shape
carat
color
clarity

Auction on Ebay- 1.78 E VS1 Princess Cut Diamond Ring GIA Cert

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondjilltoo

Rough_Rock
I thought I could enhance the sell of my diamond by posting a post on pricescope. If you are interested in a princess cut diamond that is of good quality, please click on the is the website below. If you are having trouble with the link, go to ebay and type in this number in the search box. 2609760069

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2609760069

Thanks,

DiamondJil
loopy.gif
loopy.gif
wavey.gif

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Nice stone! Great price!
I was just looking at Ebay item # 2609447282
Diamond and Sapphire I really love the ring

Best
George
GLE Gem Imports

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
How interesting..I never knew that a princess was really a 'modified rectangular brilliant'. Is could just be me not knowing anything about princess cuts, but doesnt 6.8mm seem kind of small for a 1.8c stone or is it just that princesses carry alot of depth creating extra weight? Also are princesses normally square (e.g. shouldn't this be 6.8x6.8 as opposed to 6.8x6.18?)

confused.gif

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Mara the stone is 1.58ct The cut is not bad,...
George

diamondjilltoo

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the compliment. Now all I need is to have someone buy it.
2.gif

diamondjilltoo

Rough_Rock
This sale is in its final hours and hasn't met the required $8000 bid. It is a great buy!!!! Don't let this opportunity slip by you!!!

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, priced too high for eBay. It could very well sell there, but it'll probably take a long time at that price! This was a great place to advertise it though, smart thinking!
2.gif

diamondjilltoo

Rough_Rock
Maybe someone will buy it this time. If you are interested in a beautiful princess cut diamond please go to ebay and take a look at this stone. New Item number is 2611280795 or you can click on this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2611280795

diamondjilltoo

Rough_Rock
There has been some concern that being since I'm a first time seller on ebay that I'm out to get someone. Please believe that I'm not. I can't help that I'm a first time seller on ebay and I plan or want to make a living on selling things on ebay like some people do. I just have a left over ring from a relationship that went sour. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions about the ring. Thanks for you time.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also agree that the $8k price is too high for eBay. People want to get a 'great deal' to buy from eBay..and $8k seems too close to purchasing from a good online vendor for a stone such as this. In their minds you have to overcome the whole 'why should I take a risk on this' mentality. Good luck!

andrea

Shiny_Rock
Hi! Sorry to hear about your "ebaying" experience. I can sympathize as I too am trying to offload a diamond. I tried my local paper 1st without much luck, and now I'm in the ebay files. Aggravating, isn't it.
My last resort will be to go to local jewelers to see about consignment, or to a wholesaler, and bite the bullet for whatever I can get. How long do you hold on to something without really dropping your price though. I guess it's like buying a puppy vs. a 6 mos. old dog. Everybody wants the "benefit" of being the first to break it in. Good luck, and if you find some place else to advertise, let me know, and I'll do the same for you.
wink2.gif
cry.gif

diamondjilltoo

Rough_Rock
Mara,

I guess, I'm really confused as to what you are trying to say. Maybe you know where you can purchase a stone of this quality cheaper than the price I'm asking for. If you do, please create a link for me. Here are some links for you to check out the prices of stone that are close to the same proportions as my stone. Plus, I want to remind you that you also get a nice quality ring with it too. If I can't get what I'm asking for, then there is something wrong. I am asking 20% to 30% (depending on the stone you look at) below their price. I always heard (I know have heard that too) that diamonds are a good purchase, because they always keep their value and they will increase in value over time. Maybe that isn't true anymore???? Maybe diamonds aren't really good purchase and there like cars, once you drive them off the lot they have lost 10% or higher of their value. I would think that am asking a fair price and if you are in the market for stone like that one you or someone else would buy mine instead of theirs. Check these sites out.

