shape
carat
color
clarity

AV Elyque Setting Opinion....

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
Are there other vendors with this same policy on custom pieces? My only experience with custom pieces has been with DK and CVB.

Hi, I’m not sure, but I will take a look to see, thanks for the suggestion.

Question - Is it a custom piece or not? If it was one of his settings on line? Because the setting had to be scaled down to fit size of diamond, does that make it a custom piece?
I dunno, I’m new to this...

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
I do not see anything wrong with the manufacture or scale of the setting. It's the color of the gold.

Me being new to this process, I saw this picture and the render and thought my ring would look the same. If it was the RG compared to WG or Platinum I would have hoped this would have been seen in the render but it wasn’t. Thank you

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
Maybe you have seen this setting from AV? Even though it's another metal and smaller diamonds (in the halo), Screenshot_20190921-162504_Instagram.jpg the stones are set tighter with no visible metal in between.
Yes, I saw this halo version, but wanted chunkier melee’s for a more unique look. That’s what the My Halo versión says and I liked. Thank you though for trying...
I’m just sad...

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
FWIW based on the photos in this thread I also think OP's rose-gold version matches up with the CAD image ... is it possible you have buyer's remorse OP?

Hi, I’m trying to learn all these Pricescope acronyms, bear with me, I know the first one, FWIW, but what is OP? Other People?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, I’m trying to learn all these Pricescope acronyms, bear with me, I know the first one, FWIW, but what is OP? Other People?

It sounds for original poster so in this case you!

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Aaaaw don't be sad, you've got a goooooorgeous stone and I'm certain it will all work it self out.
If it is to any consulation I did not enjoy my first e-ring (drama:lol:).
You live and learn and now you know what you prefer =)2.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
FWIW based on the photos in this thread I also think OP's rose-gold version matches up with the CAD image ... is it possible you have buyer's remorse OP?

No, it is not possible, I wanted to buy a beautiful ring, and a ring I would enjoy for a long time or I would not have paid the money for it, or gone to an expert on Ovals. I wanted a specific look, for the setting, and I’m not happy with that look. Several others agree.
I was asking for opinions and experience and you have provided yours, thank you

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
Aaaaw don't be sad, you've got a goooooorgeous stone and I'm certain it will all work it self out.
If it is to any consulation I did not enjoy my first e-ring (drama:lol:).
You live and learn and now you know what you prefer =)2.

You are awesome! Yes the stone is gorgeous, it’s just the setting...
Thank you

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your opinion, I sure appreciate it. Yes, if it would have been better to have the halo in WG or platinum, I should have been told, but since my color of Elyque is a J, the RG was an excellent choice.
The render showed that. It’s just the actual ring does not match the render. This is my first time experiencing ordering on line. Not sure if I’d do this again.
Thank you again for your thoughts.

I fear I might not have been clear; what I meant was - had your CAD image been shown in rose gold - I think the spacing between the diamonds would have been more evident before the ring was actually made, and you’d have been able to ask for the change then.

Also, just because the ‘original’ ring had one size center diamond, doesn’t mean this ring couldn’t and shouldn’t have been scaled properly in the CAD to match Sunshine’s diamond’s size to achieve a similar look. That said, I don’t get the sense AV really offers much ‘design’ help for someone in her position (not having gone custom before). That’s where a more artistic designer like CvB might have been better to deliver a result closer to expectations. Hopefully AV offers to remake the ring - or at least the halo - so Sunshine can enjoy her ring.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
I fear I might not have been clear; what I meant was - had your CAD image been shown in rose gold - I think the spacing between the diamonds would have been more evident before the ring was actually made, and you’d have been able to ask for the change then.

Also, just because the ‘original’ ring had one size center diamond, doesn’t mean this ring couldn’t and shouldn’t have been scaled properly in the CAD to match Sunshine’s diamond’s size to achieve a similar look. That said, I don’t get the sense AV really offers much ‘design’ help for someone in her position (not having gone custom before). That’s where a more artistic designer like CvB might have been better to deliver a result closer to expectations. Hopefully AV offers to remake the ring - or at least the halo - so Sunshine can enjoy her ring.

You are too awesome!! I’m so happy I posted this, because I thought it was just me that saw the actual ring did not look like the CAD. If the CAD did show the spaces/gaps/lines, I would have definitely said something. Prior to AV sending me the ring, I asked him to put it on a finger so I could really see it. I saw it, but was hoping I was wrong and the ring would be fine. Wrong.
When I went back and looked at the Renders he sent to me, then looked on his site at the original ring, under settings, under My Halo, I selected the wrong setting, the setting was called Invisible Halo, and I noticed that some of the pics under that setting are the same exact pics he sent me that he called renders for the ring he was making me. Weird how two different settings on his site were sent to me to decide if I wanted the ring I got.
I hope the halo gets fixed per my liking and like the original ring, but if not, I hope I at least get the refund for the setting, I will take yours and others advice on using other individuals like CvB or David Klass, to set my diamond, I think those are two names I see a lot!
But for now, I still have the ring until AV says I can return it for fixing. :(2
Thank you again for reassuring me that it’s not just me that sees a difference.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
Questions, for anyone, or anyone that has purchased a ring from AV, regarding his policy on the AV website. Comments?

