shape
carat
color
clarity

Attention techers and parents...

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I am really shocked to learn from my daughter that her teacher regularly answers her cell phone DURING CLASS!

I am thinking I should bring it up to the school and ask what their teacher cell phone policies They have a no students using cell phone policy and I think it should apply to teachers as well! This is Jr. High by the way. I asked my high school age son if his teachers ever use their cell phone in class and he told me know but students sneak text. That is not surprising. Its the teacher that surprises mel.

What do you all think? Speak up or let it go?

I would especially love to hear from some of the teachers I know who post on here.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Teachers should not answer their cell phones in class.

If I were you, I'd contact the teacher first. I don't like to go directly over people's heads from the get-go, especially when the information comes from a third party and I haven't seen the behavior, myself. I'd make a phone call and talk to the teacher directly. Tell her what your daughter told you and how you feel about it, and ask her if it's true. Then, depending on her response I'd probably wait to see if your daughter reports whether it happens again, and if so THEN I'd call the principal.

I'm a teacher. I would never answer my cell phone in class. In fact, I don't even bring my cell phone into the college in the first place.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that it is inappropriate, but you may not have the entire story. As an example, from my 8th month of pregnancy onward, my husband (HS teacher) kept his cell on and atop his desk in case I needed him. Is it possible there is something in her life (sick family member, legal worries) for which the principal has authorized her to answer her cell? Otherwise, it is absolutely not ok.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I know our school has a policy that teachers are not to use cell phones during class times. We can have them, just not use them during class, except in case of emergency. however I do know teachers who regularly text in school and actually a teacher who no is no longer employed at our school actually texted another teacher during standardized testing!!!
Students cannot have phones on during school hours and phones have even confiscated if they are caught using them. .
That said when my DD was in labor 3 years ago I most certainly answered my phone!!!

If this teacher regularly uses her phone in class she is one of those .. the rules don't apply to me kinds and I dare say will bristle at your questioning her. She might even get testy with your daughter . I might see if she continues and I would drop an email to admin if so. Parents tattle on all sorts of random things and if the policy at school is no phones for the staff( which it should be) they will handle it. Any way you look at it,it is a tricky situation, I don't envy you

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bringing it up to the teacher, she will deny it. I would send an email to the principle. No way, no how should a teacher be on her cell phone. If it's an emergency, she should have someone take over the class and then take the call outside of the classroom.

I was a teacher back in the day, way before internet, cell phones...

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Munchkin|1326336813|3100895 said:
I agree that it is inappropriate, but you may not have the entire story. As an example, from my 8th month of pregnancy onward, my husband (HS teacher) kept his cell on and atop his desk in case I needed him. Is it possible there is something in her life (sick family member, legal worries) for which the principal has authorized her to answer her cell? Otherwise, it is absolutely not ok.

I agree that under normal circumstances it's completely unprofessional and inappropriate, but I also agree that you might not have the whole story. My mom is a teacher but she keeps her phone on her desk in case there is an emergency. She will typically let it ring and go to voicemail. We (my siblings and I) know to call back immediately and leave another message if it's an emergency so that she knows it's not just a passing call.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Munchkin|1326336813|3100895 said:

Agreed.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, really?! That's crazy. No, teachers shouldn't answer cell phones during class. I can't believe your daughter's teacher has never been called on it before. I'd say something to her but I wouldn't go over her head to the principal right off the bat. That's a huge pet peeve of mine. If she doesn't stop using her phone during class after you've talked to her, then I'd contact the principal.

If it's an emergency, I'm assuming the teacher would be called on the school's number and the office staff would call her room and let her know she has a call. Then she'd have someone cover her room and leave to take the call.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with you completely. My son's teacher (he's in 1st grade) uses her phone during class. I know this because she's called me to ask me for random things (I'm the room parent), while not answering 13 emails about the class holiday celebration. Even worse, she once had a child call his mother over something (petty) that happened in class. She stopped class, dialed the # and handed the child the phone. He was crying so hard his mother couldn't even understand him. I was outraged when his Mom told me about this.

However, like Elisa said, it's such a touchy thing and I'm afraid that if I say anything, she'll take it out on my child (there's a huge list of other problems in this classroom). I plan to go to admin. when the year is out so that they know about what's gone on with this teacher. I'm so anxious for this year to end. For the record, I am VERY pro-teacher and am in awe of the job that most of them do day in and day out. This particular teacher used to teach middle school and switched to elementary a couple of years ago...she just needs to go back to middle school. I'm sure that her methods are fine for 6th graders.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am a high school teacher who goes ballistic when a student's phone is evident in any way. I put on a big performance at the merest hint of a vibration, even if the phone is buried in a backpack. "What? You dare to receive text messages in MY CLASS? As if you don't need to give me EVERY SINGLE BIT of your UNDIVIDED ATTENTION! Do I not give you ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of my energy and talents each and every class???" Yes, I'm a drama queen in the classroom. So you can imagine the field day the kids would have if my own phone were to go off in class. In fact, I tell them the first day that if a phone rings or vibrates and it turns out to be mine, the entire class gets 20 bonus points on the next test. This means that I must remember to put the phone on silent before class starts each and every time, and that I never ever text or make a call during class. I expect the same from my students.

