shape
carat
color
clarity

AVC ERD 3 stone with halo

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Re: AVC ERD 3 stone with halo and French cut sides

Gorgeous, I love everything about your ring!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your ring is just gorgeous - love the proportions of it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow! That is really beautiful!

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock

You ring looks absolutely fabulous!

iugurl

Shiny_Rock

WOW! :o That is supposed to be my jaw-dropping! That ring is SO beautiful. To tell you the truth, normally I don't care for AVCs, but yours is TO DIE FOR. I love your diamond and the setting. It is so beautiful and blingy.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh my stars, that ring is perfection!! I love every single thing about it, one of the most beautiful rings I've ever seen! Congrats!

Spesh2011

Rough_Rock

It's truly breathtaking! :love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Simply put: Amazing. One of those rings that I would love to see in person!!

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock

DandiAndi, thank you! I like friends like these, too.

Maplefemme, I appreciate the kind words.

Natylad, that is so sweet! Thank you very much.

Lknvrb, many thanks!

MGR, I love the proportions, too! I had a hard time picturing that, but I do think the sizes work nicely together. Thank you!

Tyty333, thank you!

Snow_miser, I love fabulous! :) Thank you so much.

i_ugurl, thank you! I had the stone in sort of a temporary-ish setting for a long while, and I think the halo really brings out my stone’s attributes. Thank you!

Junebug217, wow! Thank you for such a wonderful compliment.

Spesh2011, thank you! My ring is going to get a big head. ;-)

DD, thank you! I think the ring looks a good bit larger in pictures than in real life. If there’s ever a PS in the NW, I’ll show it off!

Again, thanks to everyone for the kind words and compliments. They come at a much needed time. Because….

(SIGH) :rolleyes:

Okay, I had never seen my ring in such great detail until I took the macro shots. The more I studied it, the more I started thinking, “Hmmm…the side stones look different than the kind of French cuts I was expecting. Like, a lot different” I started fret. Then worry. Then obsess about whether some kind of mix-up happened and they weren’t French cuts after all. I contacted Mark and learned (I’m sure you see where I’m going with this), that they aren’t. :o :((

I don’t know exactly what happened since I asked for French cuts, but the side stones are brilliant cut traps. I talked with Mark and he said that he’d be happy to replace them with French cut traps—and pay shipping, which I thought was very nice—but (here’s the kicker) he didn’t recommend them.

He feels that they will look flat and lifeless and that they’re fine for small side stones, but not as side stones on a ring like mine. It would have been nice to have had this conversation before—in the concepting stage, during CAD/development and approval, when I asked if the proposed French cuts would be large enough, etc—but it didn’t. And now I don’t know what to do.

I like my ring. Love it. BUT I wanted French cut side stones as a complement to the AVC. Or at least I THOUGHT I did. I am so upset and confused and more than a little mortified that I’ve been blathering about a cut that actually has no presence in my ring. :blackeye: I wish I could change the subject line. I feel like a fool and I feel kind of, not duped really, but… not in receipt of what I expected.

So…I would love to hear your thoughts. Should I just go with the ring, mindful that I did love it, even though it wasn’t exactly what I thought it was? Or should I go with my original plan of French cut traps, even though Mark basically he said he thought it would look terrible. He said he'll do whatever I want, but I'm at a loss.

If you have any words of wisdom, please share them. I value the insight of PSers!

Thank you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow!!!! :o An AVC AND an AVR???!!!! You are one lucky lady! I love them both!

I think you should leave the ring as it is. I agree with Mark that French cut traps would not look right. I like small ones in a band, but I can't see them as larger side stones. I think the traps you have are the right kind for that setting. And you said it was the ring of your dreams before you knew the name of the stones. So I think you should leave it as it is!!!!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

I think your ring is stunning and the traps look great, if you had no melee I don't think they'd quite go, but they do match nicely and complement the melee, however, I do love french cuts and their quiet fire, they really seem to work well with the old style cuts.
If you don't get them, will you focus on the traps not being frenchies or can you let it go from your mind and enjoy the ring as it is? If so; don't touch it, it's gorgeous.
If it were me I'd get them changed, but I like the subtle flashes from frenchies personally and if I put so much thought into a design I'd want to see it come to fruition.
They should have discussed this with you in the design phase, yes, I'd be upset if I thought someone overlooked my request and went ahead with their own preference without consulting me. But I'm not in a position to say that's what happened here, maybe it was an innocent assumption on their part, I don't know. At least he's willing to rectify it if you wish, and at no further expense to you.
I'd switch them, but ask Mark that if I didn't like the frenchies could the other traps be put back - but at my expense, this way I'd know for sure and not be wondering "what if".
Maybe Mark is right, maybe not, but you have to love it!

