shape
carat
color
clarity

At last a first ring project

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had the hardest time finding the right jeweler but I never found one that suited, in fact I''ve been looking on and off for 2 years but living where I do, it''s not that easy to find The One. I considered approaching one of the jewelers used here on PS but then found I''d have to pay an additional 20+ tax to import the finished piece into my own country.

A few weeks ago I stumbled onto the website of a local jeweler and thought yes this is the one! Luckily I didn''t see the notice on their website that said they don''t work with stones or metals supplied by the client and I emailed them and included information and pics of the 2 John Dyer Afghan Tourmalines I wanted to have set. Actually I only want one stone set but I hadn''t decided which one so I sent pics of both explaining the situation. I took the longest time over that email and it paid off.

JDAFGTMjpg.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
The next day I recieved a positive but cautious response saying that they thought my stones did look interesting, but wouldn''t guarantee to do the work until they had examined the stones. They also asked for brief which I kept quite open saying that I didn''t want a ring to be all rivets-and-screws looking. Some men''s rings look a bit like machine parts which is not what I wanted. So I made an appointment since I was going to be in Auckland for a week.

At our first meeting which I thought would be an "okay we''ll do it" (or maybe not) meeting, they showed me some designs to start the ball rolling.

These were the ideas on the first meeting and I immediately went for # 6

RDG Designs_2.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Then after seeing the stone in a makeshift gold bezel I have opted for # 3 here

It will be platinum and a gold bezel and the design detail in diamonds. I get to see the wax model on the 19th April.

RDG Design_3.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you like it. It''s interesting to see the different ideas illustrated.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Great designs! But is your designer okay with you posting his ideas on the internet?

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Great designs.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It''s a great design. I especially love the two-tone choice you made. Can''t wait to see the finished product!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2010 6:09:06 AM
Author: swingirl
Great designs! But is your designer okay with you posting his ideas on the internet?
Swing,
I wonder the same thing since it sounds like the designer is very particular?

Other than that, thank you for sharing your experience with us and the one you’ve chosen is something I would have myself if I were male.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s going to look really cool-I really like the 2 tone a lot. Glad you were able to find someone you click with for the project!

And um..I think I missed some tell tale posts at some point..I guess I always assumed you were female, I''m sorry! My unobservantness knows no bounds.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
The design you went for looks fantastic! I would love to see the finished product!

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Great choice! Add me to the list of people who would love to see updates as it progresses.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful stone and wonderful cut

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
i love the choice you made - beautiful design - especially the two-tone and diamond details - what a great designer

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I was just perusing John Dyer''s site this morning. We really don''t see enough of his gems here. As I''ve said before KL, you have gorgeous stones.

If the designer is half as good as constructing jewellery as he is in drawing jewellery, you will end up with a masterpiece.

Please let us follow along with the project.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s just what I''d pick as well, I''m sure it''ll turn out beautiful.

P. S. I agree on the "machine parts" comment, so true.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 6:09:06 AM
Author: swingirl

Thanks swingirl. I certainly asked for his permission to post his designs and he sent me the 2 pages I''ve posted here for that purpose.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I''m really pleased you think I''ve made a good choice! Thanks for the positive comments.

Packrat - yep, I''m male. You missed have missed my deep voice

After I had made the initial contact with them and we arranged an appointment I searched for more information about them and discovered they were in LA, having been invited to show a range of jewelery at a pre-oscar event at the Beverly Hills. I''m sure this would be a big deal for any jeweler but it''s great for a jeweler from so far afield. They''ve now been invited to show at a pre MTV awards function later in the year. I wondered if I hadn''t aimed a bit "high" but my concerns vanished when I went to their showroom.
Sorry, does this sound like shilling? (I had never heard that word until recently) it''s just that after such a long time looking for a jeweler I''m so pleased to at last be working with one!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 1:07:33 PM
Author: ma re
It''s just what I''d pick as well, I''m sure it''ll turn out beautiful.

