shape
carat
color
clarity

Australia PSers Buying Overseas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I recently bought some gorgous diamond studs from Whiteflash (I promise I will post ear pics soon) and was quite surprised with the amount of duty etc I had to pay. I knew I would have to pay 15% GST but also got slugged $123 custom duty, 43.00 Import Dec and 14.00 Entry charge air.
I am considering getting my upgrade stone from a pricecope vendor and I wonder what has been the duty on your loose stones?
If it was over $400 for something that cost about $2400 I need to know and budget for my upgrade diamond that will be substanially more.
Thanks

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Katebar,

15% gst? Hmm I''ve never had to pay 15% - GST is only 10%.

On loose stones, I''ve only ever paid 10% GST plus customs handling charges (around AUD$50).

For jewelry pieces like earrings, necklaces, rings and bracelets, I''ve to go and dig out the customs paperwork. I remember paying a nominal duty, but don''t think it''s to the order of hundreds of dollars. I''ll update when I find the paperwork!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for that Jadeleaves I was hoping you would pipe up as I know you have bought the odd bit of bling! The 15% is 10% + 5% forthe setting apparantly. The guy from Fedex that rang was in the Phillipines I think so there was not use asking him why I had to pay what I did.
Anyhoo thanks for taking the time to look
1.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome!

Ok I found paperwork for different pieces of jewelry.

There's one package which was around USD$1000, and no customs duties was charged on that, only GST was charged, plus normal customs handling charges (AUD$40.38)

Another package for jewelry was valued at around USD$3200, and we got hit by duties bad for this one
2.gif
, so I was wrong earlier on
3.gif

Duties on this package was AUD$212, plus import air charge for goods valued >$1000 totalling AUD$30.10, AQIS entry charges AIR AUD$14.00, plus 10% gst. So for a package worth USD$3200, I had to pay gst and duties totalling $707.67. That was when the exchange rate was 0.7382 USD to a dollar aussie.

Hope that helped!

ETA: You can get the vendor you buy your diamond from to list the diamond separately from the setting, as duties are only charged on the setting, not diamonds. I had that done for my 2ct EC, so I didn't have to pay tax on the setting as I think you are allowed up to $1000.00 for taxable items before getting taxed.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Dang! I wish I knew about the seperate setting listing before I bought my earrings. Never mind. It seems that the actaul customs duty might be the thing one can''t predict. The Import dec was $40.00 the same as yours as was the Entry charge of $14.00. I have emailed customs about loose diamonds but as yet nothing.
Thanks again Jadeleaves
1.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh for earrings I don't think WF could have done anything about separating the diamonds from the setting unless the diamonds are certified stones.

I know because hubby bought me a pair of Expert selection earrings from WF and I asked if they could do that, and the answer was not unless the stones are certified. I think it's something to do with insurance.

There is definitely no custom duties on loose diamonds - only GST & handling charges. I'm sure there is a formula they use to calcuate custom duties on jewelry though, so it might be an idea to find out what that figure is
2.gif

Good luck!

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
Same here, only paid GST & handling charges, no duty on loose stones.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Cmelb do you mind me asking how much the handling fee was?
Jadeleaves sorry I missed understood you. I just bought some expert selection earrings to and I love them to bits! Now I just have to wear them all the time as my 14 year old daughter thinks what''s mine is hers and is eyeing them big time!

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
I was charged Import Air Charge (Goods Value >$1000) $40.20 + AQIS - Entry Charges Air $14.00

Total $54.20 AUD

I paid no Duty as it was a loose diamond, just the 10% GST

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks cmelb that is what I and Jadeleaves paid + I paid an extra $123

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
katebar,

I am so sorry - I just noticed that you asked me a question back in march in an old thread of mine about duties. I had really bad morning sickness then and didn''t come online as often then.

Hope I''ve helped you with your queries today!

What sort of stone are you looking for now? I am in the process of sending my 1.56rb back to GOG, and am trying to figure out how to avoid paying gst on the entire value of the new stone
7.gif
because it just does not make sense to me to pay gst on the bit that''s the tradeup value
31.gif

Unfortunately, I think I just have to suck it in and pay it
39.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Please Jadeleaves no need to apologise morning sickness can be all consuming. Glad that you are now relishing this special time!
I am looking at upgrading to a 1.3-1.5 round with excellent cut my current stone is 0.9 and ok cut as it was 20 years ago and a h VS2. I am very excited and know that things will work out thanks to my discovery of Pricescope!

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
I live in the UK and bought my upgrade from the US. Before I bought my ring, I rang the customs and excise people to ask them what charges I would be liable for?

That way there were no big suprises when my parcel entered the UK
6.gif

blod

BTW...even with all the duty charges etc...I still think I got great value for money!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results