shape
carat
color
clarity

Assuming this checks out to make me a 3 stone ring....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1328056888|3115978 said:
Maybe this has already been mentioned and I missed it, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating... but can the chip/scratch be polished out? Would BGD do that? Not sure if that spoils the integrity of the cut or the stone by purchasing an old cut then using modern interventions after?

I will ask, Enerchi, thanks. I emailed Ari at Singlestone, but haven't heard back yet in terms of making an appt there as well.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:
Enerchi|1328056888|3115978 said:
Maybe this has already been mentioned and I missed it, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating... but can the chip/scratch be polished out? Would BGD do that? Not sure if that spoils the integrity of the cut or the stone by purchasing an old cut then using modern interventions after?

I will ask, Enerchi, thanks. I emailed Ari at Singlestone, but haven't heard back yet in terms of making an appt there as well.

Great if it could be done and its still in the affordable range - $$$ wise, since then you'dstill have the 'deal' you hoped for and (perhaps) better looking stones than you thought! That would be great if it is "do-able" (and it sure seems like almost anything is, within reason...) because I think it would really take away any negative thoughts about keeping/not keeping, if these diamonds are now just as perfect as you'd envisioned.

Hope you hear back soon (or maybe a second reminder email might be warranted?) ;)) ;))

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Ari's usually pretty good about emails, so maybe that one slipped thru. Try emailing Heather: [email protected] and let her know you'd like to make an appointment for a repolishing consultation due to a chip on the diamond.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1328058226|3115997 said:
Ari's usually pretty good about emails, so maybe that one slipped thru. Try emailing Heather: [email protected] and let her know you'd like to make an appointment for a repolishing consultation due to a chip on the diamond.

I just sent it today, so I'll call tomorrow if I don't hear from them. Thanks FK!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1328063065|3116071 said:

I just sent it today, so I'll call tomorrow if I don't hear from them. Thanks FK!
Tgal, their fb page says their email and server are down and they hope to have things up and running soon just an fyi.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1328132681|3116703 said:
TravelingGal|1328063065|3116071 said:

Tgal, their fb page says their email and server are down and they hope to have things up and running soon just an fyi.

Thanks Skippy!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the chips don't affect durability and if you can't see them I wouldn't risk a repolish. Risk is low but still there, KWIM?

Honker... indeed for $4500 you could get a rock close to 1.7ct ;)) Just sayin' .

ETA: But I need to read my own posts. A three stone like you plan will have WAY more hand presence than a 1.7ct. There is simply no comparison in my experience. So three stone is a great way to go. I may follow ;)) You know I adore three stone rings. Always have.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1328133426|3116714 said:
If the chips don't affect durability and if you can't see them I wouldn't risk a repolish. Risk is low but still there, KWIM?

Honker... indeed for $4500 you could get a rock close to 1.7ct ;)) Just sayin' .

ETA: But I need to read my own posts. A three stone like you plan will have WAY more hand presence than a 1.7ct. There is simply no comparison in my experience. So three stone is a great way to go. I may follow ;)) You know I adore three stone rings. Always have.

Dreamer, all I've ever known (as far as your bling dreams) has been you've wanted a 3 stone!

Hm interesting to know that you think a 3 stone will have more presence. I may go totally blingtastic and pair it with a band made out of the .15s. :naughty: I mean, I *am* turning 40...I feel sure you can more sparkly with age.... :rodent:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I spoke to Ari, and made an appointment. Thanks everyone!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey all,

OK, here's the results of my meetings this morning...

Patrick Davis:
Very nice person, detailed, and it was a fun appraisal. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), my pad ring went first and we spent 45+ minutes of the hour appointment talking about it!!! He then ran late for me and appraised the brooch.

In his estimation:

center 1.05, I/J (he put J as his "final answer"). 6.2mm. he called it early old european cut. There were no chips, but those things I saw were feathers, one reached the surface. It does not impact the stability of the stone. Clarity rating then, is a SI2.

