shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Cushion + Victor Canera Alaria

kyoung05

Rough_Rock
First, a bit of background. I first came to this forum a few years ago when I was researching diamond studs for my girlfriend's birthday. I learned so much about how to evaluate stones, about how cut is king, and which vendors could be trusted/relied on (i.e. Pricescope vendors). During my preliminary research, I became really intrigued by the modern round brilliant H&A stones - based on what I initially read, it seemed as though that cut was the gold standard for cut. Never having really looked at diamonds in person, I had no frame of reference as to what an ideal-cut stone would look like in person vis-a-vis a non-ideal cut stone. That said, I took a leap of faith and decided to order a set of H&A studs (.25ct, J color, VS2) through Good Old Gold. I knew they would be relatively small in size, but was hoping that they'd be as sparkly as I had hoped based on what I read. When I received them, I was blown away. Even without any frame of reference, I could tell that they were really sparkly. When I gave them to my gf, she loved them.

However, when we started casually discussing what kind of engagement ring she might want down the road, she was a bit hesitant about a round brilliant stone - while there's no disputing that they are timeless/classic, she wanted something a bit different (although she didn't know quite what). So, I started doing a bit more research on Pricescope, and came across the August Vintage Cushion stones from Good Old Gold. The idea of a vintage-cut stone with modern ideal optics was very intriguing. Also, having already bought the studs through them (and it was a great experience), I felt really comfortable dealing with them again. I thought this might be exactly what my gf might've been referring to, so I showed her some of the videos that Jonathan had posted, and she was hooked. As for the setting, she wanted something that was a "blend" of modern/vintage - kind of like the AVC - but, again, didn't have anything particular in mind.

So, now that I knew that the center stone had to be an AVC, it was just a matter of finding the perfect setting and saving enough to get what she wanted. In the meantime, I was researching potential settings. I wanted something that was a bit different - maybe double-claw prongs - probably pave. As I was researching, I kept coming across Victor Canera, and the more I looked at his work, and read about others' experience with him, the more I leaned towards working with him. However, I had a pretty firm budget in mind, and wanted to spend the bulk of it on the stone (naturally), and, by this time, I already had the particular stone in mind. I emailed Victor for some quotes based on settings I saw on his website, and, at first, was a bit disappointed that most of what I liked was out of budget. However, after discussing a few details, I decided that I'd be willing to go over budget to get the setting I wanted.

The folks at Good Old Gold were a pleasure to work with. They answered all my questions, and the video they made helped me to narrow down the stone. So, without further ado, here is the stone I chose - it's a 1.09ct L VS2 August Vintage Cushion Diamond (http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8981/).

As for the setting, I told Victor that I was looking for a blend between the Alaria and Collette settings - a non-cathedral, non-split shank band with a single-claw prong basket that sits on top of the shank (so that a flush fitting band would be possible), with pave added to the top cup,and using single-cut melee diamonds. I think it turned out well - here's a pic of the finished ring:

kk.jpg

Victor was fantastic. As others have stated, he was very patient and very accommodating. Moreover, the quality of his work speaks for itself.

And, lastly, here's a YouTube clip of the ring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv8srx676a4&list=UUjKUkZZv7JZaLvAAGWUQBaw&index=1&feature=plcp

I plan on proposing on our 6yr anniversary next month in Carmel. My girlfriend has no idea I've bought the ring, but I hope she likes it. I should have some better pics/hand pics then :)

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor did a beautiful job on your ring! Your soon-to-be fiance will love it--please post handshots once you finally give it to her!

move1986

Shiny_Rock
oh wow... so stunning. she will be very happy when she receives it. really like a guy who did his homework. great job! :D

remember to post hand shots after proposed.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
The ring is gorgeous! She'll love it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent choices of both stone and setting! The ring is gorgeous! :love:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning! Your fiance will love it!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
So beautiful!!!!

She is sure to love it! :appl:

Best of luck with the proposal.

Cachette :))

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous, I love the pave on the basket!

kyoung05

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I cannot emphasize what a lifesaver this forum has been - your collective knowledge has been invaluable!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely beautiful!!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!! I can not wait to see handshots!! Good Luck with the proposal! Hurry back with more pics!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Oh goodness that is absolutely gorgeous!!! Love the little sparkle underneath the main stone. Can't wait to see more pictures, and have fun on your trip!!!

kyoung05

Rough_Rock
So, I proposed this past weekend in Carmel (Pebble Beach, actually) as planned and it went off without a hitch. Here's a picture we took right before the proposal - we were staying at the Inn @ Spanish Bay and we walked down to a cliff overlooking the water before checking-in.

photo_89.jpg

And, as promised, here's a hand shot.

imag0386.jpg

She loves the ring.

