shape
carat
color
clarity

At which ratio is a diamond still considered square?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I am looking for a square stone, and so far I''ve been trying to stick to a ratio of no more than 1.05, which still looks square to me. I was wondering when diamond is no longer considered square -- is there an official cut-off? I''ve looked at the shape selectors, but I don''t know if I''m being too picky with my cut-off. Would you consider diamonds with a 1.06 to 1.10 square?

Thanks!

reena

Ideal_Rock
hello,

i too am getting a cushion (at least i assume that's what you're looking at due to your name!) and i originally thought that i wanted a very square stone. as such i gave myself the same exact same cut off that you did--1:1.05. then my jeweler showed me a 1:1.1--i didn't even want to look at it, because i thought it would be too rectangular--but he thought the stone was gorgeous and strongly suggested that i take a look.

as it turns out it didn't look regtangular at all--it just looked a little "less square", if that makes any sense, and it was very brilliant (my jeweler tells me that if you go a little less square the stones tend to be more brilliant and look a little larger, but who knows). so im buying it tomorrow!
1.gif

point being, i'd take a look at a few in person to see what's too rectangular to your eye. i myself think i could probably handle anything under a 1:1.2.

good luck--and keep me posted on your cushion search!

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the tip. I've seen several, and after a while, I really can't tell if they are square or rectangle...That's why I'm hoping there's some "official" cut-off to go by. I re-posted in RT.

Thanks again!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
cushioncut- there is a fancy shape interactive tool on gemappraisers.com...you punch in the #s and it shows you how the stone will look! It's pretty cool. I don't think there is cushion, but you could play with the radiant to get an idea. Also, I've had 1:06 princess before and it looked perfectly square when set!

love rocks

Rough_Rock
Well, I'm not sure what my ratio is, but my cushion is SLIGHTLY longer on one side than the other, and I just had it set lengthwise, with the longest part perpendicular to the line of my finger, and it looks slightly larger, and also more square - so I think the way you set the stone can ameliorate the problem of a slightly rectangular-ish and make it look more square ... (does this make sense?)

Here to help!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results