Sides, .5 each, old european cut. One was a G color, and one an I color. SI1-SI2. Said all stones were nice stones.

Brooch - verified platinum, but the pin part was replaced and is WG (My husband totally called that last night when he looked at it...said it was not original!) The bigger small stones are ten pointers. 178 (about) rose cut melee.

Patrick said the piece was 1920, pre-deco (nouveau) and authethic. He said it was in great condition and noted that antique brooches often are for the reason that Coati said...that even then, they did not wear them that much. It was straight on, worn for a bit, then right back in the box. Basically it is in pristine condition and he believes it's been kept in a vault somewhere because it's nearly 100 years old and great shape.

He also said it would cost a fortune to replicate today, and would be extremely labor intensive.

Estimated wholesale for the entire thing was in the 7K range, with retail at 8-10K. He is appraising it at over $9,000 (I think, if I remember correctly). He asked what I paid for it ($4350) and when I told him, threw up his hands in the air and just said "There you go." He said I got a "great" deal (I thought appraisers never said that? ::) ) on it, and when I told him I had to make a decision on returning it today, to which he said, "Well, I wouldn't return it."

I really liked Patrick, and just loved how he seemed to enjoy educating his clients. Lovely experience.

OK, on to Singlestone....
It was the first time for me meeting Ari and Heather (actually, I may have met her before, but I can't remember...how terrible!), and to no surprise, they were lovely.

In Ari's opinion, it was warmer than a J (the center). He did show me many loose stones in different colors, and I have to say, mine faced up whiter than the J's he showed me and a LOT whiter than the Ks and Ls. He also said he thought it would be under a carat (measured it at 6-6.1 as he guess after measuring the bezel too), but it would be worst case .95 and best case 1.05. So he thinks probably a carat is right.

He also thought the sides would be slightly smaller than .5, but again, I have .4 ACA earrings and these face up noticeably bigger. So I think .5 is probably a fair guess.

Ari also agreed the setting was authentic and there was a lot of money in the setting. He said that if he were to be asked to produce such a piece today, he would charge 5 to 6 thousand, and that was without ANY of the three larger stones. He also confirmed within a few minutes that he had a buyer (dealer) for the brooch without the stones and could get me $1000 for the setting with the three stones. Taking the smaller stones to make a band would render the brooch worthless (just scrap) in terms of value.

Which nets the 3 stones at $3350. Ari said I wouldn't be able to get close to stones like this at that price retail (I'm sure ebay is another matter ;)) ), and said the brooch was definitely worth the money I paid.

Singlestone had a 3 stone bezel/milgrain platinum setting for $2800. With the $1000 he could get me for the setting (and who knows...it could be more if given time), that brings the setting down to $1800 (obviously my diamond investment would still be $4350). He showed me rings for around the total price of those two things to see what it could get me, and while all pretty, nothing was quite what I was looking at if I put this ring together myself (in terms of what sang to me.)

Since he showed me lots of stones in different colors and cuts, I have to say, I really like the three stones in this brooch. I thought I would be an OEC girl (because Ari said this was Old Mine vs OEC. Patrick said "early OEC" when I asked him if they were OMB, and I wasn't about the argue with the guy with all the plaques on his wall! :cheeky: ) but I really like the cut of this stone. Ari think OMB looks better in larger stones and OEC in smaller, but I just love the disco ball and large flashes this one puts out. But it was great to get a comparison. He also showed me .5 OEC stones that were F color, and it was $3000 retail for the pair.

When I mused about taking an original piece apart, both Patrick and Ari said if I don't wear brooches, then there's my answer. And of course, if I only take out the three stones, the brooch would probably live on mostly intact. I also have no desire to find a private buyer myself, even though that could potentially net me a lot more. Ari said I could spend a few hundred on replacement stones and make more money back. I have neither the time nor energy. ::)

Heather took photos of the CZ/silver 3 stone sample that has stones in it almost exactly the specs of my stones, so once she emails that to me, I will post it here. I took a photo with a band and liked the look (although not exactly the two I had on together) .