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock

DS, I'm so glad you weighed in. I rarely post, but I'm often on PS reading, learning, admiring. I've always found your advice to be insightful, well considered and helpful. I did love the ring when I wasn't hung up on nomenclature and what I thought I wanted. Maybe that should be my focus.

maplefemme, your question about whether I'll always wonder if Frenches would've looked better hits the nail on the head. That's exactly what's troubling me. Maybe Mark could do a mock layout for me or something before I consider switching. I do think it was a misunderstanding, and he's been great about making sure I have what I want. Stuff happens!

Thanks again, ladies. I'm going to sleep on it!

Kathy

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kathleen, your ring is beautiful! i am agonizing over french cuts vs. other myself and am finding i might always 'wonder' if i don't go for the frenchies first, then exchange if they are not 'it' after all. if there is some way for you to explore the french cut route (pics from mark? have them sent to you loose? put them in the option to trade them back out? etc.) i would recommend that to put your mind at ease. i think it's crummy that he put in brilliant traps without breathing a word of it to you. i would also be sure to ask about pricing - frenchies are pricey so if you were charged the FC pricing and brilliant traps are less, you would want to rectify the difference if you keep the brilliant traps.

it's a tough decision (i know!) but either way you can't go wrong. your ring is gorgy!!

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock

Hi Rainydaze, thanks for chiming in! I don't get over to RockyTalky very much, but I remember you were considering having French cuts in a band. Sounds like we're in the same boat with the what-ifs!

I like your suggestion very much. I'm guessing he would have to cut something for me, which would be a costly risk on his part. But I wonder if he has any French cuts on-hand (in a different shape) that could help make my decision. Maybe he could mock something up with an antique cushion to give me a sense of the look (although I'd be surprised if he had something on-hand that was side stone size versus accent size). If I like the Frenchies, I'd be fine with paying the price difference. I think using brilliant traps was an honest mistake, but the result is still aggravating.

So what are you thinking for your band? Leaning toward French cuts or still exploring options?

kathy

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
PS I went back through my email from Mark and saw that he not only offered to take care of the shipping, but also re-cut the stones at no cost. I don't think I could let him pay for additional hard costs, but that was nice of him to offer.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is simply STUNNING!!! :love:

Enjoy!

Cachette :))

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kathleenmv|1307803972|2943252 said:
PS I went back through my email from Mark and saw that he not only offered to take care of the shipping, but also re-cut the stones at no cost. I don't think I could let him pay for additional hard costs, but that was nice of him to offer.

if you haven't already paid for them, then that is very nice of him. i'm just thinking that you originally requested french cut sides and were expecting them - therefore i assume that's what you paid for (but didn't get them). that would also explain why he is offering to cut them for free now. if you decide to keep the brill trap sides, you should ask what their cost is vs. the french cuts, and if it's less ask for the refund. if you decide to go for the french sides, you shouldn't have to pay more because you have already paid for them!

i still don't know what to do for my band. i am leaning towards a band that has alternating oecs and french cuts because i just can't decide. then if that doesn't hit the right note, i might know better whether to go with an all-FC band or an all-OEC band. have to say, though, that new ling to the SS all-FC band has me captivated!

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Cachette! :)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kathleen, would he have to recut the traps you have? Maybe if you could just see them you could decide. If he had one he could replace
and take a photo so you could see it. The thing is, if you have your heart set on french cut traps would you really be content with the
ring not even having explored that option?

Leon seems to have no trouble getting french cut traps. Maybe they could just be brought in for you to see on spec? I agree, if that
is what you paid for you should get some kind of refund since they are so much more expensive.

Your ring is beautiful just the way it is though. I am totally in love with it!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think your ring is so gorgeous. Actually, what I love most about it is the use of traps as sidestones. I've never seen a ring quite like this and it's so unique. I think you should keep it the way it is! I know it's not what you were looking for but I just love it as is. Good luck!!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kathleenmv|1307808418|2943293 said:
Thanks, rainydaze. That makes good sense!

I love the idea of alternating OEC/French cuts. You've probably already seen these, but I love all of the options JBEG offer. Looks like they have an all FC version, too!

