. That would mean 6 prong settings = less light than 4 prong always, which isn't true

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results