shape
carat
color
clarity

Attorneys With Children

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE that book.

What a great story, how creative.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2008 7:01:27 PM
Author: neatfreak
I''m in policy and work with many lawyers, and have worked at both for profit and non-profit places. Their advice? A UNANIMOUS: If you are questioning whether you WANT to go to law school or not, DON''T DO IT. Be sure before you take on that kind of debt and pressure.

I personally think that''s really great advice, and I am glad I listened to them because it was after I decided not to go to law school that I realized that I was so much more excited about a Ph.D., and I knew I had found my true passion.
Ha! I looked at PhD programs as well. Maybe I''m not cut out for law school! But I am very happy that it''s my Undergrad, I love being able to read cases and actually understand them (the majority of the time lol).

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2008 11:10:13 AM
Author: Independent Gal
The bottom line: only a lucky (read: hard working, well-organizing, and probably totally exhausted) few - and it sounds like LitChik is one of them - are able to reach the peak of their profession and be a good mom.

LitChik, you''re an inspiration to me!
My husband is a partner at a top NY law firm, and I can''t honestly think of a single female partner who has kids (not unless the father is a SAHD). Very depressing.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
This a great thread! I am an attorney saddled with loans and considering having children. MMM''s and other''s observations about maintaining a regular case load on the partner track can be really challenging in private practice. I am currently working for the government and love itbecause of the flexible hours and the ability to telework. There are several women in my agency who have started families, gone out on maternity leave and have been able to come back without losing seniority or their cases. So government might be an option. Of course the pay isn''t the same as private practice, but there is an option out there! Hopefully I haven''t repeated what was already said, but just wanted to let you know there are options.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Onedrop, are you in federal, state, or local government? I''m pretty sure I want to work for a federal agency, so I was just curious!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2008 9:23:40 PM
Author: Octavia
Onedrop, are you in federal, state, or local government? I''m pretty sure I want to work for a federal agency, so I was just curious!

I am interested in govt, too!
36.gif

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2008 4:14:57 PM
Author: Octavia
SarahLovesJS, I''m a law student and the degree definitely comes at a heavy price.

First, financially. In general, if you are a super student and get above a 170 on your LSAT, then there are many scholarships available at most schools. If you''re a good student and get a very good LSAT score, there are some scholarships at some schools. If your grades and your LSAT aren''t so hot, you''ll be paying for the degree yourself (as in, loans, lots of loans).

I totally agree with this. I''m in the second group as well. I''m about to graduate from a middle ranked school. I was admitted with a full ride for three semesters, that was renewable thereafter based on my class rank. I could have gone to a higher ranked school, but the scholarship was too good to pass up. I was planning to transfer after one year, but I decided that I was at the right school for me. (btw, law school rankings aren''t the end all be all. Some of the factors they consider are kinda funky, like the square footage of the law library).

If you did well in undergrad and get a strong LSAT score, there are tons of lower-tier schools that are willing to give you money. They want to raise their averages and are very motivated to lure you into their school. You don''t have to go to Harvard to get a good legal education. Yes, doors open for students from top schools. But they might not even be doors that you want to enter. If you say you''re not a big firm kind of person then your needs can be well met at a lot of other schools.

Law school is definitely expensive but can be managable if you position yourself strategically.

As far as areas of the law-- there are many that have decent hours. One friend is an in-house contracts atty for a pharmaceutical corp. She commented that she sometimes feels guilty that she''s getting paid for not a lot of work. It comes in spurts for her and it can get slow at times.

Government jobs are definitely more 9-5.

Also, I shared an office with an estate planning/probate atty once and his schedule seemed pretty nice.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I think I am fortunate to be living a very different reality than many of you US law posters. I am Canadian, so my school cost was insignificant - I was able to work through school/summers, and with a bit of help from my parents, emerged from law school debt free. At worst, my friends from law school came out with about $40,000 in debt (and that included their undergrad). So the cost issue is really not as significant here.

I also think that Canadian firms are pretty accepting of families, including the needs of women. We have several female partners with children - one made partner and had her daughter the same year! I have a 20 month old, and plan on becoming a partner by the beginning of next year.

