shape
carat
color
clarity

Australian Opal pendant

MazelTov2

Rough_Rock
Here is the picture I promised in my last/first posting. The dealer noted on the receipt when I purchased it at a recent gem show that it is a 14.40-carat solid crystal opal and its origin is the Lightning Ridge mine in Australia. He also said that this particiular mine was known for its black opals, so this find was unusual. The colors are amazing and can be seen from any angle.

What do you think?

001.JPG

007.JPG

022.JPG

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I can't provide any expert advice, but I can say it's beautiful. Wear it in good health!

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny, I didn't really care for it the first time I saw it over on another forum. But now that you are back here posting under a fictitious name, pretending to be someone you're not, I'll tell you that it doesn't look Australian to me, it looks like Welo. Your setting style is particularly unique, Steve, as you set them exactly the same way each and every time you set a stone.

I'm happy if the moderators are allowing you back, but would prefer if you posted as who you are. :))

MazelTov2

Rough_Rock
The very reputable dealer who sold us the opal stated unequivicably that it is a Lightning Ridge Australian piece. He purchased it at the mine itself, I believe. He had a choice of several large opals and picked this one first because of the bright, multi-colored pattern that is visible from all angles. He had some Ethiopian pieces when we made our purchase, and there was quite a difference, particularly in the intensity of color and clarity of the material itself.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks kind of Wello to me too, gotta admit.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that it looks like Wello material to me too. Is there some way for the labs to determine origin?

MazelTov2

Rough_Rock
While I feel that everyone is entitled to an opinion...about anything, with regard to the origin of the 14 1/2 carat opal pendant I posted yesterday, I see no further need for validation when the dealer/gemologist/cutter/jeweler who sold it to us bought it at the Lightning Ridge Mines in Australia...from one of the mine owners. I can't see what possible reason the seller would have had for presenting Ethiopian Opal as Australian, can you? Since its purchase, the stone has also been inspected by two other gemologists who verified that the formation of the silica spheres within the stone identify it conclusively as Australian material. Apparently, the formation of the spheres in Ethiopian material is more scattered. With these reports, I truly can see no need to spend more money to have someone else tell us the same thing. I think that problem lies with the fact that you are looking at photos, which had they been taken with a better camera would probably show you more of the colors as seen by the naked eye. If you wish to go on discussing the origin of the opal, be my guest. I just wanted to show you the stone and get your comments...which I have. As my final ccontribution, I offer photos of the stone prior to mounting, so you can see the play of color from all angles. Thank you for taking the time to look. :)

Leslie

003.JPG

004.JPG

008.JPG

006.JPG

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Leslie,

I'd guess one reason someone may want to represent an Ethiopian opal as an Australian opal is because Australian material is more expensive. At least that's my impression. But all that is really beside the point if you love the stone. And if it's been verified, then our guesses don't really matter ;)) It certainly looks like it has nice fire, and a nice shape too! Enjoy it.

MazelTov2

Rough_Rock
Sorry...that question wasn't put very well. Of course anything can be misrepresented; however, if an Australian mine owner in Lightning Ridge intends to sell more than once to a gemologist/dealer in the US who has been in the business for years and has a sterling reputation, he's not going to invite that prospective buyer to the mine to sell him stones from any other source.

Thank you for your good wishes. We are indeed enjoying the stone.

Leslie

bobsiv

Rough_Rock
Trade
Beautiful stone, but definitely looks like Welo. Is it hydrophane?

MazelTov2

Rough_Rock
The stone is definitely NOT hydrophane and while it may resemble the Wello material...it has been confirmed as Australian...from the Lightning Ride mine near Melbourne. The dealer was also the cutter of the opal. He bought it originally in matrix and did NOT have to submerge it in water for the colors to show. It is completey untreated.

Leslie

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
MazelTov2|1339421351|3213693 said:
The stone is definitely NOT hydrophane and while it may resemble the Wello material...it has been confirmed as Australian...from the Lightning Ride mine near Melbourne. The dealer was also the cutter of the opal. He bought it originally in matrix and did NOT have to submerge it in water for the colors to show. It is completey untreated.

Leslie

Leslie, without trying to cast doubt or presume the origin of your opal, the opposite is actually true of hydrophane opals - when they absorb liquid, they lose their color and can turn transparent. The phenomenon is typically reversed after drying out, which can take up to a couple weeks, depending on conditions. In addition to direct water contact, I've also heard of very humid conditions altering color play.

Sometimes a member will post a gem so luscious that others will respond that they want to lick it. It's generally considered a compliment, but on another forum, it was reported that licking an opal resulted in the stone sticking to his tongue like a frozen pipe in winter. So, no licking the opals everyone! :lol:

MazelTov2

Rough_Rock
Acccording to the Ethiopia Opal website, Hydrophane, which includes MOST Ethiopian material loses its color when it dries out and retains it for varying periods of time according to the amount of humidity in the atmosphere. The fire and color in the piece pictured in my posting has not lost any color since we purchased it, though it's been worn everyday since it was mounted about two weeks ago. Maryland in the summer is incredibly hot and humid and it's in the 90s even as I write. The stone, which is Australian crystal opal continues to show amazing fire and color no matter the temperature or humidity. The dealer from whom we purchased it lives in Philadelphia, and he's had it out in the air and in dry air conditioning for at least 3 years. Don't think we have to worry about the color disappearing...or even fading. Everyone in the jewelry/gemstone business to whom we have shown the piece has found it to be an incredible example of Australian crystal opal.

Leslie

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
MazelTov2|1339435706|3213870 said:
Acccording to the Ethiopia Opal website, Hydrophane, which includes MOST Ethiopian material loses its color when it dries out and retains it for varying periods of time according to the amount of humidity in the atmosphere. The fire and color in the piece pictured in my posting has not lost any color since we purchased it, though it's been worn everyday since it was mounted about two weeks ago. Maryland in the summer is incredibly hot and humid and it's in the 90s even as I write. The stone, which is Australian crystal opal continues to show amazing fire and color no matter the temperature or humidity. The dealer from whom we purchased it lives in Philadelphia, and he's had it out in the air and in dry air conditioning for at least 3 years. Don't think we have to worry about the color disappearing...or even fading. Everyone in the jewelry/gemstone business to whom we have shown the piece has found it to be an incredible example of Australian crystal opal.

Leslie

Hmmm, maybe we're talking about two different types of 'drying out'. I have heard of opals losing color when they dry out to the point of cracking, but that's different than a transparent, soaked hydrophane opal returning to its normal state of color. Nothing I've read specifically about hydrophanes supports your statement, but perhaps more research is needed. Regardless, your pendant setting should offer some protection, and even if it is Ethopian, unless you're sweating profusely enough to drench your stone (which I don't really want to know about), I wouldn't expect the opal to lose color. As far as I know, temperature is irrelevant except in the case of sudden change, which can cause an opal to fracture.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results