shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher questions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Howdy all,

Got a few questions I need to ask before I make an important decision!
34.gif

1. I have size 4 hands - will a 9mm asscher look "too big"? or would 7mm be reasonable. (that is only choices I have) an drawn towards larger stone but worried it will look tacky!

2. Do radiant cut sparkle more than Asscher cuts? Have already got a 2.3ct radiant Danburite and it sparkles like mad. Am worried I will be disappointed when I get my asscher cut.

3. Can you bezal Danburite? I know it''s 7-7.5 Mohs so it''s softer than usual e-ring stones but I''m gentle so I don''t mind, but I do like bezal style. Although am open to other styles too.

4. Any recommendations for cheap settings? - on very strict budget ie. $AU500 or less. Happy to get LOGR stuff. Just want plan solitare setting.

Thank very much for all your help.
35.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/28/2009 9:52:05 PM
Author:HotPozzum

Howdy all,

34.gif

1. I have size 4 hands - will a 9mm asscher look ''too big''? or would 7mm be reasonable. (that is only choices I have) an drawn towards larger stone but worried it will look tacky!
I have a size 4.25 finger and enjoy wearing my 9.6 mm cushion spessartite. I even halo-ed it. However, it is up to the individual if she feels comfortable with that size. Some would feel that 7 mm is more reasonable based on her social group. If you feel confident that you can pull it off, then don''t worry about it. Just so you know, I get almost 100% finger converage.
2. Do radiant cut sparkle more than Asscher cuts? Have already got a 2.3ct radiant Danburite and it sparkles like mad. Am worried I will be disappointed when I get my asscher cut.
Coloured gemstones are very different from diamonds. The sparkle factor also depends on the type of gem. Danburites are sparkly, beryls are not. Step cuts are also not meant to sparkle but to flash colour/fire.
3. Can you bezal Danburite? I know it''s 7-7.5 Mohs so it''s softer than usual e-ring stones but I''m gentle so I don''t mind, but I do like bezal style. Although am open to other styles too.
It is possible to bezel it but it also depends on the skill and comfort of the bench person. Do not be surprised that many jewellers will refuse to bezel it.

4. Any recommendations for cheap settings? - on very strict budget ie. $AU500 or less. Happy to get LOGR stuff. Just want plan solitare setting.
I''ll leave this to the setting experts. There''s Stuller, Adwar, LOGR, LanBo and etc.
35.gif

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much Chrono! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
36.gif

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Have a look at LaurenThePartiers collection. She has an amazing bezel diamond asscher as well as a bezelled scap. I wish I had rings that looked as cool.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
I wear a size 5 ring...6 years after marriage I am the mother of 2, changing diapers, doing dishes, and wearing my e-ring all of the time. I have a round stone, set high up. It gets knocked by everything. I am currently looking into a lower setting. My point in all this is:

1 - setting can, and most likely will, be changed over the course of a lifetime as needs change.
2 - think about the next 5 years, so you can at least put it off that long!!
3 - think if this ring will be worn everyday
4 - for my short stubby fingers a round 6.3 mm e-ring and a wedding band takes up almost my whole finger...it''s what I am comfortable with.

I too have become interested in Asscher cuts....please post pics when you make your choice.... Good luck

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I like to have some finger show on each side of my ring. I would be more comfortable with a 7mm stone, especially if you plan to halo it!

Lauren the Partier told me that her 7mm stone haloed in a LOGR ended up being 13 mm x 13 mm. Really really big size I think.

HTH

ETA: Oh you said plain setting for the Asscher! Sorry. I'd say order the larger stone and see how it looks on your hand, maybe even order both and compare them.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 9:52:05 PM
Author:HotPozzum

Howdy all,

34.gif

1. I have size 4 hands - will a 9mm asscher look ''too big''? or would 7mm be reasonable. (that is only choices I have) an drawn towards larger stone but worried it will look tacky!

35.gif

HotPozzum, welcome!
35.gif

I wear a size 4.75, and recently had a bezel set 2.61 ct. Asscher Scapolite made. The stone itself was right around 8.26 mm, and has a tiny bezel around it of about 1.2mm https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-scapolite-is-coming-home-on-saturday-woooo.114733/

original.aspx

I''ll be honest, I find it WAY too big for daily wear, and I couldn''t possibly manage a diamond halo with a stone of this size. It''s really all about your comfort level, but with hobbies including gardening and cooking, my ~5mm Asscher diamond with a bezel setting is perfect for me . . . I think I could go up to 6.5mm with my current e-ring setting very comfortably, but anything bigger and I''d be knocking it about all of the time.
1.gif

Also, my local jeweler (in Dallas, TX) made this setting custom for my stone, and it was only ~$600 USD plus tax. He doesn''t have an online store, but if you would like, I can get his contact information and I''d be more than willing to help you guys figure out shipping, etc.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hot Pozzum,
I can''t address the size issues, but I''m sure my wife would say it never hurts to go larger.
1.gif

Radiant vs Asscher style emerald cuts
Both radiants and asschers will be bright, but their reflection patterns will differ greatly. The radiant should have more ''twinkle'', whereas the asscher will have larger, broader flashes of light and color. I believe it is a matter of taste. The radiant will ''help'' a darker gemstone become brighter, where the asscher may make it appear darker.

An item worth mentioning, since you have some concerns regarding a mounting. The depth ratio for a radiant style emerald cut may be as low as 60%, but generally will be in the 70% range. On the other hand, the asscher''s tend to run deep, as in 80% or higher [height to width] ratio. Here''s an example of an outline that I use often. It is usually for lower Refractive Index gems, but can be adapted to many others. Hope you find this helpful.

Asscher_EmulationForQuartz.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 12:41:00 PM
Author: Roger Dery

Hot Pozzum,
I can''t address the size issues, but I''m sure my wife would say it never hurts to go larger.
1.gif

Radiant vs Asscher style emerald cuts
Both radiants and asschers will be bright, but their reflection patterns will differ greatly. The radiant should have more ''twinkle'', whereas the asscher will have larger, broader flashes of light and color. I believe it is a matter of taste. The radiant will ''help'' a darker gemstone become brighter, where the asscher may make it appear darker.

An item worth mentioning, since you have some concerns regarding a mounting. The depth ratio for a radiant style emerald cut may be as low as 60%, but generally will be in the 70% range. On the other hand, the asscher''s tend to run deep, as in 80% or higher [height to width] ratio. Here''s an example of an outline that I use often. It is usually for lower Refractive Index gems, but can be adapted to many others. Hope you find this helpful.
Great point, Roger! The depth of my 8.2~mm Scapolite is 6.15mm . . . that''s something to take into consideration, as well.

original.aspx

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW that depth is amazingly deep! LOL But I still think I''d like to have an asscher someday.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Lauren! I was hoping you would read this - your ring is my inspiration! I think I will take Bookworm240''s good advice and go for the smaller 7mm for practical reasons.

I am really excited about this project. Only problem is I keep changing my mind! Perhaps i should delay this more but I feel bad about all my emails to Jeff White! Poor guy has been so darn patient with me and my non-existent budget....

17.gif

Still definitely want an asscher cut but now thinking would it be nice in a 3 stone arrangement with purple spinel or sapphires on either side (purple is my favourite colour) Hmmm.... anyone with photoshop skills?

Thank you all you again for your helpful advice and comments.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results