shape
carat
color
clarity

AVC "Ideal" designation by AGS

sdrcush

Rough_Rock
Trade
I was lurking on the "show me" forum, and noticed a post that AGS has assigned an Ideal cut grade to the August Vintage Cushions sold by Good Old Gold. I wrote to Darren today, requesting the free updated AGS certificate and appraisal. Has anyone else received the new cert yet, and if so, what does it look like?

Any comments on whether the new cert is a big deal, or just some kind of marketing campaign?

P.S. Whatever the answer is, I love my AVC (actually it's my daughter's now) and think that GOG is top notch in terms of price, selection and especially service.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't consider it marketing at all. It is verification by AGS that the stone has ideal cut and light performance. We do find that designation useful when shopping for rounds, so I think it is quite an honor for AVC's to earn that kind of grade. The only question I'd have is how they'd award the grade to stones that were previously graded as opposed to new stones sent to AGS? But for those who already have the stones, I don't see that it would make any difference at all unless you decide to sell the stone. And your daughter's ring is so gorgeous, I don't see that happening! (We need some hand shots when you get a chance!)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've wondered about this too - nothing on AGSL website about cushions - yet, anyway

The Diamond Quality® Document is also available in a portrait-style format: the AGS “Platinum” Diamond Quality® Document. The Platinum Diamond Quality® Document provides a complete diamond grading analysis of the 4Cs: the diamond’s Cut Grade, Color Grade, Clarity Grade, and Carat Weight. Included in the Diamond Cut Grade is information on the diamond’s light performance, proportions, polish, and symmetry. This format also provides a computer-generated Light Performance Map, which is unique to each diamond. The Diamond Quality® Document is the industry’s only document that offers a diamond cut grade for Round Brilliant, Princess, Emerald, and Oval shaped diamonds---and more diamonds are coming online soon. The Diamond Quality® Document is known in the diamond industry as "the" diamond grading report for AGS Ideal Cut (sometimes known as "Triple Zero") diamonds, the highest grade a diamond can achieve by AGS Laboratories.

http://agslab.com/product_diamond_platinum_document.php

GOG's AVRs seem to come with DQRs
Here's a PoH cushion/princess/whatever category it best belongs in w/ a DQD w/ cut grade (2011) http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8128/
"Brellia" cushion brilliant w/ 2011 DQD w/ cut grade (and simulated ASET map) http://www.goodoldgold.com/show.php?image=8359/ags.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Link to the AVC with AGS ideal cut grade?

Ditto yssie.

Anyway, with those 'cushions' that have AGS0 in cut grade, almost all seems to me like a standard modern round with cushion outline.

sdrcush

Rough_Rock
Trade
Heard back from GOG today (they are very prompt with customer service response), advising that they have ordered my updated AGS certificate, and they will let me know when it comes in. I'll post a copy when it arrives.

J_Rock

Rough_Rock
sdrcush|1307553990|2940831 said:
Heard back from GOG today (they are very prompt with customer service response), advising that they have ordered my updated AGS certificate, and they will let me know when it comes in. I'll post a copy when it arrives.

Same here. I requested the new cert and cannot wait to get it in my hands. I would think that the new designation would command additional premium for the stone...how many cushions have this designation?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
J_Rock|1307555261|2940850 said:

Same here. I requested the new cert and cannot wait to get it in my hands. I would think that the new designation would command additional premium for the stone...how many cushions have this designation?

Greetings J_Rock.

You can see a copy of the new AGS Reports on most all the August Vintage™ Cushions on the site now with their proper Light Performance grades and ASET images generated by AGS imprinted of each individual diamond on their respective report.

To date there are only 2 cushions I am aware of that receive the designation of "Ideal" with regards to light performance (or cut when the polish & symmetry is ideal as well) and that is the Brellia (Square Cushion Hearts & Arrows) and the August Vintage is the first and only vintage diamond to acheive AGS Ideal status in light performance. It was the goal I personally worked towards in the diamonds optical design and a development that is new and that we are very excited about here at GOG!

Kindest regards,

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Rhino|1307568593|2941012 said:
J_Rock|1307555261|2940850 said:

Greetings J_Rock.

You can see a copy of the new AGS Reports on most all the August Vintage™ Cushions on the site now with their proper Light Performance grades and ASET images generated by AGS imprinted of each individual diamond on their respective report.

To date there are only 2 cushions I am aware of that receive the designation of "Ideal" with regards to light performance (or cut when the polish & symmetry is ideal as well) and that is the Brellia (Square Cushion Hearts & Arrows) and the August Vintage is the first and only vintage diamond to acheive AGS Ideal status in light performance. It was the goal I personally worked towards in the diamonds optical design and a development that is new and that we are very excited about here at GOG!

Kindest regards,

It has been a long day and my brain is at half speed right now, so forgive me if I am misunderstanding. Does this mean that only AVC's with ideal polish and symmetry can have AGS Ideal status?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For clarity ...

A diamond can have "Ideal" light performance yet not be ideal cut. In AGS' system if the polish, symmetry & light performance is "ideal" then it is what was commonly known as an AGS Triple "0" or "Ideal Cut" (encompassing ideal polish, symmetry & light performance). So if polish or symmetry is "Excellent" or "Very Good" etc. those metrics would take a hit yet the diamond can still be "Ideal" in Light Performance.

Your first link is a perfect example of that Yssie.

All August Vintage are cut to exhibit "ideal" light performance and designed for such.

The older report you linked to is an example of the AGS Report before the light performance grade was issued for August Vintage Cushions. That's the difference.

Kind regards,

J_Rock

Rough_Rock
Rhino|1307590111|2941320 said:
For clarity ...

A diamond can have "Ideal" light performance yet not be ideal cut. In AGS' system if the polish, symmetry & light performance is "ideal" then it is what was commonly known as an AGS Triple "0" or "Ideal Cut" (encompassing ideal polish, symmetry & light performance). So if polish or symmetry is "Excellent" or "Very Good" etc. those metrics would take a hit yet the diamond can still be "Ideal" in Light Performance.

Your first link is a perfect example of that Yssie.

All August Vintage are cut to exhibit "ideal" light performance and designed for such.

The older report you linked to is an example of the AGS Report before the light performance grade was issued for August Vintage Cushions. That's the difference.

Kind regards,

Thanks for the clarification. When I decided to purchase an AVC, I knew I was buying something special. I am glad to see the AVC line is recognized as such!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results