• Culet

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • No culet

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hoover

Shiny_Rock
I was looking at the AVRs on the GOG site again and am trying to decide whether i like them better with the culet or without. Looking at the ones with the culet, i'm like a bug to a blue light/deer in the headlights.... I can't help but stare into the center of the stone... With the pictures of the AVRs without the culet I tend to look at more of the diamond.. Weird? But that's just my reaction with pictures, though. For people who own or have seen the AVRs in person, what do you think?

I know it's a matter of personal preference and individual tastes, but which do you prefer?

Culet?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8849/

or no culet?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7493/

These aren't the stones that I'm considering, but I just thought that the pictures best illustrate the differences...

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
I voted with culet. I simply like the facet pattern better on any of their AVR's with an open culet. I have never owned an AVR, but have owned a couple of OEC's with medium to large culets and you don't really see them IRL, but when you do catch a glimpse, it's really cool. :love:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparklyOEC|1336277288|3188455 said:
I voted with culet. I simply like the facet pattern better on any of their AVR's with an open culet. I have never owned an AVR, but have owned a couple of OEC's with medium to large culets and you don't really see them IRL, but when you do catch a glimpse, it's really cool. :love:

+1 here!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them both ways. If they had a diamond I wanted with the pointed culet, then I would send for it to look at and if I loved it as is, I might leave it alone. But if I thought it would be enhanced with the culet facet, then I would send it back and have Jon send it to have the facet cut.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted with culet. I think the flower facet pattern is highlighted more with a culet. It is an N vs the L -you don't have issues with colour? Is this the same stone that Catia was looking at? Have you seen her reviews on it -she wrote lots of details! (if its the same one...)

D

Deactivated member 42515

I'm glad that you started this thread Hoover. All of Friday and Saturday I researched like a mad woman on whether or not I want a culet. I'm sure that do, but I don't think I want the kozibe effect with the AVR. Do you know if you would get that with the August vintage? I was getting different responses when I looked it up yesterday. I did email Matt and Jon about my diamond and asked them but I emailed them Saturday night and they are closed Sunday and Monday and I am impatient.

Sorry to threadjack, (I should make my own, sorry Hoover!) I was also wondering if people can actually see a medium to large culet in maybe a 1.6-1.7ct with the naked eye.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my experience you can't see a culet unless the stone is very large and/or the culet is very large. I bet you can't see the culets in AVRs with the naked eye.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
YayTacori|1336314813|3188618 said:
I'm glad that you started this thread Hoover. All of Friday and Saturday I researched like a mad woman on whether or not I want a culet. I'm sure that do, but I don't think I want the kozibe effect with the AVR. Do you know if you would get that with the August vintage? I was getting different responses when I looked it up yesterday. I did email Matt and Jon about my diamond and asked them but I emailed them Saturday night and they are closed Sunday and Monday and I am impatient.

Sorry to threadjack, (I should make my own, sorry Hoover!) I was also wondering if people can actually see a medium to large culet in maybe a 1.6-1.7ct with the naked eye.

I don't think you would see a culet unless you look about 3-4 inches a away. You would need to ask Jon, but I don't think AVRs will show kozibe as a rule, that seems to happen in older style OECs, the type with really really high crowns, teensy tables, and greater depth, and AVRs don't have those properties as a rule. Kozibe is something I associate more with antique cushions and cushiony OECs.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the cutlet. If I were purchasing a stone cut to look like an old cut I'd want it to have all the unique characteristics of an old cut. I also agree with dreamer that your aren't likely to see the cutlet with the named eye. They are beautifully cut diamonds, cant wait to see what you decide.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I vote culet. I think like it gives new antique style diamonds an authentic feel. I love the AVR line, but to me, the AVRs without culets don't have that true vintage feel. it isn't that noticeable in real life, but it is an awesome when you get a glimpse.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock

The 1.79 OEC that I used to own had a medium culet, and I didn't see it. I also had a 1.30 OEC at one time with a very large culet and i only saw it every now and then IRL, but mostly I saw it in pics.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an OEC with large culet, and a smaller OEC/Tranny with no culet, and I much prefer the look of the smaller stone - I find I do notice open culets and, for me, they interrupt the flow of facet patterns. Of course, many other people love open culets and particularly desire them in the antique/antique-style cuts. I would suggest trying to see them both in person - that's the best way to get *your* answer - or maybe Jon would do a video comparison for you focusing more on hand-shots at arms' length and close-up in the various lighting so you can get a feel for what your eyes notice?

