shape
carat
color
clarity

At what point would you decide that a piece of jewelry was too expensive to wear out and about?

How expensive does a piece of jewelry need to be for you to think it is too expensive to wear?

• $1000 and over

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $5000 and over

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • $10,000 and over

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • $15,000 and over

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • $20,000 and over

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • $25,000 and over

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • $30,000 and over

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • $35,000 and over

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • $40,000 and over

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • $45,000 and over

• $50,000 and over

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • $60,000 and over

• $70,000 and over

• $80,000 and over

• $90,000 and over

• $100,000 and over

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I am happy to wear any value out and about. It doesn’t worry me.

Votes: 37 39.8%

• Total voters
If I’m going to be taking public transport / walking, I think my upper limit would be any jewelry that is in the range of 20-25k maybe. If I’m taking my own car to go to a party or something, any amount. So it really depends :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not just mugging. Not far from where we live, a family was murdered in a horrific home invasion as a consequence of the wife's being followed home from the grocery store because she looked like she was wealthy. One of the the 2 killers noticed her car, specifically, but it could just as easily have been jewelry. I have often shopped at that same grocery store. But it could happen anywhere. Conspicuous consumption carries risks.

:(2
Im so sad to read this
Stay safe everyone
be careful

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Im so sad to read this
Stay safe everyone
be careful

That is a very tragic incident & I'm shocked to hear that it happened so close to home for you. What is this world coming to that you can't even drive a decent car without arousing the interest of murdering thieves.So sad.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a very tragic incident & I'm shocked to hear that it happened so close to home for you. What is this world coming to that you can't even drive a decent car without arousing the interest of murdering thieves.So sad.

I think you ment to quote @pearlsngems

I think that would upset any neighbourhod

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not just mugging. Not far from where we live, a family was murdered in a horrific home invasion as a consequence of the wife's being followed home from the grocery store because she looked like she was wealthy. One of the the 2 killers noticed her car, specifically, but it could just as easily have been jewelry. I have often shopped at that same grocery store. But it could happen anywhere. Conspicuous consumption carries risks.

I think I know the crime you are writing about and it is the one that haunted me for a long time. Thinking of that poor family and her two daughters and the horrific murders. That was the impetus for me insisting we get a whole house alarm system complete with security cameras at our beach house. Til that happened I felt safe here. No one is safe, truly safe anywhere. Bad things happen and all we can do is take the best precautions we can at the time. And yes, being aware of our surroundings and the people all around us is critical but really one cannot ensure safety 100% of the time. Anyone can become a target for any reason. Bad things happen. That poor family stays in my thoughts. I see their faces still. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If im going to take this question serously id say i need a $100 option
i have lost a few too many nice bracletes over the years,

I once lost my favorite bracelet in Alaska while I was hiking. I wore it all the time (but for bed) and I adored that bracelet. I like to think it is in Alaska on that hiking trail enjoying the natural beauty all around. That's what I like to think.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do hope your trains are being cleaned really well right now

Thanks Daisy but it isn't cleanliness that concerns me. I mean yes, it's nice to have clean trains but that isn't the issue for me. Of course once the trains are filthy you know there are other more serious problems but clean trains don't ensure one's safety. We need more of a police presence on the trains and petty crimes like jumping the turnstiles etc need to be prosecuted. Petty crimes like these lead to bigger more violent crimes. We need protection from menacing people on the train. We need a police presence on the trains. Period. This is part of a much bigger issue with NYC in general. The city I love needs help. The country I love needs help. The pandemic is but one symptom of all that is going awry with our city and our country and dare I say world. I can only speak for this country right now. And the USA is ill in many ways. And I am looking forward to a better tomorrow. We will get there. I believe that in my heart. But first we need to elect the people who can work towards a brighter future.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s horrible.

My elderly Mom was mugged on the grounds of a posh hotel in Palm Springs when she was walking back to her room with her husband.
I think we tend to/like to believe that no one is watching us, but there are definitely predators among us, that’s reality.
The last thing I want to do is stand out from the crowd. I’m not paranoid, just prudent.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not paranoid, just prudent.

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 6.07.49 AM.png

JMO but yeah being paranoid isn't all bad. What's that other saying? Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me. :lol:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, any posts that are fear mongering or trying to justify fear based on the races of others in your vicinity will continue to be removed. Let's be clear that people of ALL races are both victims and perpetrators. Individuals do bad things, not an entire race.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m actually very excited about potential proliferation of lab diamonds - the larger and cheaper the better!!