For bling factor, I gotta say, I loved it. :bigsmile:

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
great recap. sooo- what are you going to do??

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome feedback, thanks TravellingGal!

So, what does that leave you, in terms of your decision? are you keeping and setting in a 3 stone as per your initial plan, or are you doing something else?

It does seem like a great deal - but its only a deal if you love love LOVE it and want to proceed with what makes you the happiest....

What are you thinking????

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Take the 3 stones and sell the brooch to Ari!!! (can you get a little more out of it?)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1328221864|3117676 said:
Take the 3 stones and sell the brooch to Ari!!! (can you get a little more out of it?)

that is what I would do if I wouldn't wear or want a brooch :D come back :cheeky:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1328133960|3116719 said:

Dreamer, all I've ever known (as far as your bling dreams) has been you've wanted a 3 stone!

Hm interesting to know that you think a 3 stone will have more presence. I may go totally blingtastic and pair it with a band made out of the .15s. :naughty: I mean, I *am* turning 40...I feel sure you can more sparkly with age.... :rodent:

As you know I own and wear a garland style half eternity with 30s and 10s, and that has convinced me that if bling or hand presence is the goal, then more smaller stones kicks the butt of fewer bigger diamonds. Unless you are talking about 2ct plus, a solitaire cannot compare. There, it even rhymes.

I admit, your quest has me thinking about side stones for my OEC. I was not thinking about it because a three stone looks a little too similar to my Aurora band, but maybe I don't care. The heart wants what it wants!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock

I would do this as well!! Please post pics of the 3-stone you get from SS...so excited for you! :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1328222118|3117681 said:

that is what I would do if I wouldn't wear or want a brooch :D come back :cheeky:

YES!!

And great recap. Your center diamond sounds like a twin of mine in terms of specs, but I think mine is a later OEC with a smaller culet and likely "better" symmetry. But same color and size. And so in the words of the great Fortekitty, then, yours is probably under 1ct too! haha. But who cares. It is a nice size. And you have half carat sides? Well then I might just copy your ring one day 8)

Do you plean to wear this as a e-ring or an a RHR?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1328223195|3117699 said:
TravelingGal|1328133960|3116719 said:

As you know I own and wear a garland style half eternity with 30s and 10s, and that has convinced me that if bling or hand presence is the goal, then more smaller stones kicks the butt of fewer bigger diamonds. Unless you are talking about 2ct plus, a solitaire cannot compare. There, it even rhymes.

I admit, your quest has me thinking about side stones for my OEC. I was not thinking about it because a three stone looks a little too similar to my Aurora band, but maybe I don't care. The heart wants what it wants!

Dreamer, you're an ebay maven. Take the fact that the setting is authetic out of it. What do you think of 3 stones, that match (although Ari said they are different in style and if it were up to him, he'd use the "same" stones), look very pretty, and appear white for $3300 (assuming I can get the $1000 for the setting). Bird in hand? Because I have a few people telling me I can go way bigger for that amount. I don't need to go bigger, but I'm interested in knowing whether my three stones are good for what I paid. The appraiser thinks so, and Ari thinks so.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1328223929|3117722 said:
Skippy|1328222118|3117681 said:

YES!!

And great recap. Your center diamond sounds like a twin of mine in terms of specs, but I think mine is a later OEC with a smaller culet and likely "better" symmetry. But same color and size. And so in the words of the great Fortekitty, then, yours is probably under 1ct too! haha. But who cares. It is a nice size. And you have half carat sides? Well then I might just copy your ring one day 8)

Do you plean to wear this as a e-ring or an a RHR?

RHR....my ering/wedding set will never change, and that's a promise. :)

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
TravelingGal|1328224107|3117724 said:
I don't need to go bigger, but I'm interested in knowing whether my three stones are good for what I paid. The appraiser thinks so, and Ari thinks so.