The point - I know there is a lot of press out there about the challenges, and there are some challenges. But a lot of it is fear mongering, and I don''t want people to just toss aside a law career at a firm (if that is what they want) just because of what these people say.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
One more thing - I am due for partnership in the next year, which is on the very same timeline as my peers of the same year of call to the bar - I was not and will not be taken back a year, despite taking 9 months of maternity leave!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 9:46:55 AM
Author: LitigatorChick
One more thing - I am due for partnership in the next year, which is on the very same timeline as my peers of the same year of call to the bar - I was not and will not be taken back a year, despite taking 9 months of maternity leave!
Hi LitigatorChick! I am actually an articling student in Toronto at a big corporate firm - many of our female associates/partners have children. (For the US folks - articling is like a 10 month internship that you have to do before being called to the bar).

This is obviously an issue I think about once in a while with my wedding coming up - wondering if and when I''ll ever be able to have kids. I know it is possible, but I think what it (appears) to come down to is that having kids and wanting a successful legal career (esp. in private practice) is definitely possible, however motherhood will be different for us. We won''t be able to arrive at 9 and leave at 5 every day - many of the women here are incredible lawyers and I''m sure amazing mums - I think you have to be willing to accept that yes, you may have a nanny, or you may have to trade off duties with your DH and each take a night when you are home etc.

I think that it involves just a change in your notions of what being a mom is - you can still be an amazing, caring, loving and supportive mother AND have a sitter/nanny a few times a week or whathaveyou. It will also mean that you likely have to work from home some evenings etc.

On a side note, I''ve found that as an articling student I''ve had to re-adjust my perceptions on what a "late" night is. I found that if I started feeling grumpy about being at work from 5 or even 6 p.m. onwards, I was miserable. I''ve had to re-jig my thinking so that now I only start feeling like it is a late night after 8. Keeps me sane :)

About your comment about how you took 9 months off and stayed on your normal partnership track - did you get any grief for it in the firm from men in your year or even women without kids? That is an argument I hear a lot in Toronto - that how is it fair that someone else works an extra 9 months than you and you both make partner at the same time? I of course say "well then YOU have the kids ;-)"

Did you have any issues with that?

Thanks!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck with articling, October2008bride. I lucked out and clerked, which is a better gig than articling at a big firm. Our students work very hard at the firm, and I don''t envy them.

Concerning my partnership track, I was arguably at least 1 year ahead of my peers. I have been fortunate, and excelled in school and clerking. As well, on my "year off" (that makes me giggle), I spent time each week with a head set on while I nursed and took conference calls. I stayed in touch throughout, and tried to stay on top of recent developments in my practice area. I admit I was a little rusty for the first few weeks, but within no time, I was back at the top of my game. As well, I think that being a mother gave me a new perspective that a lot of my peers do not have.

Hours are hard, and I have posted previously my schedule - 6 a.m. to about 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. I will work after the little guy goes to bed at 8:00 if needed. I rarely work weekends. I think my practice area of litigation helps, as our work is generaly more "consistent", rather than the rush of corporate law to get the deal done.

If I can help you out on any other matters about big firm life, let me know.

studyer83

Shiny_Rock
can one of you explain articling to us US people :)

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
It is like a year of internship or residency. After you graduate from law school, you spend a year "articling". You work at a law firm or for the Courts (ie. clerkship). You must have a mentor, called your "principal". As well, you take courses and exams with the law society in your province. After completing the exams, and 1 year at work, you are eligible to be admitted to the law society in your province as a lawyer (what we call getting "called to the bar").

Hope that helps!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 10:32:22 AM
Good luck with articling, October2008bride. I lucked out and clerked, which is a better gig than articling at a big firm. Our students work very hard at the firm, and I don''t envy them.

Concerning my partnership track, I was arguably at least 1 year ahead of my peers. I have been fortunate, and excelled in school and clerking. As well, on my ''year off'' (that makes me giggle), I spent time each week with a head set on while I nursed and took conference calls. I stayed in touch throughout, and tried to stay on top of recent developments in my practice area. I admit I was a little rusty for the first few weeks, but within no time, I was back at the top of my game. As well, I think that being a mother gave me a new perspective that a lot of my peers do not have.

