shape
carat
color
clarity

Australian members - insurance for loose stone in USA?

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
I found a stone I like from adiamor and a setting from whiteflash, I would like whiteflash to set it as I believe their prong work would exceed a local jewellers, however they need the stone to be insured, and I can't get insurance through jewellers mutual as I am not American. Any insurance companies that will do it for a decent price? I have googled and not found anything. I called one jewellery insurance company here and they said they don't insure loose diamonds and are underwritten by CHUBB and they don't believe anyone will be able to insure it for me. If I can't get around this situation and get it set by whiteflash I'll get it set here but it is not my preferred option so I thought I'd ask as I know there is at least a couple of Australians here.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey mate - tough one - and lots of risk doing it this way.
Insurance companies are tough enough on those of us that ship stones every day - i think you might be struggling to find one that will cover you for a one off personal shipment.
Options:
- You might want to speak with the courier company that you're thinking of using to see what they say (fedex/toll/etc) as they have their own coverage that you might fall under (however if they know it's a diamond/jewellery they may not take the risk).
- If i'm reading your post correctly, if you can't get it set in the US you're thinking of getting the stone from one place, the ring from another, and having it set here? My only advice on that is to make sure you have someone lined up to do the setting BEFORE you get everything sent over here. Most jewellers won't touch someone else's stone, never mind both the stone and ring - - there is WAY too much risk and no reward to do something like that. You don't want to get everything over here and then have now way to set it.
- If you're thinking of just having the stone sent over, but you don't think your local jeweller can do it, just shop around - - there are plenty of locals with skill that could make the ring and set the stone for you.
- Also, be aware of the extra duties/taxes that you may have to pay when the goods enter the country - there are different rules for loose diamonds than there are for jewellery that is already set - - - make sure you check this out as they can be quite significant additional costs and you don't want any surprises.
Good luck with it - hope this helps

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your reply. I've had no luck as you predicted. I did get quotes here originally and they were all 2 grand for a simple solitaire. One of them seemed quite angry with me for buying an 'Internet diamond' of which he could not confirm the quality and said to circumvent risk the price would be substantially higher for a ring only, and that the Vatche setting was flimsy and would not last and he would only make it if he could make something similiar if it was substantially heftier. Was very disheartening. I think I'll have to get the diamond set here into the ring purchased separately and sent here. Which is risky in itself as I spoke to a couple of jewellers and they said they decide to do this on a case by case basis, ie if it looks too risky they'll say no. So frustrating. I don't know if the courier company would be an option as Adiamor and then the ring maker is the one with the relationship with them, not me.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sorry to hear that this has been a frustrating process for you - it's a shame as this should be a great experience and an enjoyable time for you.
Let me know if I can be of anymore assistance, or if you have any questions that I might be able to answer.
Cheers

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results