I don’t look like a person of means, and my lifestyle is not that of a person with means - I don’t wear the clothes that a #TypicalPersonWhoOwnsValuableJewellery might wear, I don’t drive the car that a #TypicalPersonWhoOwnsValuableJewellery might drive, I don’t live in the house that a #TypicalPersonWhoOwnsValuableJewellery might buy, I don’t live in the neighborhood that a #TypicalPersonWhoOwnsValuableJewellery might live in, I don’t go to the restaurants and parties that a #TypicalPersonWhoOwnsValuableJewellery might frequent, I don’t take long and exotic vacations that a #TypicalPersonWhoOwnsValuableJewellery might enjoy - and I post nothing about anything on personal social media accounts.

Lab diamonds aren’t for me. But if seeing large diamonds become normalized... I’m more than happy for everyone to believe I’m just wearing inexpensive MMDs :appl:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, that was the one. :cry:

@Jimmianne, I'm so sorry to read this happened to your mother. My husband and I have both been mugged, and in my case injured in the process, but that was decades ago and we were younger and more resilient.

I am really careful about locking doors, whether in my car or at home. My late FIL used to do neither, and could not be persuaded that it wasn't safe.

I used to not hesitate to pop out to a store after dark, but now I think twice (I mean before the pandemic-- now I don't go shopping at all.) I have gray hair. I probably look like an easy target. Edited to add: Who am I kidding? I AM an easy target. :???:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m actually very excited about potential proliferation of lab diamonds - the larger and cheaper the better!!

I don’t look like a person of means, and my lifestyle is not that of a person with means - I don’t wear the clothes that a #TypicalPersonWhoOwnsValuableJewellery might wear, I don’t drive the car that a #TypicalPersonWhoOwnsValuableJewellery might drive, I don’t live in the house that a #TypicalPersonWhoOwnsValuableJewellery might buy, I don’t live in the neighborhood that a #TypicalPersonWhoOwnsValuableJewellery might live in, I don’t go to the restaurants and parties that a #TypicalPersonWhoOwnsValuableJewellery might frequent, I don’t take long and exotic vacations that a #TypicalPersonWhoOwnsValuableJewellery might enjoy - and I post nothing about anything on personal social media accounts.

Lab diamonds aren’t for me. But if seeing large diamonds become normalized... I’m more than happy for everyone to believe I’m just wearing inexpensive MMDs :appl:

Same! Except I’m not waiting on the proliferation of MMD’s to feel the effects. Cubic zirconias and moissanites have already added that layer of security for me. Only my loved ones and close friends and family know my diamond is real, but I think most strangers would assume it is fake given my causal attire.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must have missed the racial posts, pretty sure that most people here are aware that crappy people come in all colors. The home invasion referred to was a couple of white men, after all.

I am suspicious and careful by nature. I learned this in my youth, as someone whose looks drew attention and strange propositions. I do wear my engagement ring, I dont have anything more valuable than that. I believe that if someone targets younforma robbery, they're responding to more than the jewelry you're wearing. Saying a person was wearing too much jewelry is a great way to victim blame a woman, plus it conflicts with our understanding of crime.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be such an easy target. I guess I have to rethink this. The only caveat is that I really only go out in the daytime, and never alone. My city seems very safe. I don't travel and don't foresee myself traveling in the future. I have too many medical issues and appts.. Bah humbug.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should add that I don’t really feel safe wearing my Rolex on a daily basis, which is odd since I only paid a fraction compared to my Ering. But. I think a Rolex can attract the wrong people. Somehow my ring can pass for a fake but the rolex just screams the real deal to the wrong people!

Cristallo

Shiny_Rock
I think a Rolex can attract the wrong people. Somehow my ring can pass for a fake but the rolex just screams the real deal to the wrong people!
This is the main reason why I will not purchase a solid Rolex, Patek or AP watch for myself.

