shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher vs. princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

redsiren

Rough_Rock
I have been wanting a princess cut forever, but have recently been looking at Asscher cuts. Before, I never really took them time to glance at Asschers, but I''m really starting to love the way they look. What are the big differences between Asschers and Princesses when it comes to price and choosing a proper cut and stone? I''ve also read that an asscher tends to look smaller than the princess (assuming they are the same carat weight)--is this true? (i like big stones--is a princess a better investment for size?)

coarchitect

Rough_Rock
if size is the major issue, i'd say go for the princess. asschers are beautiful, but you are right that a well cut asscher is going to be smaller than a princess of the same weight. if you want more info on asscher do a search on this site.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
A diamond cutter once told us that the "only reason to manufacture a princess cut diamond is because there was nothing else that could be done with the rough..." and from what we've seen in most princess cuts we'd have to agree that this must have been the case because so many of them are cut poorly... All table facet with very little crown height, this is why we don't carry very many of them in our inventory, we rarely find one that puts a smile on our faces. A well cut Asscher may face up smaller, but only when the princess has been cut shallow / spread in which case it shouldn't have been cut at all
2.gif

redsiren

Rough_Rock
"if you want more info on asscher do a search on this site."

I did that previously to posting. The information was overwhelming and regardless of looking through many posts, I didn't feel as though I found a thorough answer to the questions I wanted to ask.

What is the difference between Asschers and Princesses when it comes to price? Are asschers relatively more expensive? I read before that they were, but when comparing it didn't seem so. I just wasn't sure.

"A well cut Asscher may face up smaller, but only when the princess has been cut shallow / spread in which case it shouldn't have been cut at all"

This is reassuring. Does anyone have any other opinions on asschers vs. princess appearance (same carat weight)?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Gosh. They're such completely different looks.

An emerald is cheaper than a princess is cheaper than a Royal Asscher. I suspect, though, that anything marketed as an asscher is going to be a bit more than a comparable princess just because of the dubious cachet, even if that asscher is badly cut.

It's not easy choosing a good princess, but it's also really hard choosing a good asscher, especially if you're trying for that authentic hexagon look.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results