shape
carat
color
clarity

AVC ASET for Dougsgirl

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dougsgirl,

You were asking about how to read an ASET and the ASET for an AVC.

ASET basically tells you Which facets of the diamond are reflecting light from where.

Red is good - reflects from most modern ceiling/sky light sources
Blue is also good in moderation - shadow for contrast (your head block light coming in from directly above when you lean over to look at your diamond). Blue will also reflect the colors you are wearing.
Green is ok - reflects light from the side - fire light, candel light, light reflected off walls etc. Try not to have too much green.

Here are some great pictures from the gog website:

454asetguide1.png

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Now, on to your diamond: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9198/

Hi Dougsgirl,

The first thing I notice is that the ASET looks a little mucky - they may not have lined up the ASET reflector properly when taking it - notice the blue doesn't completely fill the facets. A good aset should display nice solid colored regular facets and may display mixed colored virtual facets. Could they take it again? (Sometimes certain stones have light on the borders of the aset divisions and it can be hard to take a god photo)

When I look at an ASET I also look at the other images available to see how the information corresponds.

Overall the stone is nice and fairly symmetrical, though it does have a little more green than I would consider ideal. The facets in between the maltese cross facets seem to leak a little light near their outer corners (The mixed green and white areas on the ASET and the cream areas with bits of red on the diamxray). Around the outside of the stone there are also scattered areas of light leakage.

I like the symmetry and overall look of this stone, I'm having trouble deciding if the amout of light leakage and green is too much (In a smaller stone I wouldn't worry, but this is a larger stone). It's a nice middle of the road AVC aset-wise

Static images can only give a rough guess How does it look in video? (or in person ?)

_10.png

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi HopeDream,

I appreciate your analogy but IRL the nuances you are pointing out are not observable or are so minor, not even worth mentioning.

If there was even a notable difference I'd send every "mediocre" AVC back to have recut even if it still did receive AGS Ideal Light Performance. Dougsgirl's AVC is no less beautiful than yours or any other that we cut.

Kind regards,
Rhino

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hello Rhino,
I hope your feathers aren't ruffled.

I am well aware that all AVCs are cut to the strictest standards and all display light performance that are above and beyond 99% of what you'd see in available in the cushion market. AVCS are great stones. Any one that Dougsgirl picks will be beautiful.

That said, of all the AVC available, some have more favourable ASETS and some have slightly less favourable ASETS. Yes the differences are minor, but there are differences. This stone has a pretty good ASET of all the AVCs that I've seen, but not the most perfect ASET that I've ever seen (To be fair, my stone doesn't have the moste perfect ASET I've ever seen either, and I'm probably pickier than 90% of your customers).

Without knowing which other AVCs Dougsgirl is comparing it to, It's hard to say which had the most favourable ASET.

Note that the ASET tells us about where the light is being reflected from, but is not a measure of the real-world beauty of the stone.

The ASET only tells part of the story and I think seeing the stone performing in a lineup of similar stones would probably give Dougsgirl more useful information at this point.

Here is a smaller image closer to life size. Dougsgirl: Note how much/litte the ASET and Diamxray for the stone corresponds to the face up visual of the stone.

(As a kid I was in a 4H club and one of our main activities was judging the physical qualities of show animals - you learn very quickly to pick up on very minor differences. Often those animals were so similar and consistant for their breed, that it was only the minor differences that were used to rank that class of animals.)

454tinygog9198.png

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi HopeDream, :wavey:

Not ruffled. Just looking to help avoid confusion for consumers. When nitpicking these kind of details it's easy to get caught up in analysis paralysis and lose sight of the primary goal. What you said above though is always the best counsel. A side by side comparison which we are always willing to do for our clients.

Kind regards,
Rhino

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jon :wavey:

Agreed! :bigsmile:

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
HopeDream and Rhino,
Thank you both very much for your insight. It seems the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know anything! LOL

Here's the deal... This particular AVC is mine. I bought it in May. It is a beautiful stone and I am having it set in a custom design. But I wanted to ask about the ASET because I bought the stone before I really started learning about all of that. I have looked at other ASETs of AVC's and wondered how mine would stack up.