Thanks again to everyone for contributing to this forum, and making it the invaluable resource that it is. I don't know what I would have done had I not stumbled across PS during my research! :D

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, congrats! It looks so beautiful on her hand! She must have been thrilled. :)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring!!! Breathtaking - that setting is incredible!!! What a beautiful proposal spot - love the feet pictures :bigsmile:

It looks perfect on her hands - congratulations!!! :appl:

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring!!! So delicate and feminine! :love:

Congratulations on your engagement! Best to you both.

Cachette :))

kyoung05

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the kind words everyone!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Beeeeeauutiful!!!! It looks amazing on her hand! So happy for you guys and congrats to the newly engaged couple!
P.S.- will you tell your fiancé, (isn't it nice to call her that) that I love :love: her nail polish color! Yay!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
It looks beautiful on her hand, good job and congratulations!!!! :)

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous - congrats!!! And beautiful place for a proposal! :)

Tydruk

Rough_Rock
kyoung05|1343021258|3238404 said:
First, a bit of background. I first came to this forum a few years ago when I was researching diamond studs for my girlfriend's birthday. I learned so much about how to evaluate stones, about how cut is king, and which vendors could be trusted/relied on (i.e. Pricescope vendors). During my preliminary research, I became really intrigued by the modern round brilliant H&A stones - based on what I initially read, it seemed as though that cut was the gold standard for cut. Never having really looked at diamonds in person, I had no frame of reference as to what an ideal-cut stone would look like in person vis-a-vis a non-ideal cut stone. That said, I took a leap of faith and decided to order a set of H&A studs (.25ct, J color, VS2) through Good Old Gold. I knew they would be relatively small in size, but was hoping that they'd be as sparkly as I had hoped based on what I read. When I received them, I was blown away. Even without any frame of reference, I could tell that they were really sparkly. When I gave them to my gf, she loved them.

However, when we started casually discussing what kind of engagement ring she might want down the road, she was a bit hesitant about a round brilliant stone - while there's no disputing that they are timeless/classic, she wanted something a bit different (although she didn't know quite what). So, I started doing a bit more research on Pricescope, and came across the August Vintage Cushion stones from Good Old Gold. The idea of a vintage-cut stone with modern ideal optics was very intriguing. Also, having already bought the studs through them (and it was a great experience), I felt really comfortable dealing with them again. I thought this might be exactly what my gf might've been referring to, so I showed her some of the videos that Jonathan had posted, and she was hooked. As for the setting, she wanted something that was a "blend" of modern/vintage - kind of like the AVC - but, again, didn't have anything particular in mind.

So, now that I knew that the center stone had to be an AVC, it was just a matter of finding the perfect setting and saving enough to get what she wanted. In the meantime, I was researching potential settings. I wanted something that was a bit different - maybe double-claw prongs - probably pave. As I was researching, I kept coming across Victor Canera, and the more I looked at his work, and read about others' experience with him, the more I leaned towards working with him. However, I had a pretty firm budget in mind, and wanted to spend the bulk of it on the stone (naturally), and, by this time, I already had the particular stone in mind. I emailed Victor for some quotes based on settings I saw on his website, and, at first, was a bit disappointed that most of what I liked was out of budget. However, after discussing a few details, I decided that I'd be willing to go over budget to get the setting I wanted.

The folks at Good Old Gold were a pleasure to work with. They answered all my questions, and the video they made helped me to narrow down the stone. So, without further ado, here is the stone I chose - it's a 1.09ct L VS2 August Vintage Cushion Diamond (http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8981/).

As for the setting, I told Victor that I was looking for a blend between the Alaria and Collette settings - a non-cathedral, non-split shank band with a single-claw prong basket that sits on top of the shank (so that a flush fitting band would be possible), with pave added to the top cup,and using single-cut melee diamonds. I think it turned out well - here's a pic of the finished ring:

kk.jpg

Victor was fantastic. As others have stated, he was very patient and very accommodating. Moreover, the quality of his work speaks for itself.

And, lastly, here's a YouTube clip of the ring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv8srx676a4&list=UUjKUkZZv7JZaLvAAGWUQBaw&index=1&feature=plcp

I plan on proposing on our 6yr anniversary next month in Carmel. My girlfriend has no idea I've bought the ring, but I hope she likes it. I should have some better pics/hand pics then :)

hi kyoung05,

I really love the engagement ring. Is it possible for you to take some pictures from the side so that I can see the setting.

Thank you

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results