Hours are hard, and I have posted previously my schedule - 6 a.m. to about 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. I will work after the little guy goes to bed at 8:00 if needed. I rarely work weekends. I think my practice area of litigation helps, as our work is generaly more ''consistent'', rather than the rush of corporate law to get the deal done.

If I can help you out on any other matters about big firm life, let me know.
Thanks!! I''ll need it - it feels a little daunting right now. I see the attrition rates at the big firms and I feel like the odds of me staying and loving it are slim, but so far i really enjoy the work and the learning. I''m obviously just starting out so we''ll see what happens.

Thanks for the input regarding your time ''off'' ;-) I think you were very smart in staying connected and on top of recent developments while you were at home - helped both to keep your position at the firm and probably kept you pretty sharp! I''ll remember that for when my time comes!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Diva- As a matter of fact, I just saw how a North Carolina real estate closing goes, and it was a "joke" compared to NY. We dealt with this awesome paralegal the whole time and I'm really going to give it some thought.

LOL- I'm a little tongue and cheek about my description litigatorchick...A LITTLE
emwink.gif

I guess the only thing I can stress is to make sure it suits your personality and realistic goals....that is, the actual practice on a day to day basis, and not the glamorous look of being a lawyer on tv or what people think being a lawyer is like. It really depends on what firm you're at and what field you practice. You could be the dumping ground schlepping to court for appearances....or digging at the county clerk....or on the other hand doing trials and trial prep...or doing corporate work ... real estate.....etc etc.... That will really make a big difference. But honestly, I just don't see how people can be moms and full time lawyers that are making good enough money to pay for loans unless you're at a top firm...and are willing to put your dues in)....Even so, that just never appealed to me. Quality of life has always been #1 for me.

How about interning at a firm ... even for a short time....to get a feel for it?

(p.s. Yeah, I'm totally totally jealous that someone can make a jump from lawyer to successful childrens' book writer and have a passion for what they do!)

(p.p.s....I think working for the gov is awesome...just be realistic about salary and the school debt load....I pay over $900 a month at this point for my loan)

If I could afford it, I'd work at an animal shelter and would be 1000000000000000% happier than I was being a lawyer. It's not that I hated, hated it...it was "fine"..just "fine"...hated it at times, but "fine"...I really enjoyed research and writing. Maybe an appeals firm would have been a good choice. But I never want to go back....

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2008 9:45:59 AM
So much for womens' equality.
20.gif
It's so disappointing.

Sarah, you can also have a look at the balancing work and family thread on this page if you want, where some of us have been confronting similar questions. Here's the link:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-on-family-work-balance.77917/
I so agree. Advance warning - this whole topic is one of my 'triggers'. It's wrong wrong wrong that women are not supported to combine motherhood and participation in the workplace. And where is the support for men who want to be at home with their children more without sacrificing their careers? And unique to the Irish context, our Constitution says no woman should be forced to work outside the home by reason of economic necessity, and then the State provides zero support to families where the mother wants to stay at home! Aaaargh!
29.gif

Sarah, I'm a lawyer too but I'm afraid my experiences probably have very little resonance for the US. Law school is undergrad over here (read: one big party
2.gif
), followed by professional training that's a combination of postgraduate degree work and apprenticeship type work (depends on the type of lawyer you want to be, we don't have a fused profession). I'm a barrister which means that when I practice I'll be self-employed. I'll make my own hours and work when I want/need to. It's very flexible and actually quite parenting friendly once you have your practice established the way you want it to be. The tricky part, of course, is getting your practice established. From talking to friends who've gone the solicitor route, it very much depends on the firm you are at. Some are more family friendly than others. In no sense is our legal profession gender equal though in terms of career progression.

You know, this issue won't change until change is demanded. LitigatorChick you are an inspiration. You said this on the family-work life balance thread and this is my philosophy too: "You say that women in your area don't have kids pre-tenure. Well, you do. The establishment may not like it, but that's life."

