shape
carat
color
clarity

Automatic car washes

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Do you prefer Soft Touch (with the big soapy pompon things) or the Touchless variety? Why? Also, what level of wash do you usually choose?

I'm in Oklahoma dust is my usual enemy. With this, I usually choose the Soft Touch and the cheapest wash ($6). Today I couldn't stand it anymore and pulled into the car wash. Hubby had taken the car on a 1400 round trip jaunt and it was covered with bug splat, tire well junk, and some bird poop as the frosting on the cake. I had asked him to wash it, but he "hadn't gotten around to it yet." :evil: So I gave the guy $9 to have the full monty. Car looks good, but it got me wondering what others do.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable|1314722691|3005449 said:
Do you prefer Soft Touch (with the big soapy pompon things) or the Touchless variety? Why? Also, what level of wash do you usually choose?

I'm in Oklahoma dust is my usual enemy. With this, I usually choose the Soft Touch and the cheapest wash ($6). Today I couldn't stand it anymore and pulled into the car wash. Hubby had taken the car on a 1400 round trip jaunt and it was covered with bug splat, tire well junk, and some bird poop as the frosting on the cake. I had asked him to wash it, but he "hadn't gotten around to it yet." :evil: So I gave the guy $9 to have the full monty. Car looks good, but it got me wondering what others do.

I do the Soft Touch... Fast and cheap!!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Touchless!

I was told that the one with the pom-poms or the ones that do touch your car ruins your paint over time. Don't know how or if it is true but I just go for either the touchless or the hand car wash. I usually just get the exterior unless the interior needs some touching up. I just got a new car a month ago and my dealer told me touchless car wash only....who knows? :confused:

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I don't use automatic car washes for two reasons. First, the huge spinning brushes coming right at me scares the living daylights out of me. Second, I had a car scratched along the hood by an automatically car wash. Second reason supports reason one. It got too close for comfort. Instead I use the bays where you put in your quarters and do it yourself. Usually costs $3 to $4 in quarters

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate Touchless! Hate!!!!

I go through the old school wash with the long red belts and brushes. Nothing gets my Jeep cleaner, not even when I wash it by hand. It's $8-9 and I go through maybe 6 times a year. Is it bad for my paint? Eh, probably. But it's a 2002 SUV, not a delicate baby. I have a brother who has painted cars professionally, done boat loads of body work, etc. so not too worried about a little paint scuffing. Taking it off road through brush and small trees likely does more damage than the car wash. :bigsmile:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My neighbor has a car wash bay as part of his extended garage. He restores vehicles and anytime I need a wash I go over there to hand wash (water is recycled into the system) and I can do an undercarriage wash there (great in the winter to get rid of salt) and get my engine steam cleaned as well. If I bring him a nice bottle of wine or cookies he will personally wax my car for me.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
soocool|1314726133|3005511 said:
My neighbor has a car wash bay as part of his extended garage. He restores vehicles and anytime I need a wash I go over there to hand wash (water is recycled into the system) and I can do an undercarriage wash there (great in the winter to get rid of salt) and get my engine steam cleaned as well. If I bring him a nice bottle of wine or cookies he will personally wax my car for me.

Hey, tell him I'll be a customer too :)

I can't find any decent hand car washes in our area.....one is right in Newtown but they charge 40$!!! The other is in Richboro but they don't do so great of a job...

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1314725943|3005509 said:

I go through the old school wash with the long red belts and brushes. Nothing gets my Jeep cleaner, not even when I wash it by hand. It's $8-9 and I go through maybe 6 times a year. Is it bad for my paint? Eh, probably. But it's a 2002 SUV, not a delicate baby. I have a brother who has painted cars professionally, done boat loads of body work, etc. so not too worried about a little paint scuffing. Taking it off road through brush and small trees likely does more damage than the car wash. :bigsmile:

I baby my car like its nobodies business. My other car could have taken anything on...not this one. Plus, it doesn't help that I have OCD over the car now and that I chose black....a color that needs constant washing...GAH.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1314726353|3005519 said:

I baby my car like its nobodies business. My other car could have taken anything on...not this one. Plus, it doesn't help that I have OCD over the car now and that I chose black....a color that needs constant washing...GAH.

I do wipe down all the pretty chrome by hand...it looks awful if it's not spotless because it's all over the damn thing. The interior gets babied because the previous owners put a lot into upkeep (it's completely leather and suede wrapped) and the carpet is black so it shows every dog hair and piece of lint. I hate getting into someone's car and it's filthy so I've always kept mine very clean. I used to have a friend who threw her empty water bottles in the back of her old car. She got a nice new car and same habit. It was disgusting.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Touchless all the way!

AN, what kind of car did you get? You wanted an Audi right?

charbie

Ideal_Rock
We also take our cars to the car wash bay where you wash it yourself. Costs a couple bucks, and DH and I have gotten it down to a science and can crank out a clean car super fast :)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
lizzyann|1314731693|3005586 said:
Touchless all the way!

AN, what kind of car did you get? You wanted an Audi right?

Lizzy! How are you?!

You have great memory. I did get an Audi...I originally wanted the Q7 SUV after I graduated from nursing school but I decided to get a sporty sedan instead (the A7). I came to the conclusion that I can go for the Q7 when I have kids someday and need a bigger car. I didn't wait till I finished school because a friend of ours who is an Audi dealer was offering us a decent price on the lease so we just went for it! I really love it.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1314727022|3005529 said:
Autumnovember|1314726353|3005519 said:

I do wipe down all the pretty chrome by hand...it looks awful if it's not spotless because it's all over the damn thing. The interior gets babied because the previous owners put a lot into upkeep (it's completely leather and suede wrapped) and the carpet is black so it shows every dog hair and piece of lint. I hate getting into someone's car and it's filthy so I've always kept mine very clean. I used to have a friend who threw her empty water bottles in the back of her old car. She got a nice new car and same habit. It was disgusting.

I won't lie...my old car used to be a disaster. Pretty embarrassing. I can't believe I treated my car that way. I took good care of it for the first few years that I had it and then after my car accident the car was never the same. I would start hearing new noises every other month and it progressively became more and more ans I stopped caring for the car altogether. I still feel guilty about it. Before trading it in, I had a long 'talk' with my old car and told her I was sorry. I'm not coo-coo or anything.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results