shape
carat
color
clarity

assistance between two online options. THANK YOU

anglesversereality

Rough_Rock
First I would like to thank everyone who has/is about to help me.

For the past 3 weeks I've studied diamonds heavily but still struggle finding good answers for diamonds that are close "perfect" and not absolutely "perfect." Online many websites give you the "perfect" dimensions/diamond and then you talk to gemologist with the online shop and they say its GIA excellent cut in reality you won't see the difference between a few .1-.3 degrees in a PA or 0.5-1.5 degrees in a CA (which I don't fully buy - I've seen the variability in a GIA EX x3). I'm better with analogies so I will stick with that. I realize that for measurement on a GIA/AGS report there is a range, for simplicity sake lets use school grades, so an A grade can be a A+, A, or A-. Thus an A- in the H color would be pretty close to an B+ I color, compared to a A+ H verses a B- I color.

I also know given what she would like (~ 1.7 ct, VS2+, H color, GIA EX x3, strong fluro at most) I'm not gonna get an A+ cut diamond for ~12k. And even thought I'm totally optics >> size, I am okay with not getting the "perfect" diamond for me, if it is perfect for her. But after saving for a year and a half, and since this is a forever ring, I would really like to try and get an A over an A-. I know the members on this forum are extremely helpful but to not waste any of your time, I'm limited to a well known online retailer that doesn't provide images because there is a setting she adores - She'd would take a good/very good cut diamond and this setting over a Perfect as can be diamond and some of the other halos out there.

So after that very long intro, the question is which diamond would you pick, and will the differences in cut make a noticeable real life difference. Also, and I'm not trying to be snobby at all I PROMISE, but I would prefer if really those who have seen a lot of diamonds provide feedback. I say this because I know people will jump at the HCA scores, and I know I'm not getting perfect and I know (= read on here and other reviews) the HCA tends to slightly favor shallower cut over steeper cut. I guess put another way, the people who have had hundreds of diamonds go through their hands will know the angles, know when there will be light loss on an ideal scope, but also know when that light loss really doesn't make a difference, and when customers start to notice. It is precisely this knowledge/experience I need; as i feel stuck between the perfectionist websites recs (which I can't afford) and the over-realistics on the phone (i want to give her an A over an A- if I can).

Diamond 1 (I will try to upload the charts)
GIA# 1225662099 http://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1225662099
HCA score of 4.0 due to a steep deep CA35.5/PA41 depth of 62.4 - I know good old gold did a trial where they showed light loos under the table with 35/41 on ideal scope but no real naked eye changes.
VS1 with a small crystal on the table, and a couple other point pints on lower girdles -clean plot
middle of the AGS 1 for cut on this https://www.americangemsociety.org/Content/uploads/85481435071929.pdf
middle of GIA excellent on this: http://www.gia.edu/cut-grading-charts-booklets
AGA 1B
flouro - verified no over white/milky, etc. from vendor and online seller

Diamond 2
GIA# 2237040979 http://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2237040979
HCA of 1.9
CA 36/PA 40.6 depth of 62.1
VS2 - a pretty large group of crystals and clouds clustered on table
Just on the edge of AGS 0
actually on the edge of GIA excellent - i found this interesting given they are more broad then AGS.
AGA 1 B
Vendor will verify if "eye clean" and if there is milky or haze from fluro tomorrow.

unfortunately neither of these are A+, but they are about as good as I've found for the angles within ~1k of the price about anywhere even using price scope not just this vendor. Also diamond 2 is about 300 dollars more. So which diamond would you pick and really how big of a difference would you expect. Would this be something you feel an expert would pick up? What about someone with it on their finger, in a halo, not comparing it side by side?

Thank you very much again for your help, I know this would be so much easier if I had another 3k, and images for optical symmetry and an ideal scope. I just want to try to get her the best.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neither without an idealscope image. But if I had to chose then #2 as long as the fluorescence isn't having negative effect (ask vendor to have gemologist check). The other one is too big a risk without idealscope or ASET.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked if the setting is available from (or can be replicated by) other PS-recommended vendors?

For me, I am a clarity whore :bigsmile: so I would need to verify that the inclusions under the tables are not visible in day-to-day wear.

If they are invisible from a foot away and do not affect how clear the stone looks or impact on light performance, I would go with the 1.9HCA stone.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which online retailer and which setting? Please let us know so we could search for alternatives for you. I would definitely not consider stone #1 and #2 is still risky, but a better option than the first.

anglesversereality

Rough_Rock
it is blue nile.

Also diamond 2 is not eye clean so I ruled that out.

The setting is http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-...ngagement-ring_50575?elem=title&track=product

I'd be looking for a something between 1.65-1.7, H color (can't really do I color, some of the "recently bought" look really bad with the platinum and then higher quality setting stones), cut would be GIA triple ex, clarity I'd be okay doing an SI, but it would have to be a very strategic inclusion in SI (I'm also worried about SI with flouro) and eye clean. I'm trying to do this with a raw stone cost of <12,250 - thus the issues as better optics cost more. I've regularly seen more fluro options as it brings down the cost. strong fluro or less is okay, I like it it makes diamonds unique. She has seen good old golds video on fluro and is fine with it as well.

The simple answer would be drop down to a 1.55 or 1.6 but when I lightly inquired about this the response was (she was being matter of fact and not snotty) - when I look at my peers' rings (she is in medicine in a field where appearance matters - think like dentists' need white teeth type of thing, so some of her peers have 30K+ rings) I notice size and color but I've never gone "hey that ring is more sparkly than the others." so she is okay with less than ideal optics (no pun intended).

Plus 1.7 is special for her.....

so that is where I am at. Again thank you all for the help.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so, to be matter of fact....I don't recommend you go with that setting from BN. That halo has an airline that is not very attractive and the pave quality is questionable. Look up Victor Canera Emilya halo on here or google to see how the halo is done tightly around the center stone, which is honestly a much nicer look. VC will be over your budget but I very highly recommend ID Jewelry, Brilliantly Engaged or David Klass who could make you that exact setting. IDJ and BE could source you an amazing center stone, too (not sure if DK does that), also providing you with light return images so you know what you're getting.

If you insist on buying from BN, these are the stones I recommend:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD07123436 (this stone is also listed on another site with all images and the ASET looks great for the color and clarity you're getting https://enchanteddiamonds.com/#diamond=R167-29Z140560

This one has similar specs but I can't find images for it - maybe Yekutiel at IDJ could source it for you:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD07308280

And a very well cut I color should not look yellow - you see tint from the side, not face up. So if you are putting this stone in a halo, it is a very good option and could get you more size, which is what your gf seems to be most after and will save you a few dollars to put towards a nicer halo.
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD07353080

anglesversereality

Rough_Rock
Thank you again very much.

The Victor Canera Emilya halo sure is beautiful.

So for the setting, we have actually seen it in person (though in oval not round) and she likes that one. the gap doesn't appear that noticeable in person - it's definitely not a floating halo. Plus blue nile has lifetime warranted and will replace any of the pave stones that fall out for free (you pay just for shipping to them), workmanship, replacement stones, and return shipping they cover. I didn't see that on any of the jewelers mentioned. So I'm probably going to stick with blue nile.

of the stones i'm definitely considering the first.

Thank you very much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results