I feel extremely safe in Tokyo and would not hesitate to wear my most expensive pieces when taking the tube for example. I've seen countless Birkin and Kelly bags on the train, including rare crocodile ones. In the US I constantly look over my shoulder even though the suburb I live in is considered one of the safest and most affluent.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The personal safety issues im reading here make me sad and worried for you all
We don't live in a very affluent neighbourhod but in a nice enough part of town, but it one of the lesser streets
Just last night Gary and i were discussing all the electrical work we want to get done when i have a wage again and he wants a driveway alarm and sensor lights around the house
the other night he was lying in bed and swore he heard someone try all of the car doors
(car should be sleeping in garage ....)

Back in Wellington or garage was up the street a bit and we had it broken into twice so i guess the garage needs an alarm to
Just you know i remember a kinder more gentler time where one didn't have to lock every thing up like fort knox just to go to the shop for bread

one time my parents took us away for the weekend and forgot to close the front door
i don't know how long it was open for but alp friday night and some part of Saturday least till a policeman that lived in our street saw it and closed it

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
For me it is not about the price of a piece of jewelry that makes me worried about wearing it, but the flashiness level. Most of my jewelry isn't very flashy, even the expensive pieces, so I feel comfortable wearing them most places, but not all places.

If I take an Uber, for example, I'll hide my e-ring. If I visit a client's house that I don't know very well, I don't wear any diamonds, but instead wear a plain white gold wedding band and hoop earrings, or tiny pearl studs.

Pre-Covid I wore my e-ring to the grocery store, Home Depot, to walk the dog, etc. And I wore my studs to the gym. Now I don't go out much.

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea if my real-life acquaintances think my diamonds are real or fake. I have caught them looking at them. They try to be stealthy about it with sideways glances! I am always reminded of that photo of Sofia Loren sneaking a glance at Jane Mansfield's boobs.

I don't think I fit the typical mold of someone who owns top quality diamonds. I don't own an expensive purse or watch. I don't even own my own car, I share a Subaru with my DH. Our electronics are ancient and tiny. We do have a lovely home in a nice neighborhood, but it too is understated. Basically I spend money on jewelry, art, travel and classical music. My husband buys wine.

jayne-mansfield-and-sophia-loren-photograph-by-joe-shere-4773.jpeg

Last edited:

inne

Shiny_Rock
The most expensive thing I wear regularly for normal life was about $15,000 (good luck getting this thing off my summer-swollen fingers, muggers!). But I can't imagine a piece I wouldn't wear SOMEWHERE. Not every day and everywhere. I don't even wear my least expensive pieces every day or everywhere. But to a special event, a nice dinner, the symphony - that's what that stuff is for.

My dad has given my mom a few very special pieces over the years. Really gorgeous stuff that he picked because they are just exactly her style. Except she never ever wears them because she's scared they'll be ruined or stolen or lost. They just sit in a safe year after year. It makes me sad because he gave her these things out of such kindness and he was so excited about them and I know it disappoints him that she never gets any joy out of them. And it makes me sad that she's so paralyzed by her own fears that she is unable to experience the joy he intended. I do not want to be like that.

Last edited:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I live in a nice middle class suburb where I feel safe jogging at night wearing diamonds. However, I work in a rough neighborhood 40 minutes away, where there are car break-ins, car-jackings, muggings take place all the time, so I would say I try to be as understated as possible around my work area, and I actually rotate my ering palm side! This pandemic (and working at home) allows me to bling out more since I’m working from home! I voted for 20k because that is an amount I can afford to replace if I got mugged.....

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i want to enjoy my jewelry.

in fact, i intend, to extrapolate as much joy and delight, as humanly possible, in a jewelry piece. to me, that means wearing it, constantly. regardless, if i am asleep, if i am in pajamas at home, or if i am out and about.

they accompany me, in my day to day and through life.

i do not utilize public transportation or visit rough parts of town. my main means of transportation is my own vehicle.

the pieces i wear daily are insured.

i would begin to get concerned if i had a piece that was 500k

fortunately, i am not "burdened" with a jewelry piece at half a million. so im good :mrgreen2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The most expensive thing I wear for everyday life was about $15,000 (good luck getting this thing off my summer-swollen fingers, muggers!). But I can't imagine a piece I wouldn't wear SOMEWHERE. Not every day and everywhere. I don't even wear my least expensive pieces every day or everywhere. But to a special event, a nice dinner, the symphony - that's what that stuff is for.