Our school policy is that students may not have electronic devices visible/audible during class, unless a teacher gives permission for use. They may use them between classes and at lunch. If a teacher sees or hears a device, they can take it away for the rest of the day. After one offense, the teacher may give it to admins who will then have a parent come and get the device. Very few teachers in my school adhere to this policy and that makes it super hard for those of us who do. When I ask a student to give up their phone (failure to comply can result in suspension) I am always told how most teachers don't care and in fact use their own phones during class themselves. Drives me crazy! How can we have this policy for the kids and not the teachers?

As far as I'm concerned, there is no need to take an emergency call during class. When is a classroom teacher going to immediately respond to an emergency? The emergency call can go through to the office who will then get the teacher on the PA. That's what we expect from our students -- that their parents call the office.

I would tell administration. You can just say that you understand from your daughter that teacher phone use is going on but not being in the classroom you don't know the full story, could they please investigate. Let them figure it out, it's their job.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1326372477|3101108 said:
I agree with you completely. My son's teacher (he's in 1st grade) uses her phone during class. I know this because she's called me to ask me for random things (I'm the room parent), while not answering 13 emails about the class holiday celebration. Even worse, she once had a child call his mother over something (petty) that happened in class. She stopped class, dialed the # and handed the child the phone. He was crying so hard his mother couldn't even understand him. I was outraged when his Mom told me about this.

However, like Elisa said, it's such a touchy thing and I'm afraid that if I say anything, she'll take it out on my child (there's a huge list of other problems in this classroom). I plan to go to admin. when the year is out so that they know about what's gone on with this teacher. I'm so anxious for this year to end. For the record, I am VERY pro-teacher and am in awe of the job that most of them do day in and day out. This particular teacher used to teach middle school and switched to elementary a couple of years ago...she just needs to go back to middle school. I'm sure that her methods are fine for 6th graders.

This. I had that very thing happen to me when my youngest was in 3rd grade. Seriously, the teacher should be able to handle minor things herself not calling a parent at home. I can't tell you how many stories I have heard about the teacher taking stuff out on a kid. Be careful.
If you can ask the principal not to reveal which parent called in, for fear of retribution. She should not be on the phone during class.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I guess I am the only one who doesn't think it's a big deal. Especially not texting during standardized testing, gosh, proctoring is boring. I can see not wanting teachers of really young kids to do it, but middle school and up? I dunno, society is changing. People are more connected to their jobs on their personal time and vice versa. I've never worked somewhere that people didn't have cell phones on at work, and people generally answer them when it's convenient. Now, mid-lesson, that's probably not professional, but there are many times during a school day that I can imagine a teacher totally reasonably answering a cell phone. NBD.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissStepcut|1326384420|3101234 said:
I guess I am the only one who doesn't think it's a big deal. Especially not texting during standardized testing, gosh, proctoring is boring. I can see not wanting teachers of really young kids to do it, but middle school and up? I dunno, society is changing. People are more connected to their jobs on their personal time and vice versa. I've never worked somewhere that people didn't have cell phones on at work, and people generally answer them when it's convenient. Now, mid-lesson, that's probably not professional, but there are many times during a school day that I can imagine a teacher totally reasonably answering a cell phone. NBD.

Idk misStepcut, just because something is done (like talking on a cell phone at work) doesn't necessarily make it right. And I think there's a difference between taking a quick call at your desk in an office or in the back room of a store and having a conversation in front of a bunch of students with their eyes on you. Teachers are front and center all the time and it's just even more obvious that they're not really totally focused on their job. And since the kids aren't allowed to use their cell phones in class, I don't think the teacher should either.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1326388509|3101292 said:

Idk misStepcut, just because something is done (like talking on a cell phone at work) doesn't necessarily make it right. And I think there's a difference between taking a quick call at your desk in an office or in the back room of a store and having a conversation in front of a bunch of students with their eyes on you. Teachers are front and center all the time and it's just even more obvious that they're not really totally focused on their job. And since the kids aren't allowed to use their cell phones in class, I don't think the teacher should either.
My classroom experience wasn't all eyes on teacher, all the time, so I can imagine lots of times that it wouldn't be like that. I don't agree that the rules that apply to students should apply to teachers... and I am definitely shameless about my cell phone use at work! Work isn't afraid to communicate with me on my "off" time, and I'm not afraid to borrow a few minutes back.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissStepcut|1326391985|3101354 said:
junebug17|1326388509|3101292 said:

My classroom experience wasn't all eyes on teacher, all the time, so I can imagine lots of times that it wouldn't be like that. I don't agree that the rules that apply to students should apply to teachers... and I am definitely shameless about my cell phone use at work! Work isn't afraid to communicate with me on my "off" time, and I'm not afraid to borrow a few minutes back.