If you love the stones and don't need to go bigger, then have the ring made, and sell the brooch. I'd use those stones for a 3-stone, easy. You can always find bigger or different stones on ebay for bargains, but if you love these, and want to get on with it, then...

Good luck with your decision! Not easy.

I really like Patrick. Glad you had a good experience with him.

eta: I think the 3 stones are a definitely a good price for what you paid...esp if you love them. The whole bargain-basement-ebay-steals thing will always be there...if you have the time to hunt or interest.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
coatimundi|1328225378|3117745 said:
I don't need to go bigger, but I'm interested in knowing whether my three stones are good for what I paid. The appraiser thinks so, and Ari thinks so.

If you love the stones and don't need to go bigger, then have the ring made, and sell the brooch. I'd use those stones for a 3-stone, easy. You can always find bigger or different stones on ebay for bargains, but if you love these, and want to get on with it, then...

Yes! It is crapshoot out there! Look at the other thread bright ice has and what happened w/the ebay stone she had bought. You love those stones.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1328226005|3117757 said:

Yes! It is crap shoot out there! Look at the other thread bright ice has and what happened w/the ebay stone she had bought. You love those stones.

Didn't see it, off to look.

Coati, here's the thing. Over the course of my YEARS here on PS, I haven't upgraded. The only expensive project I did was for the birth of my daughter and that ring was built over the course of nearly two years. Now this is for the 40th birthday. I simply don't buy diamonds or go into big projects willy nilly. It's either a 3 stone, or a bigger diamond for the foreseeable future (like, next 10 years!) And TGuy prefers the 3 stone idea. The size ho and deal finder in me thinks...big stone for $4300 might be better. Of course, anything under 2 carat wouldn't do, so hahahaha to me, eh? :cheeky:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1328226238|3117766 said:

Yes! It is crap shoot out there! Look at the other thread bright ice has and what happened w/the ebay stone she had bought. You love those stones.

Coati, here's the thing. Over the course of my YEARS here on PS, I haven't upgraded. The only expensive project I did was for the birth of my daughter and that ring was built over the course of nearly two years. Now this is for the 40th birthday. I simply don't buy diamonds or go into big projects willy nilly. It's either a 3 stone, or a bigger diamond for the foreseeable future (like, next 10 years!) And TGuy prefers the 3 stone idea. The size ho and deal finder in me thinks...big stone for $4300 might be better. Of course, anything under 2 carat wouldn't do, so hahahaha to me, eh? :cheeky:

HI:

You have always expressed "supreme" happiness with your ER. :bigsmile: I know this is PS, but that is not a bad thing. It is GOOD to love/want what you have; elusive 'round here, no? :saint: If it isn't broken don't fix it.

Everyone likes a deal, but I don't see you driven by the "cheapest". You already appear to be miles ahead in terms of finding a period piece that might yield what you want. Spending more time looking for needles might yield you, needles.

I look forward to your decision. Funny, you always seem to do "the right" thing! :halo:

cheers--Sharon

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Ah I see... :Up_to_something:

Well, you are talking to another size ho/deal finder, so I get it. I thought you wanted the size of the brooch stones, but now I understand. haha
And, since this is for your 40th, well, if it were me, I'd be going for the gold, meaning...a biggun, but that's just me. :devil: ...and I'd take that biggun, and make a killer huge 3 stone. In essence? I'd return the brooch.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1328226870|3117781 said:

HI:

You have always expressed "supreme" happiness with your ER. :bigsmile: I know this is PS, but that is not a bad thing. It is GOOD to love/want what you have; elusive 'round here, no? :saint: If it isn't broken don't fix it.

Everyone likes a deal, but I don't see you driven by the "cheapest". You already appear to be miles ahead in terms of finding a period piece that might yield what you want. Spending more time looking for needles might yield you, needles.