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Delster, you are so sweet! I also love how you describe yourself as a barrister - in Canada, we follow the English system as well, but have taken to simply calling ourselves "lawyers" (very American). I am a "barrister" as well (in the Canadian sense of the word).

If you love love love what you do, you will make it work. If you don''t, it will be a drag and you will hate it. I truly love my job - I help people, I am intellectually challenged, I enjoy the people I work with, and I earn a great income. Because of my income, I can provide my son with the best nanny in the world to give him one on one love and care every day. And then I get to spend all evening and every weekend with him. I am truly blessed, but I have done a lot of hard work to get here. But I did the work and make the sacrifices because my job AND my son are imnportant to me.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I guess what I don't get is why an answer from experience in this day and age and in the field of law is not pro women's lib...Can someone explain it to me? If hubby makes less than the attorney starting out will, great, have him stay home and watch the kids. Someone has to, right? As an associate attorney with loans, you'll need a good paying job to cover the loans, right? Well, let me tell you, you can go into the interview saying "well, I have kids and need time to get them when they are sick, need to me available when they need me, and need to have regular hours"....Yeah, but unless the partners are enlightened or actually GIVE A SH*T about you and your family, well then, these realistic questions and answers from experience need to be given. From my experience, especially when you're starting out, all partners care about are billable hours. Don't get me wrong, most people are reasonable, but in a big firm making big bucks they own you. So you'll need a more flexible job which will lead to less pay when your loans stay the same. Am I saying that you can't be an attorney with kids, no. But if you need to make good bucks to pay for the loans, and if your husband works full time as well, I'm not sure saying Girrrrllll Pooowwweeeerrrr is all it takes.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
MMM - Point is that you still have to bill the hours: no free ride! But you can bill the hours and be a mom. You just need to be super-organized, efficient, and have a lot of help (read: nanny).

I don''t think the firm owns me, despite my salary.
33.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 9:18:22 AM
MMM - Point is that you still have to bill the hours: no free ride! But you can bill the hours and be a mom. You just need to be super-organized, efficient, and have a lot of help (read: nanny).

I don''t think the firm owns me, despite my salary.
33.gif

Aw man I don''t want a nanny, sigh. Well, I have to say even after all the help I am still rather undecided. I am getting ready to go out of town, so if I don''t post for a few days that''s why. Anyway, I love law. I love learning about law. However, I do admittedly get bored with constitutional law. I work very hard in school (sometimes too hard, I had to give myself a reality check at the end of last semester because I pushed myself way too hard), and I know I could do well in law school if I keep pacing myself (I am trying to get rid of the ideology that if it isn''t straight A''s it''s not acceptable since I am at a very difficult and competitive school). Government jobs would be ideal for me, and moving to the DC area wouldn''t be a problem at all (FI is actually from DC-area). I''ve put all of this pressure on myself, and for some reason I am so afraid that if I don''t go to law school right after I graduate that I won''t go at all. I am afraid I won''t go back. At the same time, while in my heart it''s what I want, I''m not sure if it is what I want or just dream. I also wanted to be a pop star when I was 3 and I sang my heart out all the time, but I am not that good of a singer and obviously that''s not a good career for me.
31.gif

I do think I''d do well as an attorney, but sigh. I guess the other thing is it''s become kind of a mental crutch. In other words, that''s just what I am going to do. If I let go of that and say I''ll do something else, I start to feel kind of unfulfilled and downright scared because then the question is, "What AM I going to do?" My original plan (before law school) was a nice job at a government security agency as an analyst of some kind. Unfortunately, I don''t have the language skills, so I don''t see why that would happen. Thus, I moved on and locked in to law school. Now I feel like I can''t shake it! Do I REALLY
30.gif
it as much as I think? God it''s so confusing. I am almost in my fourth year of college and I am honestly terrified to let go of law school. What about grad school you ask? Well I also thought about becoming a Japanese history professor, but those jobs are seriously limited and I really don''t feel like getting a PhD. So, what''s my last option? I guess becoming a teacher? This is going to sound really bad, but I wanted to make more money than my parents not less. Not combined, but me personally. I guess it isn''t all about money. I guess I could also get involved in local government. I have three career goals: to help people, make a difference/feel fulfilled, and finally to make decent money so I can live comfortably among my expensive taste.