Ok, well, guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this because I don't share your opinion. I mean, when would a teacher even have an opportunity to talk on a phone? While the kids are taking a test? While they're doing busy work at their desks? I was a substitute teacher years ago for all age ranges - and even though I was just a sub I still had to fulfill certain goals for the day and I really can't recall being able to just hang out and chat for a bit on my cell, if cells had been around back then. I had a room full of kids staring at me! And oh my gosh, at the lower grade levels? I was never so busy in all my life, there was always something to do with those little kids, I was always "on".

And in this particular instance, I think a teacher should set an example to the kids by not using a cell phone.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maria D|1326376601|3101128 said:
I am a high school teacher who goes ballistic when a student's phone is evident in any way. I put on a big performance at the merest hint of a vibration, even if the phone is buried in a backpack. "What? You dare to receive text messages in MY CLASS? As if you don't need to give me EVERY SINGLE BIT of your UNDIVIDED ATTENTION! Do I not give you ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of my energy and talents each and every class???" Yes, I'm a drama queen in the classroom. So you can imagine the field day the kids would have if my own phone were to go off in class. In fact, I tell them the first day that if a phone rings or vibrates and it turns out to be mine, the entire class gets 20 bonus points on the next test. This means that I must remember to put the phone on silent before class starts each and every time, and that I never ever text or make a call during class. I expect the same from my students.

Our school policy is that students may not have electronic devices visible/audible during class, unless a teacher gives permission for use. They may use them between classes and at lunch. If a teacher sees or hears a device, they can take it away for the rest of the day. After one offense, the teacher may give it to admins who will then have a parent come and get the device. Very few teachers in my school adhere to this policy and that makes it super hard for those of us who do. When I ask a student to give up their phone (failure to comply can result in suspension) I am always told how most teachers don't care and in fact use their own phones during class themselves. Drives me crazy! How can we have this policy for the kids and not the teachers?

As far as I'm concerned, there is no need to take an emergency call during class. When is a classroom teacher going to immediately respond to an emergency? The emergency call can go through to the office who will then get the teacher on the PA. That's what we expect from our students -- that their parents call the office.

I would tell administration. You can just say that you understand from your daughter that teacher phone use is going on but not being in the classroom you don't know the full story, could they please investigate. Let them figure it out, it's their job.
Maria--I completely agree with your entire post.

I think it's completely unprofessional for a teacher to have her cell phone on or out during class. If there's an emergency, the front office can get in touch with the teacher via the PA, or someone running down to her classroom.

When I taught high school the policy called for teachers to take any cell phones, iPods, etc. that were visible during class time and turn them in to the dean. The dean would only relinquish the device to the parents once they came to pick them up. Many teachers just told the kids to put the phones away if they saw them, and then they'd complain that kids always had their phones on them. Me? I confiscated all devices I saw on the first day of class and turned them in to the dean after class. (With a trail of whining students following me down the hall!) But after that I never saw another phone or distracting device in my classroom.

It isn't brain surgery--kids will rise to your expectations. Or lower themselves down to them, if the case may be.

A teacher using a cell phone in class is sending the message that the class isn't her top priority, and does not have her undivided attention.

Oh, and while proctoring is one of the most mind-numbingly boring things you can do--using a cell phone during state standardized tests will void the students' scores if caught, in my state at least. We can't even read a newspaper or a book or anything during proctoring. They have reps from the testing association walking around to make sure every classroom is in compliance with the rules, and if a teacher is spotted reading or using a cell phone, those scores are voided for that group. Imagine the parent outrage if that happened in your school. The idea is that distracted proctors won't catch cheating students, which is of course probably true. (In my state the high schools administer a mandatory ACT during school hours for all juniors. Super fun for the teachers, let me tell you.)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I just remembered, I've been on the other side of this one:

One of my grad professors answered her cell phone during class all the time, and it irritated me to no end. She had children who were old enough to be home alone at night, but she'd answer their calls and have loud conversations about how to reheat whatever dinner she left for them, and she'd often make a joke out of it and look at the class and make faces while talking. It was completely unprofessional, and very out of character for my particular program since we were all educators and professionals who knew what a good teacher does and doesn't do in the classroom. Several of us spoke to her about it first, and when she didn't change her behavior, we complained to the dean. I don't think she ever taught at that school again. It was ridiculous. Either you can or you cannot handle the job. If you need to be reachable at all times, then don't take the job. Simple as that.