One, It states;
100% Peace of Mind Money Back Guarantee
Our policies are really very simple. At August Vintage Inc. your total satisfaction and complete peace of mind in your purchase is our #1 priority. Buying direct from August Vintage Inc. is pretty straight forward. On all our diamonds you have a full 2 week refund on your diamond purchase (less shipping), no questions asked. Should you choose to purchase through an authorized August Vintage distributor their return policies would apply.

If you are purchasing direct via the August Vintage Inc. website you'll have 14 days to examine your diamond to ensure it lives up to your expectations. Returns are hassle free and prompt.

Break——-

So based on the above, if I paid for diamond on 2 Aug and didn’t received the ring until 27 Aug, so the 14 day period has already expired? Because the 14 days starts from the day you purchase, I’m assuming?

Break—-

And because of this additional statement on his site;
(Instances in which a refund policy with August Vintage Inc. does not apply are the following; Custom made settings

Is my setting really custom made? Especially since it was his setting and he would have to size it for whatever diamond he was working with....

Break ———

I still see this part of his policy;
At August Vintage Inc. your total satisfaction and complete peace of mind in your purchase is our #1 priority.

So, I’m hoping this statement is true.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would say yes, it's a custom setting. It's not an in stock item, like something ordered from Stuller that is a non- special order. It was a design that existed, cads were done and tailored to the stone.

I too think the problem is the rose gold. The metal pops against the stones. I see it on the cad for what it is worth. I'm sorry you are not loving it though. I think it's very pretty.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Is my setting really custom made? Especially since it was his setting and he would have to size it for whatever diamond he was working with...."

I agree with @elizat that your setting was definitely custom made. He didn't just size a stock ring, he make the CADs to specifically fit your diamond and finger size and then had it made. I agree with the others that it's the metal color that is the problem. You just don't see the gaps as much when the metal is white. You could possibly solve the problem by having the setting rhodium plated.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
What I don't understand is that the OP loved the ring when she received it. (Check out Show Me the Bling!) but now hates the ring. How does one go from love to hate in such a short period of time?

muesli

Shiny_Rock
^ Maybe she loved it initally but as the days went by she couldn't convince herself that she was okay with the metal prongs? Sometimes we get so overwhelmed at first that we don't see the small things/details.
Not op just guessing though.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I do see a difference between the CADs and the ring. In the CAD, the prongs for the halo stones are spaced apart from each other more, at the outer and inner edge, while in the actual ring they come much closer to each other. I think the stones are placed the same in both versions, but with the prongs reaching in towards each other more in the actual ring they occlude the center points of the stones more so it visually breaks up the pattern of the diamonds with the contrasting color. It might be worth pointing this difference out and seeing if a change could be made to have those prongs not reach towards the center of the halo as much.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do see a difference between the CADs and the ring. In the CAD, the prongs for the halo stones are spaced apart from each other more, at the outer and inner edge, while in the actual ring they come much closer to each other. I think the stones are placed the same in both versions, but with the prongs reaching in towards each other more in the actual ring they occlude the center points of the stones more so it visually breaks up the pattern of the diamonds with the contrasting color. It might be worth pointing this difference out and seeing if a change could be made to have those prongs not reach towards the center of the halo as much.

Agreed; also, the overall outline of the halo appears scalloped due to the diamonds in the render, but a hard line of metal in the finished ring, adding even more metal appearance.
52E8C438-C43D-450D-B45F-76DAA527FD97.jpeg

That said - @Sunshine812 - whether you realized it would happen or not, there is bound to be some colored metal visible somewhere when you go with a different colored metal from the diamonds (e.g. rose gold vs white). I think everyone gets that there are things we don’t immediately know our first time ‘going custom’, but that’s not necessarily a vendor’s fault. I sincerely hope you & AV can work something out here, but it seems a bit erratic that you loved the ring, then didn’t, posted the ring for sale in a few places, asked AV for options to remake, but haven’t said it AV has offered any sort of resolution of your concerns. For those reasons, I can see why someone else suggested you might just be experiencing buyer’s remorse. I would suggest holding off on any sale until you hear back from AV on options, share those on here so people can help you understand how it might look/work, THEN decide what you want to do.
Good luck where ever this journey takes you! :wavey:

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
I would say yes, it's a custom setting. It's not an in stock item, like something ordered from Stuller that is a non- special order. It was a design that existed, cads were done and tailored to the stone.

I too think the problem is the rose gold. The metal pops against the stones. I see it on the cad for what it is worth. I'm sorry you are not loving it though. I think it's very pretty.

