shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage 'Star' Diamonds

Scotty2h

Rough_Rock
Greetings,

Currently shopping for an engagement ring and had decided on the August Vintage line of chunky cushions. I was just waiting to find the right one when GOG updated their website and I noticed a new August Vintage line called the 'Star'.

Video comparing original vs new:
http://youtu.be/Y0QcEOByNLk

I just wanted to get some thoughts on the new version. There is obviously a following of the original which lent some comfort to the purchase. The new seems to have little information around.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scotty2h|1417458317|3793337 said:
Greetings,

Currently shopping for an engagement ring and had decided on the August Vintage line of chunky cushions. I was just waiting to find the right one when GOG updated their website and I noticed a new August Vintage line called the 'Star'.

Video comparing original vs new:
http://youtu.be/Y0QcEOByNLk

I just wanted to get some thoughts on the new version. There is obviously a following of the original which lent some comfort to the purchase. The new seems to have little information around.

I would LOVE this in a larger size! Under 1ct-ish I'd probably stick with the classic AVCs, though - the facets are already going to be small just by virtue of stone size, I wouldn't want to break them up further and lose the "chunkiness" this line excels at.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first impression is - I like it! I was never sold on the 4-plane look of the AVC's, especially for larger stones. This looks more like a traditional OEC to me.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for posting! I love the new pattern for larger diamonds. Has a little extra pizazz.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Both are great cuts but I really like the new Star version. For me, I appreciate that the maltese cross/windmills is less pronounced/smaller in the Star version. I really enjoy big, chunky facets (I have several OECs) but I've always struggled with the AVC 'look' with the super noticeable cross under the table.

As Yssie pointed out, the size of stone you're considering could influence which version you prefer. Either way, you'll get great performance from both versions.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video identifies this as a "prototype," but I see that GOG already lists six AV Star diamonds in it inventory.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the "star" AVC is very similar to my AVC (take a look at my avatar) which has the same patterning. My AVC was cut several years ago so it looks different than the traditional AVC's.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
Oooh, I really like these!! I love the chunk of the original, but I agree that the cross facet felt a little "flat" to me, so the extra sparkle that the Star gives is amazing!!

Jon, can you confirm that m2b's diamond is cut in a similar fashion? That way we can look at her photos for more detail of the cut :) Thanks!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I STRONGLY prefer the Star version. I was able to look at the videos and I think the Star is just perfection. It has more life to it and the slightly smaller facets make it dance beautifully. And it avoids the strong maltese cross under the table. This would hands down be my choice if I was shopping for this type of diamond. And, I don't think at one carat the facets would be too small, not for me, but to each his own .

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1417481693|3793583 said:
I STRONGLY prefer the Star version. I was able to look at the videos and I think the Star is just perfection. It has more life to it and the slightly smaller facets make it dance beautifully. And it avoids the strong maltese cross under the table. This would hands down be my choice if I was shopping for this type of diamond. And, I don't think at one carat the facets would be too small, not for me, but to each his own .

+1!!! The Star version is fantastic - I adore the way the light dances around the center & the more subtle cross under the table. I imagine the faceting pattern would translate nicely to a slightly more elongated shape and would love to see that. And, I can't imagine that any AVC or Star would ever be too small for me - all of them are just stunning :)

Scotty2h

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! A lot more responses than I had expected. I like them both, but to be honest, I'm not much of a diamond guy so I thought perhaps it's just an 'oooo shiny' response. Glad to know others like them.

Appreciate the input.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
I love both, but I'm leaning more towards the new version because it has less of a "cross".

But then again, I wouldn't say "no" to either of them. :naughty:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I want a flower!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1417458963|3793345 said:
My first impression is - I like it! I was never sold on the 4-plane look of the AVC's, especially for larger stones. This looks more like a traditional OEC to me.

Ditto. I wouldn't throw either of them into a river, but I really like that Star! :love:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is very pretty and would love to see it IRL to compare. My gut says better for larger cushions . Iy is a different look and it would be a matter of preference.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Wow, the star version looks great!

I have an original AVC, but I think I'd be just as happy with the star version, and might upgrade to a star AVC eventually.

Both have their charms :)

2kindsofavc.png

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE LOVE LOVE :love: :love: :love:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I love it!! Reminds me more of my antique cushion.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1417498446.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1417498493.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1417498514.jpg

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
@pandabee - gorgeous!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

As for the Star cut, I'm dealing with some cognitive dissonance here. When I think of AVCs, my mind's eye looks for that big bold pastel Maltese cross. That being said, the star faceting is lovely, very much so. I guess I have to see them in person. :pray: :pray: :pray:

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Pandabee- your cushion is GORGEOUS!!! :love:

I think the 'star' cushion is beautiful. M-2-B I do see the similarity to your AVC, a lot! The performance is there, for sure- the video was cool.

I would love either of these, I think it is nice for people to have the options. I think a 'flower' option, next, too, for Charmy.

For my personal taste, the original has that 'old miner' flavor that really hits my sweet spot. If I had the time and money to make a hobby of looking for my shangra-la of antique cushions, mine would be very much like the original AVC, with a cross/windmill pattern.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loving the new "Star" version! (actually better than the AVCs). Maybe they should name them "September Vintage Cushions" since
they came out after the August version :tongue: !

Great looking cut! I think they will be very successful!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an AVC but the Star appeals to me more...maybe it's time for an upgrade. :devil: :bigsmile:

Pretty_Shiny_Things

Rough_Rock
Omigooodness! LOVE :lickout: LOVE :love: LOVE :clap: the new star! I originally wanted an AVC (and its look-a-like) for my e-ring, but thought the Maltese cross had a much too strong presence. It's so much softer now and and the contrast is amazeballs! If only I had waited! It's definitely going on my short list! :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results