I think an office job is different, because you have work to do but you don't have a room full of other people's children for a set amount of time who need your attention. If you don't get the work done at your office job by a certain time, you can stay later to do it. That doesn't work with students, if you're distracted during class time, you can't keep everyone later to make up for it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's totally inappropriate except in an emergency, and if the teacher is answering her cel phone during class regularly it's either 1) not an emergency, or 2) something that may be a matter of some urgency, but for which he or she should make other arrangements.

Aside from the disruption and discourtesy to the students, the teacher is setting a terrible example for the students re appropriate use of cel phones.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would go straight to the principal to ensure that there's no retaliation against my child. The principal would also be able to tell you if there were mitigating circumstances.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with you Junebug. I think it's unprofessional to use your phone while children are in the room. If it's your planning time and no students are with you, that's one thing. If the kids are in the classroom and you put aside your teaching (or proctoring) responsibilities to text or make a call, that's just wrong.

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
It is interesting to hear the different perspectives from everybody. I am a young, third year teacher of an integrated third grade class, just so you know where I'm coming from.

Today was my first day ever to answer my cell in class. I had just given my students a guided practice assignment with a partner, and I knew my mom had gone to the emergency room earlier this morning, but didn't know exactly what was wrong. I have a very large classroom, with two large closets that I have turned into reading nooks and a small hallway leading out the back of our room. I stepped out, quickly took the call, and came back in. I had told my students I was expecting the call, and missed very little class time. I think it would have taken more class time from my students and have been more of a fuss if I had to run to the office to take the call.

I also look (read: NOT respond) to text messages if one pops up, because I have several students with special needs, and the parents frequently email me to let me know about changes needed throughout the day (medication, diet, etc.). Again, I think it would be more of an interruption to have our secretary buzz my room and either ask me to come to the office to retrieve my message or read the message aloud over the intercom. I guess I feel that checking a text from a parent is pretty equivalent to having email pulled up on your computer and checking it as needed.

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
Also, my class has been gifted with a lot of technological resources, which we use frequently in class. We have three laptops, six iPod touches, and five iPad2s. I also tell parents at the beginning of the year that students can bring their iPod touches and allow me to put audiobooks and other education apps that we use in class on them. Parents and students sign an "appropriate usage" agreement at the beginning of the school year, stating that electronics can be taken away and privileges can be revoked if there is inappropriate use. So I may be more laid back than most about the usage of electronics in the classroom.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, Snow_Miser, that's great that you have so much access to technology in the classroom. In my room, I have 7 mini laptops but they're pretty tempermental. Some days they work great but other days, I want to toss them out the window.

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
Zoe, don't get me wrong, I have worked hard to get all of the iPads/iPod touches that we have. I have gotten some through Donors Choose, some through grants or PD, and two iPads from presenting at conferences ( I didn't get paid, but hey, I got a school-owned iPad for use in my classroom).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe the teacher is texting the kids the lesson, since it's the only way anyone can reach kids these days.

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1326501348|3102501 said:
Maybe the teacher is texting the kids the lesson, since it's the only way anyone can reach kids these days.

Ha! It might be a more effective way to get them the material.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1326501348|3102501 said:

haha- but becoming more and more true these days :rolleyes:

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I think my little special needs school is maybe not the best school to reference in this matter, since it often requires us teachers to use our mobile phones. I've used up at least £12 of credit (without being reimbursed) when told to call parents to let them know school is closed due to heating problems or snow & ice, and I have been told to use my phone if I need to call for additional support in lessons when all the walkie-talkies have been taken (our classrooms don't have telephones). Also, my school sends out text message reminders (which I find rather invasive) about when we're having fundraisers, when reports are due, etc. I've asked for them to just send emails since I think it's inappropriate that the school texts me during lessons, but they continue to do so anyway.

So, yeah, my school is probably not the best example for this sort of thing. :cheeky:

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
When I taught my phone remained in my purse during instruction. I would check it during recess and lunch, but never answer it during classtime.

I'd tell the teacher you're concerns. Whether she denies it or not, if she is using her phone at inappropriate times knowing that kids are telling parents might inspire her to turn it off.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were absolutely not supposed to use cell phones when students were in the room. Necessary personal calls were to be done during our free time. I think any professional teacher would abide by that other than in an emergency. My family knew to call the main school number and to tell them it was an emergency if there really was one. Otherwise they could email me or leave a message to call them at my convenience.

That said, I would not mention it to the teacher. Too many possibilities of causing problems for the child inadvertently. Yenny's idea might be best...say something after the school year is over.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I see this often at my school. Not so much the talking stuff, but texting. All. The. Time. We do have cell phone policies which state that teachers should not be on their phone during teaching time (unless there is an emergency), but people do it, including the administrators! Drives me nuts!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results