shape
carat
color
clarity

Auction prices a bit low?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it just me, or are some of these pieces, with the exception of the huge pink sapphire ring, a bit too low??

This was an auction of the jewels of Red Skelton, Mary Tyler Moore, Barbara Sinatra and Tony Randall. I was shocked at how low that huge pear shaped diamond went for, and the emerald necklace.

That HW ruby and diamond bracelet...
faintinggirly.gif

Yeah, a few of the prices seem modest, especially since they have celebrity prestige attached.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so glad you posted this. I was watching an auction recently that Christie's hosted with some INCREDIBLE Van Cleef and Arpels, Graff, Cartier, and more pieces. I'm used to seeing auctions go for the top of the estimated range or even drastically higher. Every single item I was watching went for the lowest end of the range - I was truly shocked.

I keep hearing that the economy is great and that the notion that we're in any sort of pullback/recession/slowdown/whatever is simply a misunderstanding. Seeing these auctions go the way they are really challenges that notion for me. For the longest time I've heard "The rich will always spend. They aren't affected by the economy." hmmm...

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it’s not recession related
(And I’m super stretching thoughts here because of ignorance)
I do wonder what age group had historically purchased the majority of items auctioned off.

If it’s typically shifted to a younger generation over time - and the specific younger generation up now doesn’t value those the same as past ones did that resulted in the bid ups?
Does old Hollywood hold fascination after a certain generation?

Last edited:

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I do wonder what age group had historically purchased the majority of items auctioned off.

If it’s typically shifted to a younger generation over time - and the specific younger generation up now doesn’t value those the same as past ones did that resulted in the bid ups?

Definitely a valid question!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great video, and nice to hear the lovely, soothing Scottish accent of the narrator.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
If it’s not recession related
(And I’m super stretching thoughts here because of ignorance)

This.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
An interesting observation!

I only looked a couple of pieces from the recent Elton John jewellery auction and felt like prices were relatively high on those, so @Rfisher could be onto something - old Hollywood isn’t something many people attach value to anymore?

If that’s the case, then I’m definitely keeping an eye out for the lower-priced items - can’t believe that 32ct collet set riviere only went for $35k?! :eek2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results