shape
carat
color
clarity

August Vintage Cushion and color

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I’m looking at engagement ring upgrades. i’ve always really loved antique cuts and rose gold. I’m also super picky about symmetry so I think a true antique cut is out for me.

So I’m looking at August vintage cushions in 1.25-1.5 carat range. I would like to set it in a simple rose gold setting.

My question has to do with colour. It would be wonderful to get opinions (or pictures) on k,l,m colour, antique cut stones. I’m going for flashes of colour and a warmth. Not such a fan of the nicotine yellow/brown stones. What colour range would be most likely to give me a “delicate aged lace” look? I’m in Canada so I will be relying on videos and pictures only.

Any input would be so helpful thanks!

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I thnk @Starfacet has an N in rose gold? It's very pretty in person.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chemgirl there's a great couple threads for "show me your J/K/L" and "M/N/O", respectively. I'm on mobile so can't search right now, but they are under the SMTB forum and have great pics of various warm colored stones.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it will really depend on the stone cut. Antique faceting can be very forgiving color wise, my OEC stone is an L. As for the AVC, it's cut to maximize light return so I think you will find that it hides body color, however those big facets are like mirrors and are going to pick up environmental colors.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What colour is your current ring, if you don’t mind reminding me?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I do love the chunky look and in totally expect to see some colour. I like a bit of warmth. I was just worried about going too far with an M.

I currently don’t have a ring. I wear a Cartier trinity alone. So by upgrade I mean I want one haha.

Starfacet, thank you so much! Your ring is exactly the look I’m going for so nice to know it’s an N.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, each old cut is going to be different. I have an L OEC and it's pretty white. I have a K pear old cut with Medium blue florescence and it's VERY white because of the flor.

The vendors of the stone you buy are the best bet to ask.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a J AVC and it shows color a decent amount of time. Just a warmth mostly, but then other times it’s very clear that it isn’t colorless. However, it can also face up very white depending on the light.

Attachments

• 08D55977-4527-4644-9C7B-468947D66FB2.jpeg
    08D55977-4527-4644-9C7B-468947D66FB2.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 91

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I know that all antique stones behave differently, but wouldn’t AVCs in the same colour range look similar since the cut is consistent? Or am I way off?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have an AVC so can't be of any help, but just wanted to say I'm so excited for you @chemgirl! :dance:Just going by your description, I think J to L would be good. Keep us posted!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This vendor never responded to my inquiry on what color they were, but I'm guess waaaay lower than an L color! I think with a setting like this and the mixed metal...those colors are divine. The setting is stock BeverlyK.

upload_2018-8-23_6-31-13.png

but wouldn’t AVCs in the same colour range look similar since the cut is consistent? Or am I way off?
Yes and no....but it is true of any cut. As each GIA color scale goes down, the number of shades within that color-grade increase. So, there are more shades in N than H. We start using "high" and "low" at I and J color. So, two AVC M's can be quite differnt from each other. But, Jonathan will walk you through it and help you with color. Its the side profile where you'll see it most. Personally, I prefer a brown body color (see picture above) or even grey over a yellow body color -- but that is personal.

Old cuts, even newly cut old cuts, generally hide color better than modern cuts. Cushions will generally have less spread than a round.

This Q/R is gorgeous and an amazing price for the size. You really can't detect the slight asymetry and omg is she lovely (look at that clarity!!).
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/2-43ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-q-r-vs1/

Another lovely antique.
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-65ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-j-vs2/

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
This vendor never responded to my inquiry on what color they were, but I'm guess waaaay lower than an L color! I think with a setting like this and the mixed metal...those colors are divine. The setting is stock BeverlyK.

Yes and no....but it is true of any cut. As each GIA color scale goes down, the number of shades within that color-grade increase. So, there are more shades in N than H. We start using "high" and "low" at I and J color. So, two AVC M's can be quite differnt from each other. But, Jonathan will walk you through it and help you with color. Its the side profile where you'll see it most. Personally, I prefer a brown body color (see picture above) or even grey over a yellow body color -- but that is personal.

Old cuts, even newly cut old cuts, generally hide color better than modern cuts. Cushions will generally have less spread than a round.

This Q/R is gorgeous and an amazing price for the size. You really can't detect the slight asymetry and omg is she lovely (look at that clarity!!).

Another lovely antique.
Thanks! The husband wants to take the lead on this so I’m glad to have a list of questions for him to ask. It’s hard for me to give up the reins on something like this so he is being not so subtly pointed in a specific direction.

He originally wanted it to be a complete surprise because he feels like he dropped the ball a bit on the original proposal. I want him to feel like he’s doing the work haha

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I get where you are coming from and love that he cares about being part of it. However, maybe you could narrow it down to a few options and he can surprise you with one of them. That is how we typically handle jewelry surprises. He tries, but it's like clothing it is such a personal style choice, it's very hard to pick for someone else without a great deal on input/direction.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander if you don’t mind me asking, which vendor’s piece is that? I love those low colored rose cuts and would love to look at more photos of it.

Another lovely antique.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander if you don’t mind me asking, which vendor’s piece is that? I love those low colored rose cuts and would love to look at more photos of it.
The amazing thing is that its a BeveryK setting. It may have been slightly customized to change the shank color. Here's the setting. I don't like the side view, but the top is lovely.
https://www.greenwichjewelers.com/d...ee-stone-diamond-engagement-ring-setting.html

I'm pretty sure HighPerformanceDiamonds, IDJ and others can order the setting if you like the whole thing. I adore the color of those stone. The poster never said what color they are, but I'd assume they are O/P rose-cuts. The shank in the picture I posted was rose gold.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The amazing thing is that its a BeveryK setting. It may have been slightly customized to change the shank color. Here's the setting. I don't like the side view, but the top is lovely.
https://www.greenwichjewelers.com/d...ee-stone-diamond-engagement-ring-setting.html

I'm pretty sure HighPerformanceDiamonds, IDJ and others can order the setting if you like the whole thing. I adore the color of those stone. The poster never said what color they are, but I'd assume they are O/P rose-cuts. The shank in the picture I posted was rose gold.

Thank you for the link!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an O color AVR that faces up yellow and I love it. I have it set to accentuate the yellow. But I wouldn't like it at all in rose gold. I think with rose gold, I'd go with J-K. That's a soft color range, kind of ivory, without showing too much yellow. The colors reflected have to do with the cut and not the color of the stone. Just remember that K is a range, and some are closer to L, so you need to see the stones in person before making a final decision.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results