carat
color
clarity

At last a first ring project

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 10:18:16 AM
Author: packrat
I googled that designer-they have some nice pieces! I love when people find new places to look at!

I can''t believe I hadn''t found them earlier than I did with all the googleing for NZ jewellers I had been doing.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 10:21:19 AM
Author: sparklyheart

Haha! I don''t know what''s worse...the fact that they HAVE this basket or the fact that they told you about it!!

Either way, it looks like you made the right decision with your new jeweller..I can''t wait to see the final product!!

thought the same thing. How strange to admit they had such a thing

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 11:15:43 AM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 3/26/2010 5:35:49 AM

Author: klewis

Hi Ajunajane (I love your name btw, is there a story behind it?)

They have a range of jewellery, some of which are on their website, which is based on often seen tattoo designs and I think it has been translated into jewellery very well.

I had a budget for this ring and had I stuck with gold as I had originally planned, then their price would have been within my budget. I went for platinum so it is a little over my budget . I think their pricing is reasonable and more or less what you might expect to pay here.

Funny you should mention my vague direction because just months previously, with a different jeweller I hasten to add, I had arranged to send a brief for a design and that jewller said they would have some designs in a week. After a full month had passed with not a peep from them I couldn't bear to wait any longer and contacted them again. Their reply was that after seeing my brief they put it into the too-hard-basket and forgot to get back but would be happy to do something along the lines of.....etc
6.gif
29.gif
Needless to say I replied telling them that they must think I was mad if they thought I was going to give them my money when they hadn't a flicker of enthusiasm or even an original idea. Again, that was not RDG who are making this ring for me. So yes, perhaps I was a little vague this time

Hey there klewis

35.gif

Thankyou for the compliment on the name - I prefer not to explain it's personal significance, but Arjuna (wiki link) has a rich and interesting story behind him if you have a minute
5.gif

I did see the tattoo designs and jewellery, and I agree it has been pulled off tastefully and definitely to what appears a very high standard. Their 'art' collection sure was fun to check out.

I ask about budget, as I've struggled to find decent jewellers locally (I'm in West Australia) or even in the Eastern states who are both creative/original and not exorbitantly priced. Therefore I always end up having my stuff made in the US, however I've constantly got my ears perked for closer talent
2.gif

When the time comes for a suitable project I would love to make contact with RDG, so thank you for bringing them to our attention.

I chuckled at your story on the 'other jeweller' as this is all too often the familiar and crappy case isn't it? I can't actually say I'm surprised they outright told you they were chucking you in the 'too hard' pile - it seems NZ and AU have in common that we lack consistent professionals in this trade, unfortunately. Sounds though like they did you a favour as now you have found RDG, and I'm sure you will end up with a fabulous ring.
5.gif

My comment about your vague direction wasn't intended as a criticism at all by the way, I hope you know! Rather, I was saying how impressed I was that the jeweller made such an effort to have a variety of well finished designs ready for your first meeting, and they managed to nail your taste etc. This kind of enthusiasm from and synergy with a jeweller is quite rare, so I agree with the comments above - if the ring turns out as good as the sketch than you are on to a great thing!

Please make sure to keep us updated along the way, I'm really looking forward to this one - have they proposed a time frame as yet?

cheers

aj
1.gif

I did know a little about Ajuna but I have always envisaged a comic book heroine saving the world from destruction when I think of your screen name.
I didn't take your 'vague direction' comment as a criticism so so problem there.
1.gif

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 10:18:16 AM
Author: packrat
I googled that designer-they have some nice pieces! I love when people find new places to look at!

Their showroom is not huge but lots of goodies to ogle. I have never seen Mali Garnets incorporated into jewellery and they had some eye-popping Malis set as a pair of drop earrings of, if I remember correctly, 4 square cut stones each piece and an unset matching Mali of about 4 carats (I''m guessing there). They were very impressive.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Arjunajane and Swingirl- sorry for consistently misspelling your names. I will now put the R in Arjuna and leave out the G in Swin.
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 1:42:06 PM

I did know a little about Ajuna but I have always envisaged a comic book heroine saving the world from destruction when I think of your screen name.

I didn''t take your ''vague direction'' comment as a criticism so so problem there.