P. S. I agree on the ''machine parts'' comment, so true.

There''s quite a trend for that industrial look and I think it can look great - just not my thing.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 1:32:14 PM
Author: klewis

Sorry, does this sound like shilling? (I had never heard that word until recently) it''s just that after such a long time looking for a jeweler I''m so pleased to at last be working with one!

It''s only shilling if you work for the jeweler in question, otherwise it''s a customer recommendation.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I''m really pleased you think I''ve made a good choice! Thanks for the positive comments.

After I had made the initial contact with them and we arranged an appointment I searched for more information about them and discovered they were in LA, having been invited to show a range of jewelery at a pre-oscar event at the Beverly Hills. I''m sure this would be a big deal for any jeweler but it''s great for a jeweler from so far afield. They''ve now been invited to show at a pre MTV awards function later in the year. I wondered if I hadn''t aimed a bit ''high'' but my concerns vanished when I went to their showroom.
Heck, this is the kind of schilling we like. Who is this jeweller?

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 1:34:52 PM
Author: Gailey

After I had made the initial contact with them and we arranged an appointment I searched for more information about them and discovered they were in LA, having been invited to show a range of jewelery at a pre-oscar event at the Beverly Hills. I''m sure this would be a big deal for any jeweler but it''s great for a jeweler from so far afield. They''ve now been invited to show at a pre MTV awards function later in the year. I wondered if I hadn''t aimed a bit ''high'' but my concerns vanished when I went to their showroom.

Heck, this is the kind of schilling we like. Who is this jeweller?

They are RDG (Robinson Design Goldsmiths) A father and identical twin sons team.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love your stones and the design you picked is amazing (I really like #2 from the first page too). I can't wait to see how it turns out :)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
WOW. I love the designs and your gems. I can''t wait to see the completed work!!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 6:47:59 PM
Author: Burberrygirl
I love your stones and the design you picked is amazing (I really like #2 from the first page too). I can''t wait to see how it turns out :)

Burberry girl- Yes, that has a deco look to it. I liked # 3 on that page but with the stone set east/west.
Thanks again everyone for the good comments, I will keep you posted with the progress.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
klewis, these are all fantastic designs and I really love the one you chose.

I am impressed that your jeweller came up with such original and interesting designs, from what sounds like rather minimal direction, kwim?.

Thank you for finding and posting about them, I thoroughly enjoyed perusing their site - whoever does the designs is a fantastic artist, and the real work looks like it lives up to the sketching.
I can't wait to see how your project progresses
36.gif
I just wish they were in Aus, ha ha
2.gif

I hope you don't mind me asking, but considering they seem quite "high end" what with the US showings etc, do you mind to share your impressions on their pricing / quoting? (Please disregard if you would prefer not to of course)
5.gif

cheers,
aj

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 3:34:18 AM
Author: arjunajane

I am impressed that your jeweller came up with such original and interesting designs, from what sounds like rather minimal direction, kwim?.

Thank you for finding and posting about them, I thoroughly enjoyed perusing their site - whoever does the designs is a fantastic artist, and the real work looks like it lives up to the sketching.

I can''t wait to see how your project progresses
36.gif
2.gif

I hope you don''t mind me asking, but considering they seem quite ''high end'' what with the US showings etc, do you mind to share your impressions on their pricing / quoting? (Please disregard if you would prefer not to of course)
5.gif

cheers,

aj

Hi Ajunajane (I love your name btw, is there a story behind it?)

They have a range of jewellery, some of which are on their website, which is based on often seen tattoo designs and I think it has been translated into jewellery very well.
I had a budget for this ring and had I stuck with gold as I had originally planned, then their price would have been within my budget. I went for platinum so it is a little over my budget . I think their pricing is reasonable and more or less what you might expect to pay here.

