shape
carat
color
clarity

August is for PERIDOT!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hello Colored-gem folks!

I've had a hankering for a peridot RHR. Not sure of the cut/shape, but perhaps a cushion or oval (a bit different than my princess e-ring). I'm thinking around 2ct.

After browsing a couple of jewelry sites, I've come to the conclusion that it would be so much more FUN to create my own instead of purchasing a ready-made piece.

So where do i start? i've checked out a couple of loose gem sites that y'all recommended on LaurenTP's post, but have no clue on how to select an "ideal" peridot. Is there such a thing?

And as far as settings go, who has a good selection? And would they also set the stone? Sorry that I'm sooo clueless.

THANKS in advance for your help!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Hi Charger:

I''m a peridot fan, also. While I don''t think it is popular as some other colored gems, it really looks great when worn. I was not a peridot lover till I tried some on. It''s a nice summer color and a peaceful color. It looks great with blonde or blonde/brown hair, also.

I don''t know that much, although I''ve been wanting to research peridot myself. I prefer the med. apple green with a small amount of yellow in it. I believe the most common shades are apple green w. some yellow, apple green and olive. I also prefer it set in yellow gold (usually).

Take a look at peridotlovers.com for some good information and nice stones.

Best,
Sonoma

naderon

Rough_Rock
Top quality peridot from Pakistan or Burma are both really nice. If you''re really lucky, you might be able to find a stone with a bluish tone to it. Basically, the more lively a green it is (with less olive tones preferably), the more valuable it is. They often contain "lilypad" inclusions, but they aren''t always super noticeable in the stone, especially if well-cut. It can often give the stone some character :)

I was in the same predicament that you currently find yourself in, since so much of peridot is boring commercial-quality. I was able to find a peridot that I fell in love with, a flawless Pakistani precision-cut by Technofacet. It''s not huge at 2.5 cts, but I''m a sucker for a nice cushion! Still haven''t gotten around to setting it...

If you''re looking for a good setter, check out Wink Jones. There are quite a few other good ones out there, that perhaps more connected forum members can recommend :)

If you have tons of money lying around, and want something ugly but incredibly rare and literally out of this world, then perhaps an Esquel peridot would be more fitting ;-)

pppperidot.JPG

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
sonoma & naderon- many THANKS for the info! I''ll check it out.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Well, since I have Richard Homer on the brain after IrishGrrl's post, have you seen these? All bigger than 2 cts, though:
Concavegems.com.

ETA: And Wink would be the perfect person to set it...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I love peridot - handy being an August birthday.

It is quite fragile, I have broken more than one of my set stones. You also mustn''t put it in an ultrasonic.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 5:08:36 AM
Author: Pandora II
I love peridot - handy being an August birthday.

It is quite fragile, I have broken more than one of my set stones. You also mustn''t put it in an ultrasonic.
Good to know!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never loved peridot, although it is my birthstone. After seeing that last peridot, I think I can change my mind..
3.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I am an Aug b-day too, and just warming up to peri...
36.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 11:40:16 AM
Author: trillionaire
36.gif
Aug baby... still not on board with the peridot, LOL.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 11:45:59 AM
Author: geckodani
Date: 8/13/2008 11:40:16 AM

Author: trillionaire

36.gif

Aug baby... still not on board with the peridot, LOL.

I am beginning to like them in YG with halos... otherwise, not so much. Maybe a funky EC would be nice, and it would have to be big! :)

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
naderon -- that peridot is Gorgeous!!
30.gif
that would be beautiful in a halo!!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
OMG, Selkie. Those gems are fabulous! Is Mr. Homer the God of Colored stones?

THANKS for the eye-candy. they may be a bit over my budget and wee bit big... I think. Perhaps i need to go see gems IRL to get a sense of the ct weights. The 2ct number may be too small perhaps?? OK, that''s step one- Go on a look-see!

I think it''s interesting about the love/hate relationship with Peridots. i admit that i wasn''t too keen on them until recently. They''ve kinda grown on me.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
hi again!

i''ve done a bit of searching, and there''s a WIDE range of costs for peridots. They run the gamut from $50-ish to well over $1k (in the 2-3ct range i''m interested in). It''s kinda mind-boggling, but i guess like most things, you get what you pay for. RIGHT?

I''m really leaning towards this stone: http://wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/4662

comments & suggestions would be much appreciated. THANKS in advance!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
It looks great! I''d like to see it from other angles though. My only hesitation is that it looks a bit elongated, and isn''t a calibrated size, but if you''re happy going custom for the setting it should work out.

As for setting it, I''d be tempted to go with Green Lake Jewelers. That color green seems very "organic" to me, and GLJW is darn good at settings with an organic feel to them.

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
I just bought a peridot claddagh ring. I didn''t even realize at the time it was August''s stone. I feel even better about the purchase knowing that now since August is my anniversary month! I love peridots, what a gorgeous colour!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I''m an August baby and love that peridot!!!

Lori

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results