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Christina - I'm pretty sure that was Catia's AVR... But it's not what I'm getting... I just put in the linkies for reference. My budget is smaller because I keep getting distracted from my goal with other things :oops: (bought new earrings)

YayTacori - no worries! We're here to learn. I'm sure we're both wondering about the same things but just haven't put it out there :)

I thought it was just me that thought the flower pattern seemed more "crisp" with the culet. It's good to hear that the culet isn't that visible IRL. I wasn't sure if I wanted to see that "tunnel" all the time.

Thank you for playing Dreamer D, Bright Ice, Christina, SparklyOEC, Armywife13, YayTacori, Diamondseeker, Enerchi, Marymm :D

kefira

Shiny_Rock
I voted no culet. Although I usually prefer a culet, of these 2 particular stones, the no culet one is my preference. Just my 2 cents. =)

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

I remember one thread where Jon was commenting on the open culet and he stated that it is not that noticeable...it is like an after thought when noticed...oh, it has a culet facet...

There is a thread on the Kozibe effect that was interesting...will find it again and post it....I like it on OMB and on OEC's too. I was wondering if the quality of cut lends itself to producing the Kozibe effect and found this:

"The reflections of the culet occur when crown and
pavilion facets are both steep. The same proportions
produce fire
....Pairs of culet reflections on crown facets form when
light bounces off the center of the pavilion into the crown facets. The
reflection of the culet appears dark because light does not reflect back
from it but passes through."

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/modern-cushion-vs-antique-cushion.23890/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/modern-cushion-vs-antique-cushion.23890/page-2[/URL]

Hoover I will take an AVR whichever way I can get it....LOL culet or no culet matters not to me, although I do think the kozibe effect is really cool...so I guess my preference is WITH CULET. I never seem to notice the culets in any of Jon's videos though now that I think about it...interesting.

D

Deactivated member 42515

ariel144|1336347122|3188912 said:

I remember one thread where Jon was commenting on the open culet and he stated that it is not that noticeable...it is like an after thought when noticed...oh, it has a culet facet...

There is a thread on the Kozibe effect that was interesting...will find it again and post it....I like it on OMB and on OEC's too. I was wondering if the quality of cut lends itself to producing the Kozibe effect and found this:

"The reflections of the culet occur when crown and
pavilion facets are both steep. The same proportions
produce fire
....Pairs of culet reflections on crown facets form when
light bounces off the center of the pavilion into the crown facets. The
reflection of the culet appears dark because light does not reflect back
from it but passes through."

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/modern-cushion-vs-antique-cushion.23890/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/modern-cushion-vs-antique-cushion.23890/page-2[/URL]

Hoover I will take an AVR whichever way I can get it....LOL culet or no culet matters not to me, although I do think the kozibe effect is really cool...so I guess my preference is WITH CULET. I never seem to notice the culets in any of Jon's videos though now that I think about it...interesting.

I remember that thread too about when Jon was commenting on the culet as an afterthought. I still do want one. It sounds to me the consensus is that AVRs would not have the kozibe effect. This makes me happy :) because I love them in OMBs and OECs but not in my AVR.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the culet is an important part of the vintage look.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, plenty of transitionals have tiny or hard to see culets. So I do not think an AVR has to have one to have a vintage look. Some of the most beautiful diamonds I have seen on here were transitionals, so that is why I am certain I could like the AVR either way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results