shape
carat
color
clarity

asscher vs. cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bluepetal

Rough_Rock
Which sizes up better? Additionally, should you go for a higher color/cut in an asscher as compared to cushion. For example should I not go lower then an E VVS1 in asscher but an F VS2 in cushion. Thanks in advance!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Asschers tend to be very deep, so you don't get as good of a spread for the carat weight. Modern cushions can be incredible--you get an interesting cut with character and good spread for the weight with incredible sparkle.

Check out this beauty:

MMM's cushion

In truth, both are beautiful cuts...look at good examples of both and decide which you like better.
1.gif

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/30/2004 11:30:17 PM
Author:bluepetal
Which sizes up better? Additionally, should you go for a higher color/cut in an asscher as compared to cushion. For example should I not go lower then an E VVS1 in asscher but an F VS2 in cushion. Thanks in advance!
Asschers tend to be cut with deeper proportions, hence they will not face up as large as other shapes.

Re: color - anything down to H will generally face up white. For a lot of people G-H is the sweet spot. There are some abberations to this, there are others who are extremely sensitive to the difference in color and would prefer that sparkly colorless diamond - hence they go for higher color. There are others who are OK even preferring I-J colors, as they are not as color sensitive or are choosing stones with some fluoro (which will bring the price of the diamond in question down a notch) to compensate for the lower color.

Keep in mind that other shaped stones other than RB will show the body color more readily than RBs.

Re: clarity, it''s true that getting a VVS stone means that you will have a clean stone, you will find here on PS, posters who have gotten I1 stones that are eye clean as well! So I personally don''t think the nomenclature (VVS, VS) is as important as ensuring that the stone is eye-clean..

Due to the nature of step cut, it is probably more difficult to ensure the eye-clean-ness of an Asscher. So make sure that whichever vendor you work with is willing to lend you their eyes, so to speak, to ensure that the stone you''re choosing is eye-clean.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results