Thanks,

Diamondjill

https://www.pricescope.com/panning.asp

http://www.drostes.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?shape=S&carta1=1.50&color1=E&clarity1=%23DVS1&submit=Search&carta2=1.60&color2=E&clarity2=%23DVS1

I'm sure, I could fine more sites. I think you get my picture. If you want, you can add more sites to prove my point.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This stone on Pricescope averages around $9k. You're asking someone who doesn't know anything about you to spend $8k on that stone and ring with you. You have no feedback, there is nothing to recommend you to anyone. I know that you are trying to sell this for personal reasons, but on eBay that doesn't mean a whole lot without the feedback to back it up. This is just my opinion, but essentially you are asking someone to trust you enough to spend $8k on you when they could just go to an online reputable vendor and get that stone for $9k. Sure the setting you have is included, but settings are personal as well, your setting may be hurting you in that someone may not like the setting and feels as though they are tricked into paying for it. Who can really assume what goes through a bidders mind?

But take into consideration that your last auction ended without a sale, and this one has no bids a few days into it. The bidders are telling you something. This ring is priced too highly for a venue such as eBay. Take also into consideration that if you took this ring to a pawn shop or similar, you'd probably get around 20% of the value. If you took it to a jeweler and got them to buy it from you, you might get 50% of the value. You are essentially asking an eBay bidder to buy this ring at around 90% of the value (not counting the setting as that is a variable but if you feel the need then take off 10% for the setting..that still leaves you at asking 80% of retail).

Read a few of the recent posts on diamonds and jewels as investments, its a tricky subject and there is no guaranteeable outcome. The bottom line is that it is quite hard to sell diamonds and/or rings to the general public if you are not a jeweler. eBay is a great venue for items such as this, but people quite commonly sell things way below value in order to get rid of it and the bidder feels as though they got a 'great deal'. In my eyes, if I was in the market, this ring would intrigue me for sale on eBay at around $5k. That would constitute a great deal for me. I bought a diamond bracelet on eBay for $200, it retailed at $1100 and came with the original receipt, paperwork, etc. That's a great deal. It was a personal seller, she just wanted to sell some stuff. There was no return policy. Can you offer returns or upgrades later?

Again, this is just my opinion and my two cents, but I am seconding what Tara originally said in that this is too high of a price for eBay. See where your auction ends and if I am proven wrong, GREAT...that means you sold your ring and made some $$. But if not, then I would seriously consider lowering the reserve price and if that does not work, try taking it into some local jewelers to see if they would be interested in at least the stone. You really never know! Good luck.
1.gif

Greg G

Rough_Rock
There is another thread regarding the "investment" value of diamonds but my opinion is that, for the casual consumer, it's only an investment from your grandchildren's perspective.
1.gif

I'm big on buying on e-bay and I'm not even thinking about going that route for this purchase. It's funny too since I'm looking for a very similar diamond to the one you are selling. What would keep me away if I did want to go the e-bay route is:

1) I want at least the illusion that I'm the first to own this stone.

2) No feedback - I only bought from a 0 feedback person once and it went very bad.

3) I want a more square stone (ratio is 1.10 I'd like it closer to 1.0 than that).

4) The band is not to my taste.

5) I'm not thrilled with title saying it's a 1.78c ring when I only care about the main diamond that's 1.53c.

-Greg

diamondjilltoo

Rough_Rock
Guys,

All I can say is that you don't have to buy it.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/30/2003 10:57:41 AM diamondjilltoo wrote:
Guys,

All I can say is that you don't have to buy it.----------------
Diamond Jill: These people aren't trying to pick on you, and they aren't saying you don't have a beautiful diamond. What they are trying to tell you----because you asked----is that the price you are asking is higher than the eBay market will typically bear. No one is saying that it isn't a good price on the diamond, or that it's not worth it.

They are trying to tell you that the climate of eBay is risk-taking...people are willing to assume some amount of risk to get what they consider to be a good deal. However, on such a major purchase, where there is SO much at risk, the deal has to be better than 10-15% off to incent bidding. No one is implying that your ring isn't actually worth what you are asking, but you are trying to unload it in a forum where the mindset is "get a great deal".

It's like trying to sell a $50,000 to poor college students. The car may be worth $50,000, but you won't get that if you don't pitch it to the right audience. Same thing with the ring....it's worth what you're asking, but you are unlikely to get that money from eBay bidders.

These folks aren't criticizing you; they are trying to help you understand why you aren't getting any bids.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results