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/DiamondBands/Alternate-Eternity-Band-Styles/13259142_BFGY8#962893402_WiVqg

thanks for the link! i have ogled their selection before - :lickout: !! i would love to work with them, but it does seem as though their pricing is more than SS. i suppose i could inquire, find out what weights their rings come in, and how they are made, so that i can truly compare rather than just assuming.

if i get a minute, i am hoping to contact victor canera. he was recommended to me in my thread for a french cut band, and now that i am strongly leaning that way, i feel comfortable seeing what he can do and where his pricing falls. have you checked him out?

ok, threadjack over! :twirl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, goodness, that is a showstopper piece kathleen!! :sun: :sun:

E B

Ideal_Rock
This is gorrrrrgeous. The proportions work together so beautifully. :love:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, gorgeous ring :love: :love: ! I love those pastel flashes in the first picture! Congratulations !

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is one of those 'mind' things. You loved the ring and assumed the traps were french cut. Now you realize they weren't, you're second guessing the whole thing. The truth is that the ring is stunningly beautiful; not one poster here ever thought to point out that maybe they weren't french cut. If no one here sees it, no one in real life will see it. Mark acknowledges what they are and offers to switch them out for you so you are by no means stuck. We've all read some horror stories here - thank goodness this is not one of those stories!

However, having said all of that, you must realize that changing the ring MAY produce something that you won't love as much as you love it now. Damage can also occur and if that happened, you'd be beating yourself up for not leaving well enough alone. If you absolutely must have the french cuts to make it perfect, send it back but do so knowing that it might not make that much of a difference or that you might not like it as much as you do now. If you could have two identical rings to choose from except for the sidestones, it would be an easier decision but we usually don't have that available to us.

I personally think that most three stone rings with a style such as yours are dependent on the center stone being gorgeous and the sidestones being compliments. I think your ring fits this bill nicely! The focus is on that AVC center stone and the rest is just the fluff. If the center stone was wrong, I might be much more inclined to make a change.

I know it is all different when it is YOUR ring - it becomes much more personal and the need to have it perfect becomes tantamount. Just think about it thoroughly before deciding to make a change but if you can't live with it, do it. Life is too short to be distracted and unhappy with the details. Good luck to you!

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
luv2sparkle, I think it would be a re-cut of the brilliant traps. I might to ask if there’s anything on-hand to mock up in a photograph before too much time/energy is invested. Thanks for the kind words about the ring. :wavey:

iheartyou132, I’m digging the trap shape, too! Thanks very much for the lovely compliment.

rainydaze, I’d ask Erica or Grace for a quote. I think they are wonderful and their work is spectacular. Of course, I love Ari, too! I haven’t spoken to Victor Canera, but I’ve ogled the beauties he’s created for PSers. Gorgeous, gorgeous rings. Let me know what you find out if you contact him and/or JBEG. Can’t wait to see which direction you go. :lickout:

Yssie, E B and baby nurse thank you so very much!! Baby nurse, I’ve noticed that I see the facet pattern and color play more now that I have a halo. Not sure why, but I like it!

MGR, thank you for your post. It really is the other side of will-I-always-wonder-if-I-should’ve-gotten-Frenchies coin. And you’re right…I did love the ring before I got hung up on what I thought I wanted. It is totally a mental/ “mind clean” thing. As you said, life is too short to sweat the small stuff. And this is definitely small stuff! :))

Thanks again for the comments, insights, perspectives and suggestions. Very helpful and much appreciated.

Kathy

jpace2044

Rough_Rock
Those rings are stunning! As someone heavily leaning toward an avr I can't wait to see more pics!!!

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
jpace2044, thank you so much! I really am over the moon with the AVC/Engagment Rings Direct ring. And I love the AVC cut! I'll try to take more (and better!) photos soon. :)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Sooo....What have you decided?? It's a truly magnificent ring! Absolutely gorgeous, one of my favorite rings on PS. I've been checking back in every little bit to see if you have decided what to do with your traps, soooo???? :naughty: I can appreciate how difficult the decision must be! Everytime I look at my e-ring I think.."hhmmmm, you are so very close to perfect, but what if I just....(whatever my obsession is that day(its side traps and a halo currently :rolleyes: ) tweaked it a tiny bit).

Your ring is stunning, completely drool worthy and has my absolute admiration. Can't wait to hear what you decide!! :love: :love: :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results