shape
carat
color
clarity

attempt at stringing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock

eek. I was hoping my beading skills weren''t so rusty. I even did a practice strand of plastics. I should have practiced some more... but I was terribly impatient... now I have a not so well threaded pearl necklace... *sigh*

it does look pretty good though from far away
31.gif

kasrestring.JPG

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I have to apologize to jmtomaui because there are no beading projects in the background, therefore, if you can''t "judge the size properly", use your imagination...
41.gif
lol. I tried looking for them, but it seems I have them packed away somewhere. I thought about taking a picture of the necklace with one of my dreamcatcher gourds, but never got around to it.

kasrestringcloseup.JPG

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
32.gif
gah! I almost want to find a way to take that last picture off... the knots are bad, the spacing is... well... lets just say its not desired. I almost didn''t start this thread -but- I promised I would when I finished it. And good PSers post pics!!
16.gif
lol

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the two colors. You are so awesome Kas- so creative. I''m not there yet
2.gif
I barely know how to make a hemp/seashell necklace for the DH (that was fun though)

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 12:20:34 AM
Author: kas baby
32.gif
gah! I almost want to find a way to take that last picture off... the knots are bad, the spacing is... well... lets just say its not desired. I almost didn''t start this thread -but- I promised I would when I finished it. And good PSers post pics!!
16.gif
lol
No way!! I love that you posted your necklace! I''ve been thinking about trying my hand at stringing pearls too, and I watched a couple of videos on youtube. Intergem is coming my way in one week, and I''m going to try and get some pearls and silk thread. Did you use a double thickness of thread?

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really looks pretty good. I like the design you chose. I think that is great that you did it yourself and if it bothers you too much, you can always start over again!
3.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Awesome Kas! I love the color combination, and I think it looks great!

I think we all think people pay way more attention to our jewelery than they really do...I bet the only thing that people will be thinking when they take a look at that is
30.gif
30.gif

Beading is hard! Knotting between pearls...infinitely harder! You never realize how hard it is till you try yourself, and you did an awesome job of it!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 12:24:26 PM
Author: szh07
Awesome Kas! I love the color combination, and I think it looks great!

I think we all think people pay way more attention to our jewelery than they really do...I bet the only thing that people will be thinking when they take a look at that is
30.gif
30.gif

Beading is hard! Knotting between pearls...infinitely harder! You never realize how hard it is till you try yourself, and you did an awesome job of it!
I agree. Beading is an art form in itself. I have done beading a few times but have never attempted knotting in between pearls as I know it is not easy and you have to be incredibly patient in doing so! My hat is off to anyone who attempts it and has the patience to Master it!!!!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
thanks everyone for their extremely kind words!! I would definately have to agree that knotting between pearls is an art form. I will most certainly appreciate the next strand I purchase much much more knowing this.

as for my knotting skills.... the perfectionist in me and the impatient nature in me don''t always get along, lol!

the string I used is actually a braided fishing line, as suggested by jmtomaui who suggested "PowerPro". I don''t know what thickness jm uses, but mine is a 15lb fishing thread, which I''m guessing means it can the strain of up to a 15lb fish, however, it says it is a 4lb Test diameter, whatever that means! the brand is "SpiderWire"

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 8:59:18 PM
thanks everyone for their extremely kind words!! I would definately have to agree that knotting between pearls is an art form. I will most certainly appreciate the next strand I purchase much much more knowing this.

as for my knotting skills.... the perfectionist in me and the impatient nature in me don''t always get along, lol!

the string I used is actually a braided fishing line, as suggested by jmtomaui who suggested ''PowerPro''. I don''t know what thickness jm uses, but mine is a 15lb fishing thread, which I''m guessing means it can the strain of up to a 15lb fish, however, it says it is a 4lb Test diameter, whatever that means! the brand is ''SpiderWire''
Kas, I think you did a wonderful job! Keishi''s are very hard to knot as they are not round but have so many little dimples to them. It is difficult to place the knot against the pearl. And the others are right - you are very creative with an eye for what works well together.

Did you use a single strand of line? Or did you double the strand? I too most often use 15lb test and then double the thread. Did you use a simple overhand knot? Or do you knot with an awl? I use an overhand knot and then separate the strands and pull them tight against the pearl. This is why I use the braided line. It has enough slide to let me "move" the knot to be snug against the pearl.

I am like you in that I am too much of a perfectionist. I have cut apart many a necklace and restrung it if I did not like it the first time - ugh... I try to look at them objectively and realize that no one else sees what I see. And if they are so close that they can see the "less than perfect" knots then they are way TOO close and had better be my husband!

You are right that 15lb test can withhold the strain of a fish that size. The diameter is referrning to the fact that it is as thin as what would normally be a line about 1/3 the size.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I doubled the line and used the overhand knot. most of the time I would think that I was getting as close as I could to the pearl, then as soon as I would go to tighten, the pearl would slide or I'd lose my placing....

and thank you again to everyone for their comments- my pearls and I are blushing!
12.gif

ETA: I have never used a beading awl-- but they sound nifty and would like to learn!!!

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/9/2009 9:26:15 PM
I doubled the line and used the overhand knot. most of the time I would think that I was getting as close as I could to the pearl, then as soon as I would go to tighten, the pearl would slide or I''d lose my placing....

and thank you again to everyone for their comments- my pearls and I are blushing!
12.gif

ETA: I have never used a beading awl-- but they sound nifty and would like to learn!!!
I still blame my knotting skills (or lack of) on the keishi. The odd shapes with the concave and convex sides makes knotting difficult. Even when the knot is placed exactly where it should be, the curved edges will show the knots and cause some movement.

I wore mine yesterday and noticed again all of the places I''m not happy with my work... Oh well. The overall beauty of the pearls is what we all look at in the long run.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
"SpiderWire" does not knot well.
It is fairly stiff and it also grabs itself.
I tried it in a suncatcher project because I wanted the thinnest possible line for the strength.
It did not go well at all.
wetting it so it slides over itself helps but it is not the best.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
PowerPro is rated "Extremely limp"
Spiderwire is rated "somewhat stiff"
Huge difference.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/10/2009 10:13:11 AM
Author: strmrdr
PowerPro is rated ''Extremely limp''
Spiderwire is rated ''somewhat stiff''
Huge difference.
Thanks for the clarification Storm. I have not ever used Spiderware but did not expect there to be that much of difference... I never thought about the fact it would not slide easily. Most of my experience with fishing line was for fishing and did not think of the knotting properties.

What did you use in your suncatcher projects?

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/10/2009 10:07:25 AM
Author: strmrdr
''SpiderWire'' does not knot well.
It is fairly stiff and it also grabs itself.
I tried it in a suncatcher project because I wanted the thinnest possible line for the strength.
It did not go well at all.
wetting it so it slides over itself helps but it is not the best.
hmm, did not know that, thanks for the info!
37.gif
haha, I guess FI can go use it to fish in the pond out back!! lol!

eventually I''ll figure something out. I''ve got to re-string at least one of my other necklaces... I miss wearing it!
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results