Part of the reason I was curious is because though I get some flashes of color/fire in the stone, most of the time it shines bright white, almost like a little flashlight. I was wondering if this is normal of all AVC's or if the minor differences in the ASETs is indicative of how much fire the stone will produce. I've noticed my stone has the most fire in low light. I think this is common, correct? When the evening sun rays come through the window, the stone is like a firecracker. Or in my bathroom at night with the lights dimmed. In sunlight or ambient daylight it is mostly white.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. I'm keeping the stone and I am thrilled with it!
I am just trying to understand the nuances of the cut.

I am attaching a few pics. I took these outdoor ones today in direct sunlight, standing over the grass, white house behind me.
I will also add a few more taken inside.

071412_0.jpg

071412_0557.jpg

071412_0561.jpg

071412_0567.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seeeeeeeeriouly doubt makers allow branded, highly-respected cuts like August Vintage, Hearts on Fire, Solasfera, Royal Asscher, Eightstar, ACA, Crafted by Infinity, Octavia etc. to vary enough to matter.
Their brand is at stake.
Besides, prices would be infinite if tolerances were ZERO.

I image if you pulled out a high-enough powered microscope you would find minute variations between all 10 Rolls Royces on the dealer's lot.

If you took 5 new identical Ferraris and had them drag race all five would not tie, but they're all Ferraris.

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
I also wanted to say to Jon...

Once I saw the AVC.. there was no other option. I am IN LOVE with the cut!! I actually bought 2 and sent the first one back due to color. It was an L and had a slightly "lemony" hue that I didn't prefer. This one is a J, and it is bright white in most lights, and creamy vanilla in others. I couldn't be happier! But of course, my favorite is when it shoots off a million colors!! I cannot WAIT to have my setting completed so I can wear it!! It is killing me that it is sitting in a box!

Here are a few more pictures.

071412_0574.jpg

img_0521.jpg

img_0554.jpg

my_stone.jpg

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Awesome and thanks DougsGirl. ::) I know your diamond and it is an amazing one.

The optics you're seeing too are totally normal. Whenever we're in any type of diffuse or ambient light is when we'll primarily see that white light return you're noting. Direct spot lighting, which is actually the least common is where you'll be able to observe fire.

Quite honestly there is nothing unusual in an ASET image that will depict more or less fire because the same facets demonstrating strong return (reds in ASET) will illuminate both white light return as well as colored light return depending on the environment you are observing the diamond in. One exception with ASET images however is that fire can also flare off of facets that show blue in the ASET as well.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dougsgirl,

I didn't know you already owned the diamond! I thought you had reserved it and were considering it among others for purchase. It's a totaly gorgeous stone and will look great in it's new home. I hope my commentary didn't make you feel discontent - I would trade with you in a heatbeat ;)) .

I am unaware of a correlation between the look of an ASET and Fire. I do notice that my AVC produces much more fire when it is squeeky clean, or in restaurant/jewellery store/bookstore lighting, but usualy glows white with hints of reflected pastels.

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
HopeDream|1342305396|3234003 said:
Hi Dougsgirl,

I didn't know you already owned the diamond! I thought you had reserved it and were considering it among others for purchase. It's a totaly gorgeous stone and will look great in it's new home. I hope my commentary didn't make you feel discontent - I would trade with you in a heatbeat ;)) .

I am unaware of a correlation between the look of an ASET and Fire. I do notice that my AVC produces much more fire when it is squeeky clean, or in restaurant/jewellery store/bookstore lighting, but usualy glows white with hints of reflected pastels.

HopeDream,
I purposly didn't mention that I already owned the diamond, because I wanted honest feedback! :naughty:
Thank you for your detailed reply and insight. And NO, it does not make me feel discontent at all!! One of the other things I was wanting to learn, was how much, in real life, does a slightly "better" or slightly "worse" ASET affect how a diamond will look to the eye. In this case, none at all!! And I think that is good for consumers to know, as well. I mean, YES, we want the best cut and light-return possible, but at some point we might be splitting hairs with all the charts, graphs and numbers.

I guess I wanted to know because I wonder if I would have hesitated to buy the stone based on reviews of the ASET, and I am really glad that I didn't!

Thanks again for taking the time to explain it to me!! I really appreciate it!

And Rhino...
Thank you for explaining the white light vs. fire. My diamond looks beautiful in ALL lighting, but it is helpful to understand how it "works" and why.
I want you to know I am thrilled my diamond!! :love: And your daughter was a delight to work with!
I will definitely post pictures when it's all done!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results