shape
carat
color
clarity

Average diamond size in NYC: myth vs. reality.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 1:55:47 PM
Author: baby monster

ITA, very common practice. Some go even further. Some of my guy friends mentioned to me that they purchased a cz replica of the e-ring together with the real ring. Their ff/wife wears the cz ring every day and the real one comes out of the safe only for special occasions. I was more than puzzled by this practice because none of the rings were more than 15-25K. I''m not discounting the amount of money, it is a significant number, but why spend that much then? You can have 20K in cash sit in the safe and take the stack out for special occasions.
2.gif
That seems very odd to me. I understand wearing a less assuming ring for professional and social reasons, but an inexpensive replica of the actual ring will look no less flashy. Anyway, don''t these people have insurance?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, the ring is def. insured while it sits in the safe. I don''t understand it at all. Would you buy a real Gucci/LV bag for special occasions and an exact knock-off to carry every day?

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Bizarre. What a stupid way to be rich :).

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Interesting thread.

I hope I am not repeating something mentioned above, but I think we can get pretty skewed around here. I honestly think that the diamonds on PS are generally larger (and certainly NICER!
12.gif
) than that of the Jane Q Public masses.

glamoria

Rough_Rock
I live in Ny and my friends are high earners and there is a 2ct minimum and a serious competition. By the way quality matters to.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/1/2007 1:58:49 PM
Author: fanboy

Date: 8/1/2007 1:55:47 PM
Author: baby monster

ITA, very common practice. Some go even further. Some of my guy friends mentioned to me that they purchased a cz replica of the e-ring together with the real ring. Their ff/wife wears the cz ring every day and the real one comes out of the safe only for special occasions. I was more than puzzled by this practice because none of the rings were more than 15-25K. I''m not discounting the amount of money, it is a significant number, but why spend that much then? You can have 20K in cash sit in the safe and take the stack out for special occasions.
2.gif
That seems very odd to me. I understand wearing a less assuming ring for professional and social reasons, but an inexpensive replica of the actual ring will look no less flashy. Anyway, don''t these people have insurance?

9.gif
I doubt that the NYC or foreign-national muggers will stop and ask to see the cert before they mug you and steal the ring. Either insure it, wear it, enjoy it, or sell the ring and invest the cash in something profitable.
2.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have seen everything from 1 carat up to hearing someone who I know of who has a 25 carat D flawless diamond, emerald cut. It really just depends on so many factors.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that 2ct diamonds are more commonly seen than before, regardless of location, due to a combination of Internet, competitive pricing, and clarity enhanced, plus the resale of large older diamonds from estates. I see e-rings with 8mm (2ct size) centers on the hands of retail sales clerks at Penneys. Are they "real?" I don''t know. I''ve seen several 2ct or 2.5 ct solitaires just at one mall jeweler in the past year. Some faced the size of a 1.5ct. All were I1 or ugly I2 with visible inclusions. All were certed I or lower color but could have been J or lower. I''v seen big diamonds in the local "& Loan" jewelers that are gorgeous at arm''s length but plainly have a big black inclusion when inspected in good light.

There are a lot of things out there today that can look like a 2ct, especially on a moving hand at a theater or a cocktail party. I wouldn''t go by that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results