1.gif

hey klewis - I only just saw this post...came back to see if any updates
31.gif

I am happy for you to continue with that image invoked by my SN, I like that idea! Maybe saving the world from bad gems / jewellery instead..? ha ha
9.gif
36.gif

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
An update with a couple of pics of the wax.

klrdg1.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
and with the bezel

klrdg2.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
and another. The tourmaline looks just great in the bezel - sorry no pic of that. It''s due to be cast about now and I''m so looking forward to seeing it in the platinum. We have decided to line the inside of the shank with a gold sleeve.

klrdg3.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Stunning design, and thank you for sharing the creation process and pictures with us.
35.gif

BTW, I'm guessing that most of the time a client supplies stones or metals for a project, it isn't something a high end jeweler would want their name on. Clearly your first class stone is in a different league, and it is great that they are working with you.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I''m really looking forward to seeing your completed ring! I love the tourmaline, and I really love the design you chose. I love yellow gold and blue gems, especially bright blues.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
It''ll be a stunning ring!

Your stone is so gorgeous - John Dyer is such an amazing artist & I would love to own one of his fantastic creations some day...
Are you going to set the other J.D. masterpiece as well (eventually)?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Verrrry lovely! I love the one you chose!
30.gif
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, I certainly look forward to seeing the end result!
36.gif

-A

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful story. Your stones are lovely and I am anxious to see the finished project. It looks like they will do a terrific job for you.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2010 5:56:45 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Stunning design, and thank you for sharing the creation process and pictures with us.
35.gif

BTW, I''m guessing that most of the time a client supplies stones or metals for a project, it isn''t something a high end jeweler would want their name on. Clearly your first class stone is in a different league, and it is great that they are working with you.

Thanks FlyGirl, I''m happy to share the process. They don''t work on projects where the client supplies their own stone but in my intial approach to them, I did go on ( and on) about the stone''s quality. Incidentally, they''ll be attending the Las Vegas gem and jewellery show where John Dyer will be exhibiting (if that''s the right word) I have arranged an email introduction and so they will see more of John''s work.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks IndyLady. Now that I have seen the stone in the bezel I am pleased I chose the yellow gold to frame the stone.

Date: 4/24/2010 6:27:55 PM
Author: virgoruby

Your stone is so gorgeous - John Dyer is such an amazing artist & I would love to own one of his fantastic creations some day...

Well If I do get it set it won''t be for a while. Mike has done some preliminary drawings for another ring for my SO which would be using a beautiful spessartite a bought from Richard Wise. The design is along the lines of a phoenix rising from the ashes.
6.gif

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian & marcyc - thanks
1.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
klewis, I''m glad you posted the update-I was thinking of this project earlier and wondering how it was going. Looking forward to the finished product!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Klewis,
I must have missed this thread when you opened it. Congrats on getting your stone set. I''m really looking forward to the final product! Nice designs!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Packrat & TL- I''ll post more pics as I get them.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
can''t wait for the final photos :) the waxes look great

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/24/2010 6:55:49 PM

Well If I do get it set it won''t be for a while. Mike has done some preliminary drawings for another ring for my SO which would be using a beautiful spessartite a bought from Richard Wise. The design is along the lines of a phoenix rising from the ashes.
6.gif

Your SO''s ring sounds unique & fab, though I can''t quite visualise the design... would love to see pics when it''s done.
2.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Looks great so far.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2010 5:48:29 AM
Date: 4/24/2010 6:55:49 PM

6.gif

Your SO''s ring sounds unique & fab, though I can''t quite visualise the design... would love to see pics when it''s done.
2.gif

Actually I can''t quite imagine it either and we haven''t seen any designs at this stage. I shouldn''t have said ''rising from the ashes'' because I don''t think anyone mentioned anything about ''rising from the ashes'' - sounds dramatic though. When I went to their workshop to view the wax for my ring, Mike said then he had started some sketches for this Phoenix ring - a design he''d wanted to do before we showed him the spessartite.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Maevie & Oddoneout.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
At last a couple of photos of the finished ring. I got to see it last month and John send me some pics he took. The tourmaline hasn''t photographed very true to colour, it is looking decidedly more green than it is but I''m very grateful for his pics.
I''m so happy with the finished piece but I still don''t have it in my hot little hand because I decided I would save the 12.5% on the cost by collecting it as I leave the country at the end of the month. This is a legitimate way of avoiding the usual GST (goods and services tax).
31.gif

I hope you like it too.

DSC01094.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
and again

DSC01096.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
and finally.

RDGJD!.jpg

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
This is a really wonderful ring! You can just see the quality and the workmanship in the photos. You must be really happy with it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome ring. Astonishing workmanship on that bezel, the channel set diamonds, everything!! I hope we can see hand shots some time soon!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results