So sorry for the long post!!
14.gif

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 6:14:52 PM
Author: moremoremore
I guess what I don't get is why an answer from experience in this day and age and in the field of law is not pro women's lib...Can someone explain it to me? If hubby makes less than the attorney starting out will, great, have him stay home and watch the kids. Someone has to, right? As an associate attorney with loans, you'll need a good paying job to cover the loans, right? Well, let me tell you, you can go into the interview saying 'well, I have kids and need time to get them when they are sick, need to me available when they need me, and need to have regular hours'....Yeah, but unless the partners are enlightened or actually GIVE A SH*T about you and your family, well then, these realistic questions and answers from experience need to be given. From my experience, especially when you're starting out, all partners care about are billable hours. Don't get me wrong, most people are reasonable, but in a big firm making big bucks they own you. So you'll need a more flexible job which will lead to less pay when your loans stay the same. Am I saying that you can't be an attorney with kids, no. But if you need to make good bucks to pay for the loans, and if your husband works full time as well, I'm not sure saying Girrrrllll Pooowwweeeerrrr is all it takes.

Hmmm...In various publications for law students (particularly one magazine-- I forget the name) it seems that there is a trend for law firms to be more mindful about quality of life issues. After all, its also in their best interest to have more stability in their firms (read: less turn-over). Additionally, students and new grads are really making noise about these issues. This is true for men and women alike. So although change is coming slowly, I can definitely see it on the horizon.

I'm fairly sure that law firms today are not the same as they were maybe 10 or even 5 years ago. While anecdotes are very valuable, who really can say what attorneys will face 5 years from now? I think its important to keep that in mind. I'm not saying its going to be all rainbows and butterflies. I'm just saying that it might not be such a nightmare. Plus, the old school partners will have to retire someday--leaving the firms to a new generation. SO, why can't that be us?
2.gif

Oh, and I'm writing from a U.S. standpoint. I'm a student in CA.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
I usually lurk, but had to jump in here.

It seems there are two themes going on in this thread: 1) actual experience of being a mom and an attorney, and 2) the overall treatment of women/mothers in business/law firms.

1) I am an attorney, and it just is not as bad as people assume. It's so varied, from what city you live in, to the type of firm you work for, to the type of law you practice. Yes, you can get a job at a big-city law firm doing litigation or corporate mergers, and yes, most likely you will have long hours. But there are so many different types of law and law firms, you simply cannot generalize. As for my experience:

I went to a top-20 law school in the US; I got a job at a prestigious "big-firm" in a large market; but I practice real estate. My hours are extremely manageable, I rarely work past 5 or 6. I actually feel guilty b/c I get paid a lot of money and I have a life outside of work. However, as LItChick said, as an attorney, your hours are much more manageable. For instance, I may "bill" or "work" more hours than a non-lawyer, but it is at my own time/pace. I can work from home, I can work an hour or two on the weekends. I travel a ton (for pleasure), and manage to get my work done as well. I can work from an airplane if I need to.

Others at my law firm in lit or corporate did work later than I did; and yes, occasionally were there till 3 in the morning. But that is rare, and you know when a deal is closing that you will be working round the clock. But then you can take the next day off. Flexible.

I now work in a small office of a large law firm, and it is heaven- the best possible combo. I have an amazing boss, I am learning and being mentored as I should be, but he believes in life/work balance and spending time with your family.

So it can be done. As for law school- personally, I think law school in itself is a fantastic education and preparation for many other careers. Besides the cost, I can't imagine that anyone would be "wasting time" getting a legal degree. I did attend law school at a later age and worked before law school. I do agree that no one should go to law school just b/c they don't know what else to do. It is HARD and time-consuming and stressful. Those that went straight-through had a much harder time. You need to want to be there.

2) Overall treatment of women- sucks. Incoming law firm classes average about 50% (or more) women. By partnership level (usually b/w 7-9 years in) it has dropped dramatically to only a few women. Why? It's not because women can't cut it or don't want to work. It's b/c women have kids, and a choice has to be made, and when you have a child, your choice is pretty much made for you. Law firms anguish over this, many articles have been written, but the bottom line is until they come up with more flexible hours/schedule, they are going to lose not only some brilliant legal minds, but all of the money that they have invested in training those women.

