shape
carat
color
clarity

AVC and AVR Melee!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Good Old Gold is asking on it's Facebook page for people to "Like" their post if you're interested in having melee sized AVRs and AVCs!! This is so exciting!! I LOVED LOVED LOVED the 5 stone wedding bands in the .25-.40 point stones, but that is out of my (and a lot of people's) budgets.

Here's what the post says:

Good Old Gold
Just finished talking with my melee cutter. What would you guys think of various AVOEC pieces featuring .10ct AVR's and/or AVC's? "Like" this if you think it's something you could fit into your plans for an upcoming jewelry gift present idea (pendants, earrings, etc.).

Bravo Jonathan for making these beauties in the first place, and for making them in all colors and now sizes too! :appl:

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my word! I can only imagine!! :love:

They'll probably have more of those bolder flashes than single cuts! Oh just the thought! :lickout:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I planted the seed for that one! I'm making myself a "I survived losing most of my hair after three surgeries" AVR RHR before/for Christmas and I was thinking of making myself a single halo pendant with another AVR early next year, you know a girl needs something else to wear to coordinate, but...... I'd want those melees in the halo to be AVRs also. I don't want to use single cuts as suggested. I personally, and this is just my opinion, I'm not forcing my opinion on anyone else- I don't care for the look of single cuts. I have a definite aversion for them.

So I was glad to read this on my FB page and I'd love to see ten pointers because that only convinces me further that once they get this facet pattern down pat, they'll be able to cut mini-er stones down the road. So for now, my pendant project is on hold.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
gemgirl|1314915564|3007770 said:
I think I planted the seed for that one! I'm making myself a "I survived losing most of my hair after three surgeries" AVR RHR before/for Christmas and I was thinking of making myself a single halo pendant with another AVR early next year, you know a girl needs something else to wear to coordinate, but...... I'd want those melees in the halo to be AVRs also. I don't want to use single cuts as suggested. I personally, and this is just my opinion, I'm not forcing my opinion on anyone else- I don't care for the look of single cuts. I have a definite aversion for them.

So I was glad to read this on my FB page and I'd love to see ten pointers because that only convinces me further that once they get this facet pattern down pat, they'll be able to cut mini-er stones down the road. So for now, my pendant project is on hold.

Care to elaborate? Is this based off seeing them in person or just in pics? I ask because in some pics up close they do look rather ugly, but seeing some of the videos from more of a distance, they look better to me.

However, I have never seen them IRL & I would hate to have ring made with them in it only to detest them like you. The AVR's sound like a delicious alternative! :lickout:

Can you specifically elaborate on what you hate so much about them? Thanks!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I don't do Facebook, but Jonathan do it! Those stones make us crazy!

audball

Ideal_Rock

Hi gemgirl! I have a question - can you explain to me what single cuts are? I don't know what they are or what they look like. On GOG's Facebook page, a few posts before he announced that he talked to his melee cutter about getting .10 AVC and AVR stones, someone asked about them and he suggested single cuts. I was just going to google it, but I'm guessing I'm not the only one who doesn't know and figured the informaiton could be useful to others.

Thanks!!

I also can't wait to see this project you have planned! Oh how I live vicariously through others :Up_to_something:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I SAW THIS! I would totally consider a band made of melee that small. omg gorgeous.

audball

Ideal_Rock
ame|1314973734|3008236 said:
I SAW THIS! I would totally consider a band made of melee that small. omg gorgeous.
Ditto!! I would LOVE LOVE one.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd like to see what they look like first and how they compare to single cute or perhas french cuts for bold flash. I suspect melee in those sizes might be pricey because they are not cut in the volume of regular full cuts... but then I have no idea! For me I'd need a good comparison of the different options before I would opt for AVRs so teensy, or AVCs. I sort of think when those cuts get weensy the delight of the stone's cut could be lost. But the proof would be in the pudding!

Pudding = videos :rodent:

chicam

Shiny_Rock
Would be nice to have an idea of what the pricepoint would be for such a band. I would really want one if I can afford it.

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
Yes please do this it sounds amazing!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1314970342|3008182 said:

Hi gemgirl! I have a question - can you explain to me what single cuts are? I don't know what they are or what they look like. On GOG's Facebook page, a few posts before he announced that he talked to his melee cutter about getting .10 AVC and AVR stones, someone asked about them and he suggested single cuts. I was just going to google it, but I'm guessing I'm not the only one who doesn't know and figured the informaiton could be useful to others.

Thanks!!

I also can't wait to see this project you have planned! Oh how I live vicariously through others :Up_to_something:

A 0.1ct single cut? Never seen anything like it! Don't think I'd love it, honestly. Single cuts shine when the regular 57 is just too many facets, like w/ half, 1,2pointers - a 10pointer is considerably bigger!

I imagine these melee would be pretty pricey... I think it's a great idea in the 10,15pointer range for people with special projects in mind! That's IMO about the point where significant faceting differences start to be visible, but it's still very much in the "melee-sale" range - as in, you don't get to pick your own stones, they're usually sold by the lot, and w/ real antiques - the only way to get that pattern in that size right now - well, a 10, 15pointer is big enough that you can see the difference between poorly matched stones! Much smaller and it's still in too-many-facets-to-appreciate-the-difference territory, larger - 25, 30pointers people now have the option of handpicking each stone from a variety of vendors, so actual antiques become a viable alternative for someone looking for a lower pricepoint to the precision cuts..

