shape
carat
color
clarity

AVC plus halo and/or baguettes...help!

cettec

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have a 1.4 D AVC in a temporary setting. The WG just does not do the stone justice, so I am looking for a reset. I want something classic, and maybe with some more finger coverage.

I typically prefer simple, but I won't be adding a wedding band for 2 years and want to give this beautiful stone some support. =)

Current setting
AVC%201.4.jpg

Love this halo
Screen%20shot%202011-10-11%20at%2011.48.37%20PM.png

And love this shank
DSCN6352D.jpg

I would love any opinions or suggestions!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
cettec|1318477067|3039059 said:
I have a 1.4 D AVC in a temporary setting. The WG just does not do the stone justice, so I am looking for a reset. I want something classic, and maybe with some more finger coverage.

I typically prefer simple, but I won't be adding a wedding band for 2 years and want to give this beautiful stone some support. =)

Current setting
AVC%201.4.jpg

Love this halo
Screen%20shot%202011-10-11%20at%2011.48.37%20PM.png

And love this shank
DSCN6352D.jpg

I would love any opinions or suggestions!

Either of those would be AMAZING. I can't think of anything better to suggest than what you have. Both are very Deco and just fabulous. You have excellent taste!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore the second one and like the first one except the halo is a little too flowery for me. Have you looked at the Singlestone site? If you go through all their rings you can find some more ideas. Beverley K is a possibility and my personal favorite is Van Craeynest, although they are very expensive and a little more detailed than it sounds like you want. Your stone is really beautiful! I'd really be interested in seeing a quote on having that second ring made. Maybe try Victor Canera.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the halo one but maybe with a wee bit tinyer stones. Its really pretty!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really like both of the settings you posted. The only thing I'd think about is what kind of wedding band you plan to get and how it will sit with whatever setting you select.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Both settings are gorgeous but I think my vote goes to that beautiful halo!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE the second!!!! It's gorgeous and I think it gives a little more oomph on the finger, but still lets the AVC shine.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He he - I had my 1.43 AVC in that same Stuller setting, and you are right - it does the stone no justice. I reset mine into a modified Jlia from JbEG, and it looks lovely! I really like the 2nd setting you posted, though - it's gorgeous!

cettec

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you for all the thoughts and opinions!!

I am leaning towards the second one also, because I feel like halos are very trendy right now, even though that particular one has a vintage feel. BUT, for me, the positives to the halo are more finger coverage and I could get a thin shank to make it pop...my fingers aren't particularly long (and size 6.5)

Decisions, decisions... Please keep the opinions coming!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
cettec|1318515050|3039297 said:
Thank you for all the thoughts and opinions!!

I am leaning towards the second one also, because I feel like halos are very trendy right now, even though that particular one has a vintage feel. BUT, for me, the positives to the halo are more finger coverage and I could get a thin shank to make it pop...my fingers aren't particularly long (and size 6.5)

Decisions, decisions... Please keep the opinions coming!

I have a 6.5 finger and a 6x6 stone and I ADORE my halo. So my vote is halo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Slightly different version of you halo. I like your east/west baguette better for your size stone. But I like the angle of the halo of this one better than yours. I'd angle the halo like this one.

Perfect Deco Halo.jpg

cettec

Rough_Rock
Trade
Gypsy... I LOVE that halo. I actually have that pic saved, probably from a post of yours elsewhere. In fact, I do like the way it presents better, maybe because that stone is more square like my cushion.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Gypsy's halo and I also love the first one. Unlike Tyty, I would do slightly bigger stones in the halo. I don't think they are particularly
trendy, but you do see more of them now. They have been popular for a century or better, if not more, but are having a bit of a resurgence. You have to go with your heart too. I initially wanted a halo and opted for a solitaire in the end. I still kind of long for the halo presence though.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
cettec|1318534273|3039548 said:
Gypsy... I LOVE that halo. I actually have that pic saved, probably from a post of yours elsewhere. In fact, I do like the way it presents better, maybe because that stone is more square like my cushion.
I really think you are a halo girl. :bigsmile:

cettec

Rough_Rock
Trade
You might be right and I just needed some convincing ;-) .... would you mind sharing a pic of your halo?

