shape
carat
color
clarity

Assistance in purchasing a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

smoe

Rough_Rock
Need help in an estimate of a specific diamond. Approximately 0.9 carat, VVS and F.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I looked in my crystal ball and decided if your birth day is an odd number you should buy it.
It would kinda help if you gave us some info, like $'s and does it have a cert?
We are all helpful but we are not mind readers. It will also help if you read the tutorial and see what things like certs are.
garry

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Smoe, I agree with Garry.The answer can be simple or complex depending on how much you want to learn and time to spend.Simple version (you don't want to learn much): if you like the stone and comfortable with jeweler - go for it. You also might want to take the diamond to independent appraiser to check whether it's as represented and worth the money.Advanced version. First of all there shouldn't be any "Approximately". You should know exactly the weight, color and clarity. Otherwise, it is difficult to compare prices. For instance, 0.92 VS1 F princess can cost $4,000-$4,500 while 0.89 VS2 F - only $3,000-$3,500.Does the diamond have any grading report? From which lab? What are the proportions - table, depth? All this information is important when evaluating the diamond.Learn as much as possible. There is plenty of education available in the internet including tutorial on this site. Use AGA cut grading charts to evaluate the cut grade. For princess: www.gemappraisers.com/chrt4.htm Ask jeweler more questions based on what you've learn. Check what StevL and Garry recommend to ask jewelers: https://www.pricescope.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000267.html And of course shop around and compare more diamonds. Chose the one you like the best.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
He is a nice guy, that Leonid
smile.gif

smoe

Rough_Rock
It's apparent I don't have the details needed to give a precise price on this diamond. I went ahead and tried to get more info from the seller and this is what I have finaly received. Hope this is enough.carat 0.92
measurement 5.48 X 5.40 (square)
clarity VS1
color F
No Fl
Girdle - thn to thk
then I have two values indicating G/G (I imagine these are polish/symmetry). Perhaps you can confirm.
AND finally I have 72/76 which I believe to be te table and depth. But I don't know which value is for which one. Again, I don't know if you can figure more out from this.I realize this is frustrating, but I don't have much of an idea. Thank you in advance.This is GIA certified. Is there a site on the web that can give me more details if I have te GIA number? Back to my original question, how much do you think I should be paying for this diamond? How much would be in the Rapaport report?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Smoe, table and depth are not so bad, within 2B AGA class. Although it is better to keep them below 70%. Square proportions of the diamond are a plus.As for price indication, 0.92-F-VS1-61.8%-65%-GIA Princes is listed in the internet for $4246Rapaport price for this range is $5700/carat i.e. $5244 for 0.92 carat. However, it is not recommended to use these prices when buying retail because they didn't reflect the quality of the cut. Besides, you can find much better prices than indicated in Rapaport report.

smoe

Rough_Rock
I realize I didn't give you all the info. It is a princess cut, and the cut is very good. Should I be looking at anything elsde or asking any other questions? Please let me know what I should be paying and what is a bargain. The seller is stating it is a great deal and I am not sure I believe him.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
smoe,Well, with the info you have given us you could be in the just under 3,000 to over 5,500. As you can see the cut can make a large difference in price.The GIA report should at least give you the table and depth percentage. Can you post those?------------------
StevL
www.demsjewelers.com
www.eightstar.com

smoe

Rough_Rock
yes I, once again, apologize for the lack of information. Being most of you don't have the crystal ball, here is the remainder info. It is GIA certified diamond and it's a very good cut, hence I don't really know what the table and depth are. From, my understanding, the depth, table, measurements all are included when rating the cut. This is what I know, how much should I be paying? It is exactly a 0.92 carat. Thank you again and a thousand apologies for the lack of info.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Smoe, no problem
smile.gif
GIA grading report helps a lot. You also didn't specify whether the clarity VS1 or VS2."Very good" cut is something undetermined without proportions since there is no commonly used cut grading system for fancy shapes. GIA report should show total depth and table size %.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results