Edit - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/so-what-kind-of-cut-is-done-for-pave-diamonds.84820/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/so-what-kind-of-cut-is-done-for-pave-diamonds.84820/[/URL]

audball

Ideal_Rock
A recent post from GOG on Facebook. He's ordered them!!

Good Old Gold
I just ordered 260 diamonds. DOH! 100 AVR and 100 AVC in sizes ranging from .08 - .12ct and 60 AVR/AVC in .23-.29ct sizes. I don't think I've ever ordered this many diamonds before in one sitting.

mrsthomas

Shiny_Rock
Woot woot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no idea what I'd do with them but I'd want a couple like 10 pt avrs and avcs.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh... I want 2 of the AVC's in the .20 range for some earring dangles I'm working on :lickout:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love AVR melee!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Goodness, what would an eensie weensie AVC look like?? Other than kinds cool I mean :cheeky:

audball

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1314990171|3008484 said:

Thanks!!

A 0.1ct single cut? Never seen anything like it! Don't think I'd love it, honestly. Single cuts shine when the regular 57 is just too many facets, like w/ half, 1,2pointers - a 10pointer is considerably bigger!

I imagine these melee would be pretty pricey... I think it's a great idea in the 10,15pointer range for people with special projects in mind! That's IMO about the point where significant faceting differences start to be visible, but it's still very much in the "melee-sale" range - as in, you don't get to pick your own stones, they're usually sold by the lot, and w/ real antiques - the only way to get that pattern in that size right now - well, a 10, 15pointer is big enough that you can see the difference between poorly matched stones! Much smaller and it's still in too-many-facets-to-appreciate-the-difference territory, larger - 25, 30pointers people now have the option of handpicking each stone from a variety of vendors, so actual antiques become a viable alternative for someone looking for a lower pricepoint to the precision cuts..

Edit - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/so-what-kind-of-cut-is-done-for-pave-diamonds.84820/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/so-what-kind-of-cut-is-done-for-pave-diamonds.84820/[/URL]
So single cuts are like the diamonds used in pave bands?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
audball|1315071866|3009082 said:
Yssie|1314990171|3008484 said:

Thanks!!

So single cuts are like the diamonds used in pave bands?

pave bands can use single cut or full cut melee.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks audball. I'm pretty excited about it too. :love:

Dreamer, check out some of my recent vids on the YT channel and you'll get an idea of how the 1/4ct's look in a band. I shot it both in macro and on my finger and did both AVC and AVR version of 5 stone wedding rings. Hard to put into words but the clips will show ya. You'll also see a 3 stone ring we just made for missydebbie.

All the best,

nararabbit

Shiny_Rock
Rhino|1315108613|3009422 said:
Thanks audball. I'm pretty excited about it too. :love:

Dreamer, check out some of my recent vids on the YT channel and you'll get an idea of how the 1/4ct's look in a band. I shot it both in macro and on my finger and did both AVC and AVR version of 5 stone wedding rings. Hard to put into words but the clips will show ya. You'll also see a 3 stone ring we just made for missydebbie.

All the best,

I hope we see more 5 stone AVC rings or AVC eternity bands... 'cause I have a 5 year anniversary coming up....! ;D I looked on the GOG website and facebook, but could not find mention of the 5 stone ring - is there an approximate cost?

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks!!

Hi Audball, I see you have asked and it hasnt been exactly answered. I am not an expert so iIhope someone with alot more knowledge can chime in. From what I know, when a RB is cut they make several 'cuts' which determines how many facets the diamond has. A RB has a specific number of facets (that can vary depending upon the type of round cut but the average is 52 --I think?). When melee is made, sometimes for the smallest of melee (think 1 pointers or even less) they only cut once (hence the name single cut). There are far less facets on a single cut than a traditional/fully cut RB (everytime the diamond is cut, more facets are made). In small melee the thought is that having less facets (but larger facets bc there are less of them) will help with flashes of light on the teeny tiny melee. High quality watch makers use single cuts as do some vendors that work with melee (Leon Mege for example). The one negative I know of is if a single cut melee falls out they can be difficult to replace bc there arent alot of them around (or so I have read in previous threads). Also, single cuts are more expensive bc they are harder to get (I think).

Ok, that was my very basic (and flawed) explanation. I know there are ALOT of people that can give a MUCH MORE intelligent answer----anyone out here and wanna chime in?? :wacko:

ETA: Yssie has a link in her response that helps explain single cuts. In the link she posted, there is another link to Leon Mege's glossary that also explains single cuts. Keep in mind that Single vs Full cut melee is a personal choice. There is no right or wrong. Some love 'em, some don't. Leon thinks they are superior so keep that in mind when you read his glossary. Also, many people love Leon's work around here so that influences opinions. It is something you should see with your own eyes before deciding.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to do a three quarter or full eternity AVC. The hard part is choosing what size. .08 - .12 perfect melee size. :appl:

I have my 15th year anniversary coming up. Time to start hinting to hubby. :devil:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results