And can you explain more about the angle difference btwn the halos that you referred to earlier?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
cettec|1318547278|3039725 said:
You might be right and I just needed some convincing ;-) .... would you mind sharing a pic of your halo?

And can you explain more about the angle difference btwn the halos that you referred to earlier?

I'll explain the angle when I have 2 hands 8) to type with... right now I've got an armful of kitty love. ;))

Layla Steven Reset.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Man, Gypsy, every time I see your set I drool!

Cettec, I LOVE the first halo you posted. It's gorgeous! Is that an AVC set in it? Halos are popular, true, but they are actually very classic. They've been around forever.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so the hour-long snuggle fest is over and I can type.

How do I explain this. If you look at the profile of the halo ring you posted the halo would be perpendicular you the shank at a 90 degree angle.

If you look at the halo of the sapphire ring you can see it has a gentle slope. If you looked at it from the profile view you wouldn't see the edge of the halo you would see the halo stones rising toward the center.

Let me know if that makes sense. If it doesn't I can try to explain it better.

I HATE to use this as a visual, but that's my personal issue, and it's a good illustration.

Compare the First halo (Victor) with the Last (Leon). See how Leon's is perpendicular to you, and Victors is set at an angle so from the side you see halo not a big metal line? Mine is set at an angle too, at my request (I had this in my first halo as well, again at my request)...slightly away from the center stone, although my melee are so small (1/2 pointers) you still see metal, but I like metal showing (obviously as I have metal only under-wires and shank). But halos look better angled generally.

3ringsfinger1_0.jpg

ETA: Thank you Laila, that's very sweet of you to say! That is before I sized my rings up so you can SEE the finger pudge... it's much better now. But in the pic the rings were 5.75 ... I'm a 6.5 now.

cettec

Rough_Rock
Trade
Gypsy-- I love your set! And I understand what you mean about the angle, and I completely agree with your opinion. It's something I probably never would have thought about, thank you!

I sent a request for a price quote to Victor Canera and I am also going to check out some local jewelers.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cettec|1318565636|3039943 said:
Laila --- it is an AVC in the pic. Jonathan from GOG featured it on their facebook page. A customer had the setting already and was deciding on which AVC to use. I fell in love with it.

Video: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2135994249736

That setting is just so gorgeous! It really works with an AVC. I wonder which one the customer chose.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
I like the baguette better as it adds flavor to the ring without overshadowing the beautiful AVC.

mojomama4

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I've listened, learned and I've admired all your rings for sometime but have never posted anything. I did need to get involved in this discussion because the first halo ring with the baguettes that was posted is mine and I'm glad that some of you love it. It is a ring that I bought from an Estate dealer near where I live and it is from the 1930's all original. The center stone was badly chipped and I went about a 3 years search for the perfect center diamond. I went through princess cuts, two different ovals and at least 3 different cushions but they were never exactly what I dreamed of. I wanted the perfect diamond that could combined both beautiful cut and unbelievable fire but still have the look of something that would have been in the ring in the 30's. Well one, day while I was trying to educate myself future and almost giving up hope of what I dreamed of I came upon the Diamondinfoman channel and was blown away by John's love of his craft and the beautiful August Vintage Cushion diamonds. I had found with John's beautiful dream of the perfect cushion what many people tried but could not have shown me and many thought I was crazy for still searching.

cettec

Rough_Rock
Trade
mojomomma -- hello! Your ring is so very amazing! Thank you for your story.

I hope you don't mind that I am desperately seeking an affordable version of your ring. :) I contacted Victor and the initial quote (in platinum) is about double my budget. Just like you, I won't give up!

Feel free to share some hand shots. :D

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
cettec|1318691211|3040928 said:
mojomomma -- hello! Your ring is so very amazing! Thank you for your story.

I hope you don't mind that I am desperately seeking an affordable version of your ring. :) I contacted Victor and the initial quote (in platinum) is about double my budget. Just like you, I won't give up!

Feel free to share some hand shots. :D

Try BGD, Hunt Country and ERD.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I like the second one. I think the cushion looks a bit lost in the halo.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I personally would NOT pair a chunky cut stone like that with RBs. I think just baguettes makes more sense, or some sort of french cut or carre cut. I think RBs overwhelm the subtle sparkle of non-brilliant cut stones, possibly small single cuts excepted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results