shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

superstumped

Rough_Rock
Been doing some reading up on asschers, and what I hear is that they face up smaller then say a RB. My budget will probably only allow me to get a 1/2 ct for the center.. Will an asscher look good that small? I plan to put it in this setting. I hope the halo will help it to look bigger somewhat.

Anyone have rings that have .50-.70 asschers as a center? Pics if you can!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Have you checked to see if Beverly K makes that setting to accommodate a 1/2 ct? In my opinion it's a whole lot of setting for the size stone you are considering. You don't want the center stone to get swallowed up so if I were you I'd try to stretch my budget for the largest asscher you afford (of course only if it's cut well). It's a gorgeous setting!

Maybe someone who has a similar combination will post a photo.

superstumped

Rough_Rock
Yes I know it is a lot of setting for a 1/2 ct center, but I think it will still be beautiful. If someone can persuade me otherwise, or the setting is not available for that size stone, then I guess I'll have to decide on something else.

My girlfriend loves asschers, which I just learned today from her sister. And she wants a halo around it, but she wants to be able to fit 2 wedding bands flush on either side. This setting is all I've found in my price range, and with bands being able to sit flush against it. I'm hoping it works out, I'm just concerned that an asscher of this size would lose it's "asscher appeal"?

Am I totally off base? I mean, all diamonds of all sizes are beautiful, right?
1.gif

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Imho, a half-carat diamond is way too small for that elaborate halo. Most would face up well under 5mm square. If you feel you can't talk to your GF directly about it, ask her sister to bounce some of these concerns off your GF. Some women want what they want without due consideration to budget constraints which have a significant impact on the final look.

Here's a pic of a ring with a 0.64ct Asscher center, in an antique platinum setting. Was No. 2 in my e-ring selection.

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2100

superstumped

Rough_Rock
Hm, I see. I called Pearlman's and they say that this setting is available for .50ct asschers, so if I can't come up with something else, at least I know that it is an option.

I know she is dead set on an asscher halo, and that she likes pave on the bands.. I'll take a look around. Is there anything with those specifications that wouldn't swallow a .50ct asscher?

On a nothernote that might be important, I know for a fact that baguettes are out. I've heard her talk about baguettes on other people's rings, and let's just say that I am 100% sure that she doesn't like them
20.gif

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think a 0.5 ct asscher would be gorgeous in that setting, although I would try to maximize spread as asschers can vary quite a bit in size for carat weight.

I would consider, if Bev K is able to, bezel-ing the stone to also increase the visual size of the asscher.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an asscher in a halo that might work with a smaller diamond with some adjustments. Contact Wink, if you like the look of my halo. Ask him what it would cost to have something like my setting done with 1/2 pointers in the halo (mine are one pointers) and in a metal other than platinum. Palladium, if Ocean (his designer and the person who made my ring) can work with it, 14K white gold if she prefers that. My setting doesn't overpower the center, and if made to scale for a smaller stone, it might work.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/drumroll-please-my-setting.72011/ is the link to my setting.

superstumped

Rough_Rock
My budget, total, is around $3,000.
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Darn

superstumped

Rough_Rock
Heh, well I have spoken to Julian at Pearlman''s and he said that he thinks even with a .50ct asscher it would still look great, as Beverly K scales the whole setting to match the center. He mentioned that if I buy the setting from them too that they might be able to get me a great deal and perhaps go bigger on the center even with my price range. Cut is my first priority, seeing as it IS a small asscher. I would sacrifice clarity as long as it''s eyeclean and I would sacrfice color as long as it''s not overtly yellow. Near colorless is fine.

I don''t think there''s any way to stretch my budget, and while I could afford the 1ct asscher, that''s all I would be proposing with, as I''d have no money for a setting.
6.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pearlmans is great. I''ve bought from them a few times. Ask for the PS discount... if they offer one. Can''t wait to see what you end up with!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 3:17:02 AM
Author: DiamondFlame
Imho, a half-carat diamond is way too small for that elaborate halo. Most would face up well under 5mm square. If you feel you can''t talk to your GF directly about it, ask her sister to bounce some of these concerns off your GF. Some women want what they want without due consideration to budget constraints which have a significant impact on the final look.

Here''s a pic of a ring with a 0.64ct Asscher center, in an antique platinum setting. Was No. 2 in my e-ring selection.

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2100
Wow that ring is seriously beautiful!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy - I love your asscher ring...if I could do a halo thats exactly how I''d do it. I love the solid metal shank. Then I would
put a diamond band on either side of it! If I could only have been born independently wealthy
39.gif
1.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I actually don't think that setting will swallow a .5ct. I think the fact that the diamond is set higher than the halo will overcome it. What size is your GF's finger?

Gypsy, I covet your ring big time
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 6:35:23 PM
Author: tyty333
Gypsy - I love your asscher ring...if I could do a halo thats exactly how I''d do it. I love the solid metal shank. Then I would

put a diamond band on either side of it! If I could only have been born independently wealthy
39.gif
1.gif

THANK YOU tyty!!!
21.gif
What a lovely thing to say. Ocean is lovely to work for, and it never hurts to call and ask for a quote.

superstumped

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 7:21:45 PM
Author: Porridge
I actually don''t think that setting will swallow a .5ct. I think the fact that the diamond is set higher than the halo will overcome it. What size is your GF''s finger?

30.gif

My gf''s finger size is a 6.
1.gif

Glad to hear that some people think it will look fine. I do too, but I really appreciate all the info and opinions I can get my hands on!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
1/2ct asschers are a personal preference, they are on the small side to get the full asscher effect but some people love them.
A well cut .70 on the other had can be fine the added size makes a real difference.

superstumped

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input Karl! Julian at Pearlman''s said that if I buy the setting from them as well, they might be able to get me a great deal and perhaps I could go bigger on the diamond, keeping my original budget the same! I''m hoping this is an option. I''d like to get a .70ct, but I''d rather get a real beauty of a .50 ct than sacrifice on the diamond for the extra size.

But hey, if Pearlman''s can''t get me a bigger stone even with the discount, then oh well, I''m no worse off than I was before!

I think even if it works out for a .50ct it will still look great. I haven''t ever seen an asscher in person. My gf has though. According to her sister who is my little spy
3.gif
, my gf is in love with asschers!

I sure hope so!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 7:21:45 PM
Author: Porridge
I actually don''t think that setting will swallow a .5ct. I think the fact that the diamond is set higher than the halo will overcome it. What size is your GF''s finger?

30.gif

Thank you Porridge! Covet is VERY high compliment!!!

SuperStumped, I can''t wait to see the final ring!

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
In one sense half carat is rather small for the asscher cut, but in another sense an asscher is a smart cut choice for a half carat.

On the down side, asscher's trademark "hall of mirrors" effect will not be very pronounced in a half carat.

But compared to a round, radiant or princess the asscher has larger, albeit fewer, facets.
This means larger (albeit fewer) flashes of light.

superstumped

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys for all the help, this has been a great (and easy!) ring selection process..

-prepares speech-

I would like to thank my girlfriend''s sister and the lovely people on Pricescope for making this so easy on me and giving me great feedback! Certainly couldn''t have done it without you!

Will be sure to post pictures when the big day comes, but it may be a few months! Probably won''t be able to make the financial leap for about another month or so, and the ring production is 4-6 weeks. But as soon as I get it, pics on the way!

Thanks again!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
36.gif

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of bezeling the center stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results