My dad has given my mom a few very special pieces over the years. Really gorgeous stuff that he picked because they are just exactly her style. Except she never ever wears them because she's scared they'll be ruined or stolen or lost. They just sit in a safe year after year. It makes me sad because he gave her these things out of such kindness and he was so excited about them and I know it disappoints him that she never gets any joy out of them. And it makes me sad that she's so paralyzed by her own fears that she is unable to experience the joy he intended. I do not want to be like that.
This is too sad
Can your mum not start wearing them at dinner - just at home? At the other end of the dinner table from dad
or at weekend brealfast or Sunday afternoon- or movie night at home on the couch beside dad

I loose stuff chronically, so im weary wearing stuff out and about - but i sometimes just sit in front of the tv completly blinged out - just for myself

My mum was super careful about every thing, but she wore her rings everytime she went out

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
If im going to take this question serously id say i need a $100 option
i have lost a few too many nice bracletes over the years,

Point taken, although I don’t think I can edit the quiz after it’s up.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
I gotta show my ignorance here
is mugging the issue for most peeps ?

Not really, but I wouldn’t want to tempt someone if I was wearing jewellery that made me look like I was on the rich list. I would actually be more concerned that someone would realise that I was on the rich list and then try to kidnap my child or something like that. I say this because a rich list family actually went to my daughter‘s kindergarten. It was an interesting mix of people. Mainly middle class professionals with a smattering of people on the rich list. I Googled her name after I was blinded by the light being reflected from her MASSIVE diamond and sure enough, the family was on the rich list. I had never seen a diamond so large in real life until that day. She would have had to do extra reps at the gym/Pilates on her right arm to compensate for the weight of that rock.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Missy :mrgreen2:
What is Bruce doing in California? :lol:

No serously is your subway a bit grubby ?
We had trains so old in Wellington for so long but got these new Korean air conditioned things a few years back
i only ever took commuter services, i never went on the train alone at night but in Wellington the trains are still staffed by ticket collectors and they have cctv in the train and on all the stations
Our station was the only one of the line that was a bit isolated. We lived right on the boundary between Porirua and Wellington and one side was light industrial and the other residential but the track was in a cutting down by the stream without a carpark - i didn't really like getting off there alone in the dark (it had lights) there was an ally rather than street acess but also not many people got on or off at my station
Anyway i was always leaving stuff on the train - keys, phone, wallet, a bag of groceries - always got them back
But i would be worried about rings getting left behind - and yet on the odd day i went into town on a worker's train id see the office workers all sitting three in their finary

We lived up there one street back - becsuse it was so isolated it was always a target for vandels
The otherside had an equally spooky ally but at least was shorter and went out onto a main road and and the main driveway up through lots of spooky trees up to the local hospital

It looks so lovely and green.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
I think for me it’s not so much the value but the size that would determine if I wore a certain piece of jewelry.
For example I wouldn’t be comfortable wearing a diamond over 4 carats in size. I’m pretty sure I would never wear it because I would just be embarrassed. It could be a gift, inherited, a diamond I mined, etc., but I just wouldn’t feel right wearing it and I know I would either turn it around, hide it in my sleeves or just never put it on.
I would gladly wear a 2.5 carat D FL though. Which I’m sure would cost a pretty penny! Hand that baby over!

That makes a lot of sense. I shy away from wearing anything too big because of the attention factor, much as I enjoy looking at shiny pretties, when it comes to wearing them IRL there is a size limit for me. Of course my personal “too big” is someone else’s “on the small side” ;)2

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
We had a green mayor once
she caused a huge stink when the bike spaces weee already full on the train
when she took public transport the offical car and chuffee always followed here any way
Yeaterday it snowed real heavy (for us) down south and the PM had to drive to Dunedin because the airport was closed

These people forget quickly what its like to be the every man/ working man/ joe public

The people that run are commuter trains are now some French outfiot who are in Melbourne- they want to do away with the clickies - ticket collectors which would be to the detriment of not just public safety but also as a public service to out of town visitors, as i commuted aganist the flow i got to know alot of these people
Almost all of them wonderful people people who just loved their job often performed under alot of pressure
The Wellington commuter network is very beautuful - my line was through the tawa valley then up the coast, of peak services should be marketed to tourists,
the sunsets i saw over the years were postcard worthy

I do hope your trains are being cleaned really well right now

It’s a shame those people are going to be out of a job. I think I know the French company you are referring to, but not going into specifics here.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock

That is *awful* and very scary thing to have happen in your community.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results