Funny you should mention my vague direction because just months previously, with a different jeweller I hasten to add, I had arranged to send a brief for a design and that jewller said they would have some designs in a week. After a full month had passed with not a peep from them I couldn''t bear to wait any longer and contacted them again. Their reply was that after seeing my brief they put it into the too-hard-basket and forgot to get back but would be happy to do something along the lines of.....etc
6.gif
29.gif
Needless to say I replied telling them that they must think I was mad if they thought I was going to give them my money when they hadn''t a flicker of enthusiasm or even an original idea. Again, that was not RDG who are making this ring for me. So yes, perhaps I was a little vague this time

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I googled that designer-they have some nice pieces! I love when people find new places to look at!

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 5:35:49 AM

Date: 3/26/2010 3:34:18 AM
Author: arjunajane

I can''t wait to see how your project progresses
36.gif
2.gif

I hope you don''t mind me asking, but considering they seem quite ''high end'' what with the US showings etc, do you mind to share your impressions on their pricing / quoting? (Please disregard if you would prefer not to of course)
5.gif

cheers,

aj

They have a range of jewellery, some of which are on their website, which is based on often seen tattoo designs and I think it has been translated into jewellery very well.
I had a budget for this ring and had I stuck with gold as I had originally planned, then their price would have been within my budget. I went for platinum so it is a little over my budget . I think their pricing is reasonable and more or less what you might expect to pay here.

Funny you should mention my vague direction because just months previously, with a different jeweller I hasten to add, I had arranged to send a brief for a design and that jewller said they would have some designs in a week. After a full month had passed with not a peep from them I couldn''t bear to wait any longer and contacted them again. Their reply was that after seeing my brief they put it into the too-hard-basket and forgot to get back but would be happy to do something along the lines of.....etc
6.gif
29.gif
Needless to say I replied telling them that they must think I was mad if they thought I was going to give them my money when they hadn''t a flicker of enthusiasm or even an original idea. Again, that was not RDG who are making this ring for me. So yes, perhaps I was a little vague this time
Haha! I don''t know what''s worse...the fact that they HAVE this basket or the fact that they told you about it!!

Either way, it looks like you made the right decision with your new jeweller..I can''t wait to see the final product!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 5:35:49 AM

6.gif
29.gif

Hey there klewis
35.gif

Thankyou for the compliment on the name - I prefer not to explain it''s personal significance, but Arjuna (wiki link) has a rich and interesting story behind him if you have a minute
5.gif

I did see the tattoo designs and jewellery, and I agree it has been pulled off tastefully and definitely to what appears a very high standard. Their "art" collection sure was fun to check out.
I ask about budget, as I''ve struggled to find decent jewellers locally (I''m in West Australia) or even in the Eastern states who are both creative/original and not exorbitantly priced. Therefore I always end up having my stuff made in the US, however I''ve constantly got my ears perked for closer talent
2.gif

When the time comes for a suitable project I would love to make contact with RDG, so thank you for bringing them to our attention.

I chuckled at your story on the ''other jeweller'' as this is all too often the familiar and crappy case isn''t it? I can''t actually say I''m surprised they outright told you they were chucking you in the "too hard" pile - it seems NZ and AU have in common that we lack consistent professionals in this trade, unfortunately. Sounds though like they did you a favour as now you have found RDG, and I''m sure you will end up with a fabulous ring.
5.gif

My comment about your vague direction wasn''t intended as a criticism at all by the way, I hope you know! Rather, I was saying how impressed I was that the jeweller made such an effort to have a variety of well finished designs ready for your first meeting, and they managed to nail your taste etc. This kind of enthusiasm from and synergy with a jeweller is quite rare, so I agree with the comments above - if the ring turns out as good as the sketch than you are on to a great thing!

Please make sure to keep us updated along the way, I''m really looking forward to this one - have they proposed a time frame as yet?

cheers
aj
1.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What cool designs and stones! I''ve often looked at JD cuts and would love to see one in real life. I can''t wait to see the finished ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results