THAT BEING SAID- It's the SAME in any other high-profile, high-powered, high-reward business or career. This is not a problem uniquely related to law firms.

Plus, to be honest, you don't HAVE to be a partner. I don't really know that I want to be one, it is much added stress and responsibilities, and not much more money (at first). You have to LOVE what you do like LItChick obviosly does.

I can easily stay here, can make partner and have kids if I choose to, or stay here and work out a flex schedule and NOT be a partner. You always have choices, and you can always find a firm or business that is a fit for you.

Plus, I have a ton of friends that have babies and are still on partner track. But yes, they have nannies.

Oh, and I have noticed that all of the succesful women partners I know have kids- but they usually have husbands that have careers that enable them to stay home or work from home. And nannies.

So I guess my advice is- go to law school if you have a passion or desire for it. You don't have to work at a big law firm. You can find a niche that works for you.

ETA: Yikes, I wrote a novel! (Or a brief
2.gif
) I guess I had more to say than I thought! Sorry, stepping OFF soapbox now.
23.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I'm laughing b/c I used to read and write for a living...but those responses are long LOL and brain is now the size of a pea
emotion-15.gif
...I'm sure there is great advice out there!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best of luck to all!!!!

p.s. I actually did have a 9-6 job that probably would have let me do 9-5 for a pay cut...I worked basically 2 weekends in 7 years...but the pay sucked!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
SarahlovesJS - why don''t you want a nanny??? My nanny is basically my stay at home wife - looks after the kidlet, cleans, cooks, laundry! It''s great!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 2:57:19 PM
So, what''s my last option? I guess becoming a teacher? This is going to sound really bad, but I wanted to make more money than my parents not less. Not combined, but me personally. I guess it isn''t all about money.

Oh, honey no. Don''t ever say "I guess I''ll be a teacher." Don''t be a teacher unless it''s something you really think you''d love. I am a teacher, and I love it (usually), but my WORD is it ever trying. If I had it to do over again, I would look into careers that are a lot less mentally and emotionally trying. I mean, I''d probably still end up teaching because I think it is my calling, but I cannot begin to explain how difficult it is sometimes. (Unless of course I missed something and you are referring to collegiate education, in which case, that sounds cool)

My husband is actually a law student right now. If this helps any, I will say that 1) he does not have any ugly debt; he attends a state school, and by the end of it, the total cost will probably be about 35,000 including books, parking, etc. (Of course, sometimes it''s hard to get into the less expensive schools because so many people are looking for that inexpensive route.) 2) He is looking to go into something like real estate law or mediation. These practices seem to be less demanding than litigation and other types of law. Of course, they don''t pay as much as big, demanding firms, but hey, the salaries are still nothing to sneeze at either.

Maybe you could look into constitutional law. That seems like something that may interest you just from looking at your posts in this thread.

On the other hand, I will say this. It sounds like you just REALLY want to have a plan for what to do after graduation from college. Maybe you should just shop around and see what career paths are out there. a ridiculously high percentage of college graduates never actually use their degree when they enter the work force.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 11:10:47 PM
SarahlovesJS - why don''t you want a nanny??? My nanny is basically my stay at home wife - looks after the kidlet, cleans, cooks, laundry! It''s great!
This is going to sound crazy, but I want to do those things! Haha. Sounds crazy right?

Fancy I think you''re right. I am going to do some more career shopping and see what I can do. I am going to go talk to them at the law school today. Maybe they can help give me some direction. There''s also the career center at my school. I guess I am jumping "the gun" a little for lack of a better phrase. Thank you for your input as well China! I am going to go take some time and think about this. See you all soon!
1.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
SarahLovesJS, it sounds like you would benefit from a couple years off rather than going to law school right away. I don''t remember if you said what year you are in college, but if you''re a senior you''ll almost have to take a year off because application deadlines have passed for a lot of schools for the class of 2011. When I graduated from college, I was a lot like you -- I thought I''d like to go to law school but I just wasn''t sure, and I didn''t really know what I''d want to do once I got through and started practicing. Taking some time off to do other things helped me filter things in my mind. About 2/3 of my classmates took some time off, it definitely won''t hurt you unless you''re driven to be a lawyer ASAP...in which case, you''d already be absolutely sure about going.