Thank you for your input and compliment on the ring.
I could see your point ref the custom setting.
I’m definitely learning more and more...

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
Agreed; also, the overall outline of the halo appears scalloped due to the diamonds in the render, but a hard line of metal in the finished ring, adding even more metal appearance.

That said - @Sunshine812 - whether you realized it would happen or not, there is bound to be some colored metal visible somewhere when you go with a different colored metal from the diamonds (e.g. rose gold vs white). I think everyone gets that there are things we don’t immediately know our first time ‘going custom’, but that’s not necessarily a vendor’s fault. I sincerely hope you & AV can work something out here, but it seems a bit erratic that you loved the ring, then didn’t, posted the ring for sale in a few places, asked AV for options to remake, but haven’t said it AV has offered any sort of resolution of your concerns. For those reasons, I can see why someone else suggested you might just be experiencing buyer’s remorse. I would suggest holding off on any sale until you hear back from AV on options, share those on here so people can help you understand how it might look/work, THEN decide what you want to do.

Wow, thank you so much for your sharp eye and providing me that perfect diagram, I too agree with you and with @josieKat
Because I am soooo new I do appreciate your expertise and advise.
I guess this is why this is weighing on me is that I wanted so badly to have the CAD ring, since I was told it was a CAD of exactly what I asked for, Rose Gold, size 6 finger, 1.51ct Elyque, halo with chunky diamonds. I thought that’s why CADs are used, to show you exactly what you’d get...
I’m so glad you put them (the actual ring and the CAD) together and described what you saw. I didn’t know how to explain it as well as you did. I see all your points and totally agree. One question, do you also see a difference in the shank between the two?
Yes, although I said I loved it, it was my fault, I admit that. I was hoping it would grow on me and who am I to question an expert?
I will definitely take your advice and keep all of you up to date.
You’re the best, have a great day. =)2

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
^ Maybe she loved it initally but as the days went by she couldn't convince herself that she was okay with the metal prongs? Sometimes we get so overwhelmed at first that we don't see the small things/details.
Not op just guessing though.

You are exactly right! I tried. I wanted to be as excited as Jonathan was. And being new, I couldn’t tell what it was, just that it wasn’t the CAD.
Thank you

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock

I’m sorry for not answering back to you when you explained it perfectly! I’m so thankful that you expressed it in a way for me to understand. I agree totally. I would say that the 4 prongs are different as well, on actual ring they are more rounded, and thicker, while the CAD looks like thinner, maybe a tiger claw? The Scalloped effect was perfect, that’s why I was drawn to the setting originally. I see that you mentioned the stones are placed the same in both versions, but it must be size of diamonds that are different to get those prongs in between each diamond. Hmmm.
I’m not too sure, but do you think the shank might be off as well, the CAD looks like you can see metal while the actual ring you can’t. Could it be the difference between like pave compared to ?
If you looked at the CAD and agreed on the CAD and received the actual ring, would you have settled or said something? I guess each individual is different. I guess I thought that if I spent money on an actual natural diamond, that it would be perfect. But then again, I changed to color of metal. If I get the opportunity to have it fixed, the halo should be in WG or Platinum.
You hit the nail on the head and for that I’m so appreciative, but better than that, my hubby thanks you!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

This. :) I just returned from vacation and am back to take care of things. I was looking exactly for these two graphics to compare @the_mother_thing I see it and we'll remake. When I first got the ring it looked so amazingly awesome. I had also sent pix before we shipped and it really was just so beautiful. After I had sent to @Sunshine812 and she wrote about how much she loved it I thought we were all on the same page. I do see the prongs slightly more towards the outside though and if that detail is making sunshine so unhappy, I'm happy to take care of it. :))

All the best,
Rhino

headlight

Ideal_Rock
That is tremendous of @Rhino - as I expected! I just want to make sure that @Sunshine812 is going to be happy with the metal difference when you see the continuity of a white metal versus the contrast of the rose gold. If you aren’t a million percent certain, this is the time to make that determination!!!

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
That is tremendous of @Rhino - as I expected! I just want to make sure that @Sunshine812 is going to be happy with the metal difference when you see the continuity of a white metal versus the contrast of the rose gold. If you aren’t a million percent certain, this is the time to make that determination!!!

Yes it is! :appl:
I’m very happy, and because of all these opinions/comments now, I will pay more attention. Thank you

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW to my reading Rhino is offering to fix the prongs; he did not state that he would be remaking the ring...

OP, prior to any work commencing, to be sure you both are on the same page, I suggest in your forthcoming private emails with Rhino you clarify with him what exactly he is proposing to do and how he expects it will address your issues with the ring.

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock
I want to thank all of you for providing your thoughts and opinions, this really helped me and opened my eyes, I realize now how much I need to pay attention!
I also want to thank @Rhino for offering to remake my ring.
Pictures will be posted...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results