shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Reset Advice/Questions, please

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My K asscher is in a SK solitaire which have I enjoyed for the past year but now am ready for a change.
My local bench is a perfectionist - [& he just won a major award at the Tucson Gem Show]. He is going to make the new setting. I will have preliminary CADs to share in a week or so, but right now I have some basic questions prior to meeting with him again and I would appreciate your input:

Platinum, unplated 18k, or yellow gold. Which would go better with a K? My stone faces up white, but looks warm in certain lighting.
So far all my rings are white metal.
What color melee/baguettes for a K?

I am planning to have fat little tapered baguettes in the 4 corners.
Can I buy sets of small french cut diamonds &/or french cut graduated baguettes directly?

and last, should I bezel or prong? This will be my every day, everywhere RHR.

Sorry for all the questions at once!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne, I cannot answer all your questions but here are my thoughts as I read your post.

Platinum is my choice of metal for your gorgeous asscher.
Match the melee to the K color. I don't love the contrast between a lower color main stone and the melee though others here embrace it this is my personal aesthetic opinion.
Contact Grace or Caysie or Erica about purchasing the french cut diamonds directly. They might have something in stock.
Not sure about the bezel or prong. I need to see a picture of the setting you are thinking about. What does Tony think? I would trust his judgment if you are not sure.

What fun! Tony will create a gorgeous setting for your diamond. Of that have no doubt! :appl:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Missy : )
Tony said bezel and I was not sure if it would affect performance. I dived into that huge bezel thread this morning and am liking the idea more.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1459251266|4012478 said:
Thanks, Missy : )
Tony said bezel and I was not sure if it would affect performance. I dived into that huge bezel thread this morning and am liking the idea more.

Yes I get that concern. I love a beautiful antique bezel but would worry about the performance too since our antique stones are not cut with ideal parameters. If Tony can somehow make sure that bezeling it would not affect it's light performance I would go for it. :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum for me, always! K is not all that tinted, and I like the contrast anyway. I have very recently asked the same question about sidestone color with a K step cut, and I was told to go with around H color. Smaller stones look different anyway, so the goal kind of is to not go too white. H-I is fine.

You need to let your ring maker source the small stones. Sometimes the french cuts need to be custom cut to fit the design. And if he orders some and they don't fit, then he deals with it. I would not source them myself.

I am not sure about bezel versus prong. You probably saw my EC sapphire was set in a bezel and I love it! But I am not sure about a diamond.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Missy and DS.

This custom route brings out my inner micromanager.

Having him source the stones is a lot easier - and it's good what you both said about platinum. Helps me decide. I want to be really happy with this reset.

DS I love your new ring. It is beautiful in every way.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my CAD for the top of my asscher reset.

The width of the ring is 10mm, and the halo is very slightly angled down.
I want this to be a strong and simple design: a 24/7 right hand stacking ring for home and travel. The black parts of the halo are plain polished metal. We have talked about added onyx or engraving in those spaces. I thought onyx might clash with my bands. I wanted to forego melee so the ring would be simple, but I can't help but think I will wish I had added more embellishment after the ring is done. The shank & basket will be plain. Any thoughts?
cindy.jpg
img_3866.jpg img_3867_0.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Believe it or not, my ring is still in production, but I do have updated photos of the ring which is almost finished. Just at the time we started my ring my bench started working on earrings for the next Tuscon competition and I told him to take care of that first.
All that needs to be done is the cutting of the onyx bars and it will be done!
I really like it and am excited that I do like it so much. Very comfortable as well, which was a relief.
[I know the pics are sort of awful. lol]
img_5820.jpg img_5821_0.jpg

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, wow! Your design is stunning, exactly my taste too. I can't wait to see finished pictures!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Jimmianne, that is going to be so gorgeous! I love the deco design!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been away and did not see this until today. It's gorgeous and I can't wait to see it completed!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone!
I really appreciate your positive responses. It makes the whole thing more fun.
I'll post photos when I get it - hopefully next week.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results