shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher table size?

pkrakowski

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
Preparing to buy an Asscher-cut diamond for an e-ring. I've resigned myself to getting screwed on the price since i'm in a bit of a time-crunch and am paying retail. That said, i really do want to make sure i get a nice stone and don't want to be a complete sucker. I've done as much research as time has permitted online, with a few books, and on this forum but am still questioning what the ideal depth/table size are for an asscher. I've read from low 60s to 70 or more for table, and have heard that some dealers push larger table sizes since they sacrifice less ct weight. Here are the specs of a stone i am thinking of buying-- the table seems a bit large, and when i viewed it the stone appeared a bit glassy if that makes any sense:

Price: USD11,135.00
Measurements: 5.93 x 5.82 x 3.95 mm
Carat Weight: 1.31 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VS1
Depth: 67.8%
Table: 67%
Girdle: Thick to Very Thick
Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

Also-- i'm obviously new at this and am going mostly based on what i've read rather than what i've experienced. When i was inspecting the stone, i noted some inclusions that were visible when viewing from below the stone (i.e. from the pavilion up through the table); the dealer stated that they assessed clarity based on a top-down view (i.e. from the table down) only; that didn't sound right to me, but again-- i'm new at this. Would appreciate any thoughts!
PK

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The smaller the better, honestly. A large table can have a glassy stone as a side effect. Check the crown height. We say that above 10% is good. But honestly the asscher's I've liked (including my own) all have crown heights of over 14%. If the table is big then the crown might be low... which means a glassy stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results