I look forward to your decision. Funny, you always seem to do "the right" thing! :halo:

cheers--Sharon

LOL Sharon...coming from someone who I think is very well grounded, I will take that is a huge compliment. :wink2:

Yes, I love my ering. Will never change it. Even looking at it yesterday when TGuy and I were looking at the brooch, it makes my heart go pitter pat. Or maybe it's the love that I know is associated with it, who knows.

But now with this new project, I can take the emotion of an engagement out of it. Why is it that it somehow makes it all more confounding? lol.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
coatimundi|1328226971|3117784 said:

Ah I see... :Up_to_something:

Well, you are talking to another size ho/deal finder, so I get it. I thought you wanted this size, but now I understand. haha
And, since this is for your 40th, well, if it were me, I'd be going for the gold, meaning...a biggun, but that's just me. :devil: ...and I'd take that biggun, and make a killer huge 3 stone. In essence? I'd return the brooch.

I wanted this size for a 3 stone (or maybe a bit bigger, but that would mean piecing it together again). I would not try to find a monster stone and make a 3 stone. Maybe I'm crazy (and not a real PSer) but ack...there is a thing as "too big" for me!!!

If TGuy's opinion matters, he preferred the 3 stone idea (in something in the size of what I have in the brooch) vs big rock idea. He likes the sentiment behind 3 stone. He doesn't like wife just wearing a big rock because he thinks someone will chop my finger off in LA...hehehe.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
haha ok-ok I get you now. 3 stone vs. honker...or honker-esque. I'll stop projecting now. :cheeky: (I have honker 3 stones on my mind...um always)

I like the sentiment of a 3 stone, because it's a lovely reflection of your family. Plus, you already have a solitaire, so it's different. I think this thread is compelling, because it's a tough decision to make. I also echo Sharon's sentiment about looking for a needle and finding...needles, or er, a bunch of splintery hay. It doesn't always work out. Anyway-good luck...again!! I love these stones, and you definitely got them for a good price.

Now, have you bonded with the stones? Would it be hard to part with them?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, for 1K ... I might hold onto that amazing genuine antique brooch -- either to eventually fill in w/colored stones & wear.... OR ... in case you tire of the three-stone ring. You could rebuild it to nearly "original" shape & sell for 9K +++ (maybe more at auction).

I know it's a lot of $$. But think about it at least!

Did Ari make you an offer for the whole brooch? If you DO decide you want bigger stones ... flip it to him & begin again?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1328228473|3117804 said:
Honestly, for 1K ... I might hold onto that amazing genuine antique brooch -- either to eventually fill in w/colored stones & wear.... OR ... in case you tire of the three-stone ring. You could rebuild it to nearly "original" shape & sell for 9K +++ (maybe more at auction).

I know it's a lot of $$. But think about it at least!

Did Ari make you an offer for the whole brooch? If you DO decide you want bigger stones ... flip it to him & begin again?

He said one option was to flip it for a couple of thousand more, then start all over. He didn't offer to buy it at a higher price, no.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
coatimundi|1328227625|3117794 said:
haha ok-ok I get you now. 3 stone vs. honker...or honker-esque. I'll stop projecting now. :cheeky: (I have honker 3 stones on my mind...um always)

I like the sentiment of a 3 stone, because it's a lovely reflection of your family. Plus, you already have a solitaire, so it's different. I think this thread is compelling, because it's a tough decision to make. I also echo Sharon's sentiment about looking for a needle and finding...needles, or er, a bunch of splintery hay. It doesn't always work out. Anyway-good luck...again!! I love these stones, and you definitely got them for a good price.

Now, have you bonded with the stones? Would it be hard to part with them?

Coati:

Three stone ring from the brooch now = awesome.

In 10 years, remove the 2 side stones and make earrings for Amelia = way to go! (close to 16th BD present, forgive me if my dates are a bit off)

Coinciding with another milestone BD find 2 matching stones for the centre, and have honkeresque 3 stone ring = priceless.

All win? :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results