Definitely make use of your career services people -- they can be really helpful even a couple years out, if you take the time to establish a relationship with them.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I work at a "big firm" in Washington, DC and they are really big on making life easier for moms. (I''ve been listening to a co-worker for the last few weeks discussing what kind of breast pumps we need for an area set up for moms). Also, I forget what magazine, but it had a list of the best firms for women and DLA Piper was at the top of the list. I don''t believe we made the list at all and our firm had a problem with it. I think we''re now trying to compete with our fellow DC firms. I read the article about DLA Piper and the woman featured was on partner track and her time off to be with her new born did not interfere (if I recall correctly she had more than one child). So perhaps times are a changin'' and it will become easier to manage work and home life. Also, at my firm, there is paternity leave which I had never witnessed before. I think it''s awesome. I''m yet to be a mother and I''m not an attorney, so this is from the outside looking in. It could actually be much more difficult and I''m just seeing the glossy PR version. But we do have a very large number of female attorneys, many with children and quite a few gave birth in the last 6 months.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I am a bit late to this discussion, but here is my two cents.

I graduated from law school in 2001, with over 100k in loans.

I worked for a big, international firm for three years (one of the bigger firms in the US)...and I must say that the majority of women who were partners at the firm either did not have children OR had husbands with very flexible careers or were SAHDs. The hours are just insane and the stress is just horrid.

I then went to work for another firm, not quite as big, and frankly I didn''t find much improvement and there were NO female partners in my particular office.

Long story short - based on my experience, law firm and family do not go well together.

That having been said, after working at the two firms, I went to clerk for a judge for 2 and 1/2 years. Now that is a GREAT gig. I worked 9-4:30, with an for lunch. I enjoyed my work and my stress level was soooo much lower.

So, I think you can be a mother and a lawyer, but doing it at a firm in the US is very difficult.

Finally, for what it is worth, I am no longer a practicing attorney. My judge retired at the end of 2007 and I''m currently pursuing a career in jewelry design!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2008 9:45:59 AM
So much for womens'' equality.
20.gif
It''s so disappointing.

Sarah, you can also have a look at the balancing work and family thread on this page if you want, where some of us have been confronting similar questions. Here''s the link:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-on-family-work-balance.77917/
Awww...IG, don''t say this. Here is how I look at it.

Some jobs are more conducive to PARENTHOOD, not just motherhood.

Think of all the fathers out there who rarely see their children because of their jobs? There are a lot of professions that have shockingly demanding hours that keep a person at the office very long hours.

And, in the spirit of true equality, women have the ability to hold these positions as well.

So, if you chose a job that is very demanding in its time demands, know that is going to affect your non-work life, whether that is children, hobbies, travel, WHATEVER.

If you are the type of person who wants to have children, this is going to affect the type of career you choose, the type of partner you choose, and perhaps even the type of help you choose.

Maybe the wife is an attorney and her husband is a teacher, so he''s in charge of the kids afternoons & vacations? It can work, you just have to tweak & adjust to get to where you want to be.

At any rate, someone needs to raise the child(ren), and it doesn''t HAVE to be mom. It can be dad. It can be mom & dad and a nanny or daycare during working hours.

But a couple can''t have kids & expect them to raise themselves. The good news is, there is a whole host of ways to get it done, however it works for your particular situation is good enough.

FWIW, my DH chose not to accept a position that would fast-track him into a Vice President position. He told me we''d be require to relocate across the US, and he''d be gone ALL the time, having to golf on weekends with the other executives, and he''d barely be home. He chose quality of family life over his professional life.

So he had to make a very hard decision, very similar to the one presented here, so he could be present in his children''s lives instead. He gave up money (oh god...a lot of money....triple his salary.....think of the bling!!!) and advancement to be with us.

Sound familiar?

Its tough all over.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results