shape
carat
color
clarity

Australian opals and salt

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I’ve got my first opal pieces: some cartilage earrings from Maria Tash.
I’ve been soaking my ear in salt water daily to relieve pressure of new piercings.
I remembered opals have water in them and decided to look into them.

Most info on opals seems to be combined of all types of opals. What I read is Australian opals are the hardest of the opals and actually not porous???

So will Epsom salt soaks hurt them?

I did see some Ethiopian opals lose their flash due to mishandling. Is this also a risk with Australian opals???

I had one piece I soaked daily before it dawned on me to ask. I’ve removed it but added a larger flower. The other piece is fine thus far. It’s been out of my ear a few days in the box and still looks new…. but I dont want to damage my flower.
Sometimes I have to treat that ear but removing the top adds to irritation

Any advice is appreciated it’s the left pic front flower: opal cabochons

9C8FFED3-6775-4C44-86D3-8FFE104AE6DB.jpeg

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock

Thank you!
And I’ve been reading now:

Maria Tash said salt water won’t hurt any stones.

An Australian opal site said u can swim in the ocean with them.

Other generic opal sites say salt will damage them.

They are natural not synthetic

I do always wash all stones with hot water and a tad of soap after an Epsom salt soak.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely ears and earrings -- but the way those photos are montaged is gonna give me nightmares!

DD wears an opal stud cartilage piercing (IIRC) and among many others and I don't think she gives it a second thought (swimmer, outdoor adventurer). It is only ~ 2mm so not even sure you'd see an effect if there were one.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s really only Ethiopian Opals that you have to avoid liquids, especially perfumes, oils and lotions. They will absorb liquid and while water will dissipate out over a few days, oils and lotions are likely to permanently affect the colour play. Limited water is fine ie caught in the rain or splashes in the bath or shower but swimming in them is best avoided.
Australian opals do not absorb liquids however they can develop cracks or crazing if left in very dry and hot environments for long periods of time.
The main enemy of opals is when worn in rings. They are soft so will abrade over time and are likely to chip if whacked against something hard. Opal rings are best kept for special occasions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results