shape
carat
color
clarity

Asschers: IDJ diamonds vs. AV moissanite

Which would you choose for a 5-stone band?

• 30 pointer (~3.75mm) mined diamonds, hand picked by Yekutiel (1.5 ctw)

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • 5mm (~.75 ct) AV moissanite asschers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EarlyBirdAsscher

Rough_Rock
All right, so help me out. I'm shopping for an anniversary band and keep waffling between the fabulous cut of the AV stones vs. the lurking desire to have diamonds instead of moissanite. Some days I'm convinced that the moissy will be a gloriously beautiful ring in its own right and that the fact that the stones aren't diamonds is nothing to be embarrassed about. Other days I think that if this is my one shot at getting a fancy ring then I should go diamonds, even if smaller and not the gorgeous Yoram (that I can't afford) or AV cuts.

Then there's the size question. Most days I'm sure I can rock the big look (I've tried on some 2.0ctw rounds which should be close to the size of the moissy); I'm not a timid person. Then I start to wonder if it would really just look too big; I want to look classy and appropriate. Yesterday I tried on a 1.25 ctw which would be closer to the size of the .30s and part of me thinks it's plenty big. But then I compared it on diamdb.com with the 5mm and found it disappointingly small. In any event, if the stones are .30s, will it even matter that they're not AV cut since they're small? My ring size is 6.25/6.5, so the 30 pointers wouldn't quite cover the top of my finger. The 5mm stones would, but would they bother my neighboring fingers? I plan to wear the ring alone as an RHR.

Thoughts? I've been in my own head too long over this and, as is often the case, no one in my entourage has the PS perspective and knowledge of the vendors and other issues. I'd love to hear how other people would weigh the size, cut, and material variables.

I should mention that I've already reached out to both Yekutiel and Jonathan and both have been extremely gracious. I just need help figuring out what I want. I did a thread a while ago as I was starting to sort through options, and now I'm interested in what a poll might reveal.

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 3.34.57 PM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm shopping for an anniversary band and keep waffling between the fabulous cut of the AV stones vs. the lurking desire to have diamonds instead of moissanite

This is ofc personal opinion and there is no right or wrong but for an anniversary band I choose real diamonds hand picked by Yekutiel. Be clear exactly what you want and you should get a dream band. And from what you wrote above I feel you want diamonds. I will add Jonathan's AV moissy stones are gorgeous but if you want diamonds you should get diamonds for your anniversary band. Save the AV moissy for another occasion. And remember no right or wrong. Just what works best for you. Good luck and happy anniversary!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You cannot go wrong. Both are great. But I agree with @missy that it sounds like you truly want diamonds. In that case, go for it! You won't regret either choice, except if you go with moissy when you really want diamond.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want diamonds but have moissanite budget (I know that feeling :lol:) you could consider Man Made Diamonds?

EarlyBirdAsscher

Rough_Rock
AV also sells man made diamonds I believe

Yes, but not smaller than 5mm in the asscher cut, which would be roughly 3.75 ctw. Though I have stretched my budget since I last communicated with Jonathan, so maybe I should reach out again.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'd be in safe hands with Jonathon and he is very accommodating, as I understand it, so do drop him another line to discuss options! :)

There are a few MMD vendors - there's a thread with a list of potential vendors in the Lab Grown section of the forum that might be of assistance, but you'd have to start a thread over there to discuss MMD stones! lol

EarlyBirdAsscher

Rough_Rock
Do I really want diamonds, or do I want to be told I don't need to want diamonds?

Q

Queenie60

For an anniversary band I would go with mined diamonds. It's too special of a piece to cut corners. Just my opinion. However, if you go with moissy or man made, I would recommend Jonathan.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also would go with mined diamonds for an anniversary band...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results